Working Abroad Grant
The Working Abroad Grant is available to certain participants who have been accepted into InterExchange’s respected Working Abroad program.
The grants are awarded to applicants who show a high level of commitment to their chosen Working Abroad program. Preference is given toward applicants with limited or no previous international travel experience.
Award Amount: $1,500
Application Deadline: 8 weeks prior to the start of the Working Abroad program
Applicants must be:
- U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents
- Between the ages of 18 and 28
- Accepted to their Working Abroad program of choice and have paid all relevant program fees*
- Willing to submit a written report upon completion of their program
*Grants are not available for participants in Work & Travel New Zealand, Work & Travel Australia, and Language School programs without a volunteer component.
How to Apply
Applications for Working Abroad Grants must be received no later than 8 weeks prior to your program start date. Please submit hard copies of all the following materials via mail (electronic documents are not accepted):
- Completed and signed Working Abroad Grant Application
- Personal essay - A short essay (1 – 2 pages) that answers the following question: How will your work abroad experience help you to become a global citizen?
- Supplemental essay - A brief essay (2 – 3 paragraphs) answering one of the following questions: 1. Explain how your chosen Working Abroad experience will enrich your understanding of the world. 2. What do you wish to learn about the country where you will live and the culture of the people there?
- Two letters of recommendation from academic instructors and/or employers - signed and sealed (may be submitted separately)
- Resume (no longer than 1 page)
- Photocopy of valid U.S. passport or permanent resident card
Telephone interviews may be conducted as part of the selection process. Please indicate your contact information and availability on the application form.
Mail Your Application to:
Attn: Grant Selection Committee
161 Sixth Avenue, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10013
Notification & Awarding of Grants
Grant awards are merit based. Grant recipients will be notified approximately 2-3 weeks after the application has been received. Grant recipients will receive their award once their arrival abroad has been confirmed by the InterExchange international cooperator or a supervisor.