The Christianson Grant is awarded to individuals who have arranged their own work abroad programs. Proposed programs must be at least six months in length and emphasize a work component. The grant program does not support independent research projects or academic study abroad programs.
Award Amount: $2,500 - $10,000
Application Deadlines: March 15, July 15, & October 15
Applicants must be:
- U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents
- Between the ages of 18 and 28
- Participating in a work, internship, or volunteer abroad program.*
- Committed to a program duration of at least six months
- Willing to submit a written report upon completion of their program
* International work must not be part of a degree requirement or for class credit.
How to Apply
Christianson Grants are awarded three times a year. Applications must be received by March 15, July 15, or October 15. Please submit hard copies of all the following materials via mail (electronic documents are not accepted):
- Completed and signed Christianson Grant Application
- Personal essay - A short essay (1 – 2 pages) that answers a question provided on the grant application
- Supplemental essay - A brief essay (2 – 3 paragraphs) that answers a question provided on the grant application
- Two letters of recommendation from academic instructors and/or employers - signed and sealed (may be submitted separately)
- Resume (no longer than 1 page)
- Photocopy of valid U.S. passport or permanent resident card
- $50 non-refundable application fee (check or money order payable to InterExchange, Inc.)
Telephone interviews may be conducted as part of the selection process. Please indicate your contact information and availability on the application form.
Mail Your Application to:
Attn: Grant Selection Committee
161 Sixth Avenue, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10013
Notification & Awarding of Grants
Grant awards are merit based. Grant recipients will be notified approximately 6-8 weeks after each grant deadline. Grants are disbursed to award recipients in two installments. The first installment is disbursed once the recipient’s arrival has been confirmed by a supervisor. The second installment is disbursed upon receipt of a completion report.