Volunteer in Ghana
Volunteering in Africa is a rewarding and unforgettable experience. We offer a variety of volunteering opportunities in Ghana, a peaceful and welcoming country with a stable democratic political environment. With its vibrant mix of African traditions and modern development, Ghana is a compelling destination for international volunteering.
Volunteers in Ghana may participate in a wide variety of volunteer projects. When you apply to our program, you may indicate your preference in the type of work you wish to do. Once you’re accepted, we will work with you to find a placement that matches your interests, skills, and abilities. Currently, volunteer opportunities are available in:
- Education: Volunteers are needed at the preschool through high school level, for playing and organizing activities, teaching and administering tests, and assisting with extracurricular activities. Other community initiatives, including a center for teaching employable skills, are also in need of volunteer assistance.
- Forestry and wildlife: Volunteers with our conservation and wildlife projects may work on conservation efforts, including reporting any illegal farming or cutting of trees and assisting centers with their visitor educational programs.
- Public health: Volunteers are needed to assist at hospitals and clinics with community initiatives including, AIDS and safe sex awareness and caring for local patients.
- Social work: Projects supporting street children is in need of volunteers to provide counseling, prepare food and help plan and supervise activities. Volunteers may also follow up with children at their schools and teach classes in some cases.
- Volunteers are needed for a number of other initiatives in Ghana on an as-needed basis. If you are interested in volunteering in Ghana, please contact us so we can determine a placement that matches your interests.
As a Volunteer in Ghana, you receive:
- Placement in a volunteer project that matches your skills and interests
- Airport pick-up & transportation to project site
- 5-day orientation covering cultural adjustment, history, safety and security, transportation, visa extension logistics, a tour of Accra and language, cooking and drumming lessons
- Housing with a carefully screened host family
- Meals with your host family (two meals on weekdays and three meals on weekends/holidays)
- Pre-departure assistance
- In-country assistance from our international cooperator in Ghana
- Access to discounted international accident and sickness insurance
- 24-hour emergency assistance
- ISE card - International Student & Youth Exchange Identification Card
Program Start Dates
Arrive every Sunday
$1,095 and up
To Volunteer in Ghana, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be a U.S., Canadian, or European Union Citizen
- Be covered by accident and sickness insurance
- Meet the Ghana Visa requirements
Interested? Request Information
Ready to Get Started? Apply Now