Camp USA Program Manager
Title: Camp USA Program Manager
Hours: Monday-Friday, 9:30am-5:30pm (with additional hours as necessary as well as on-call duties)
Travel: Domestic – 15% Late February- April, June-August; International – 5% January-Feb
Start Date: Immediate
Salary: Please provide your salary requirements in cover letter.
Camp USA is a dynamic J-1 Visa program operated by InterExchange Inc, a 501(c)(3), non-profit organization located in the SoHo neighborhood of NYC. We are currently seeking a Program Manager to lead and enhance the Camp USA program. The Program Manager reports to the Work & Travel USA Director and is in charge of a small team that facilitates the visa sponsorship process, placement, arrivals and orientation of international counselors and support staff participants that work in American summer camps. This position is communication driven and involves strategic relationship building with summer camps and international cooperating agents. The Program Manager is responsible for maintaining the quality and integrity of the program through careful planning and fulfillment of regulatory compliance.
- Fulfilling Department of State requirements as an Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), Re-designation, and bi-annual reporting.
- Understanding and implementing all DOS regulations regarding Camp Counselor program.
- Managing a small team and providing ongoing training and on-boarding of new staff as necessary.
- Creating, developing, and maintaining relationships with camps that take into account the nuances that make each unique. This will require dedication to phone and email outreach, in–person site visits and conference attendance.
- Acting as liaison between participants/camps and the Department of State as well as between camps, International Cooperators (ICs) and participants.
- Sourcing and developing reliable partnerships with ICs including training and annual evaluation.
- Researching market trends in order to maintain a balance between available applicants and available placements.
- Evaluating camps on an annual basis to ensure quality placements for international program participants including conducting site inspections.
- Determining each participant’s knowledge, skills, experience, and interests in order to best match them with an appropriate camp. This may involve international in-person interviews.
- Conducting content-rich orientation and education sessions for non-native English speakers.
- Providing 24-hour on-call support to participants and camps throughout the summer season. This will include conflict resolution for camps, participants, ICs and other stakeholders.
- Representing the Camp USA program at industry trade shows and conferences.
- Continuously promoting the synergy between the summer camp tradition and meaningful cultural exchange.
- Collaborating with Marketing team to:
- Create and/or update collateral materials as necessary.
- Evaluate program’s strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities to ensure sustained, strategic growth.
- Analyze industry trends and research to inform program fees, prices, and promotion parameters.
- Create participant orientation content and layout.
- Successfully resolving any complaint or problem, which will include on-call availability while participants are actively in-country.
- Visiting participants during their program on location.
- Must be a spontaneous and outgoing people-person who can relate to individuals of all backgrounds.
- Must have great public speaking skills and be able to lead webinars.
- Must be self-motivated, proactive, organized and resourceful.
- Must have a valid drivers license and clean driving record, and must be comfortable driving in remote seasonal areas.
- Must have excellent written communication skills for drafting correspondence and copy.
- Must have experience living or working abroad.
- Must have at least 3 summers of experience working in a summer camp environment in a leadership position.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with camps, co-workers, and business contacts in a courteous and professional manner.
- Must have experience hiring employees to work with camp age children,
- Must have good experience in conflict resolution.
- Must have some experience in Human Resources.
- Knowledge of and skill in using FileMaker Pro, MS Office – Word, Excel and PowerPoint, Go-To-Meeting.
- Experience with SEVIS and maintaining accurate and up-to-date profile dte is strongly preferred.
- Must be legal to work in the US.
Qualified candidates will be self-motivated, flexible, diplomatic, team players, who love working with people and have prior administrative, camp and international travel experience. They will have the ability to adeptly prioritize, then manage multiple projects with strong attention to detail and follow through. They will also be able to intuitively understand the successful participant and camp profile. In other words, they can “think like a camper” and embody the spirit of the camp philosophy and culture.
- Lifting: 0-25 lbs
- Frequency of lifting: infrequent
Visual, Hearing, Dexterity & Mental Demands:
Adequate to perform the essential functions of the job such as using a telephone, answering emails, filing paperwork, viewing a computer screen, and operating office equipment and driving.
The duties and responsibilities are generally performed in an office environment but may require air travel, driving and lodging in hotel/motel accommodations. The position generally involves frequent standing; continuous sitting; frequent walking; light to moderate lifting; light carrying; frequent bending and reaching; keyboarding and telephone operation; in-person communication.
InterExchange is a private, nonprofit organization with more than 40 years of experience in international cultural exchange. We are dedicated to promoting international understanding through development and implementation of affordable intercultural and life experiential work/training opportunities. By participating in our programs both in the U.S. and abroad, tens of thousands of young people and their hosts have gained insight into other cultures. InterExchange is designated by the U.S. Department of State to sponsor several J-1 Visa exchange programs including Au Pair USA, Work & Travel USA, Camp USA and Career Training USA. Program participants are placed in the U.S. and abroad by InterExchange in collaboration with international cooperating agencies and government agencies. Additionally, we offer Work Abroad opportunities for Americans seeking similar experience overseas.
For more specific program information, please visit www.interexchange.org/campusa
To apply, combine your resume and cover letter in the body of an email and reply to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also fax your application to 212-924-0575. Attn: Human Resources.
Your cover letter must include a reason why you would be suitable for this position and for InterExchange. Applicants who do not follow the above instructions will not be considered.