Teach English in Austria
Applications for Teach English Austria programs with start dates before August 31, 2013 are no longer being accepted. Applications for start dates on or after September 1, 2013 are still being accepted. If you want to go abroad this summer, check out our other Au Pair, Teach English, Volunteer and Work & Travel program options!
If you’re looking for an exciting opportunity that allows you to have a true insight into one of the most enchanting countries in the world, consider Teaching English in Austria. You will be welcomed into the home of an Austrian host family and tutor the family in English. Home tutor placements are available throughout all of Austria, including Vienna and Salzburg. As an English tutor, you will enjoy both the beautiful landscape of Austria as well as its rich historical background.
Whether you’re interested in sports, culture, art and food, or just having a good time, you will have a wonderful experience in this beautiful country. Austria’s central European location will allow you to explore neighboring countries such as Italy, Czech Republic, Hungary, Germany, and Switzerland; you can reach these destinations within a few hours by car or train. You’ll provide 15 hours of English language tutoring per week for the children and possibly adults in the host family, mostly on weekdays, in exchange for room and board. Responsibilities include preparing lessons and helping the children and adults with their English conversation skills. Schedules are arranged with your host family on arrival. Your time off is yours to sightsee, enjoy local culture, make new friends, and work on your own German language skills.
As a Participant in Austria, You Will Receive:
- Placement with a carefully screened host family
- A private room and full board
- Pre-departure and in-country assistance from InterExchange and our international cooperator in Austria
- Access to discounted international accident and sickness insurance
- 24-hour emergency assistance
- ISE card – International Student & Youth Exchange Identification Card
- 4-week to 12-week placements are available. Dates of participation will depend on the arrangement made with the host family. The host family will meet participants at the airport, bus or train station.
- Private room with a host family
To teach English in Austria, you must:
- Be 18-40 years old
- Have at least a high school diploma
- Have some previous English teaching or tutoring experience
- Be a native English speaker and U.S. citizen
- Have good lesson planning and organization skills
- Be able to commit to a period of at least 4 weeks
- Be a non-smoker, or be willing not to smoke in the host family’s home
- Be open to foreign cultures and living abroad
- Have a passport that is valid for at least 6 months beyond the end of your stay. U.S. citizens do not need visas to enter Austria and are permitted to stay for up to 90 days.
Interested? Request Information