Teach English in Ghana
A peaceful and welcoming country with a stable democratic political environment, Ghana satisfies one’s appetite for both modern and traditional life. Its wide valleys, low-lying coastal plains, and thick rainforests resound with the beat of traditional rituals, while its cities glow and vibrate with all the bustle of the modern world. Ghanaians are friendly people with a contagious sense of humor. As a teacher, and as a guest with your Ghanaian host family, you’ll have the opportunity to connect with the people and get an authentic insight into Ghanaian life.
Teaching placements are available throughout Ghana. When you arrive in the country, you’ll participate in a week-long orientation. At the end of orientation you may choose the class most suitable for you. Once a class is chosen, you will observe Ghanaian teachers for one week before you begin teaching. Mathematics and English Language are the two most popular subjects. The following positions are available:
- Pre-School Teachers: You will teach children, ages 3-5, songs, games and basic English.
- Primary School Teachers : You will teach children in grades 1-3. Most of the children cannot speak English and are always excited to see volunteers; therefore patience is required as the children may have difficulty settling down.
- Librarian Assistant/Pre-School Attendant: You’ll assist teachers with classroom duties and extracurricular activities.
As a Participant in Teach in Ghana, you’ll receive:
- Placement and housing with a host family
- Meals with your host family (2 meals on weekdays and 3 meals on weekends/holidays)
- Pre-departure and in-country assistance from InterExchange and our international cooperator in Ghana
- Airport pick-up, transportation to project site and 5-day orientation
- Access to discounted international accident and sickness insurance
- 24-hour emergency assistance
- ISE card - International Student & Youth Exchange Identification Card
1 – 8 months
Program Start Date
Arrive every Sunday
- 1 month: $1,195
- 2 months: $1,395
- 3 months: $1,895
- Additional months: $350
To teach English in Ghana, you must be:
- A U.S., Canadian, Australian, or European Union citizen
- A Native English speaker
- In good health
- Covered by accident and sickness insurance (available if needed)
- Meet the Ghana visa requirements
Prepared to pay for transportation to and from the host country, visa processing fees, and personal expenses in Ghana beyond what the program provides.
Interested? Request Information
Ready to Get Started? Apply Now