You want to stay up-to-date on the latest news and government activities that impact the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program. We’re here to keep you informed of what’s going on and how you can take action!
After several months of intense work, our collective advocacy efforts are making a difference. All J-1 exchange programs are moving ahead at full steam and full strength, and Congress and the White House are hearing our message.
Watch an update from Mark Overmann, our VP of External Affairs:
Led by the Alliance for International Exchange, of which we are a member, the international exchange community has many significant advocacy accomplishments:
- 100,000+ letters and calls to Congress in support of J-1 exchange programs
- 26,000+ au pair host families signatories on Change.org petition
- 160+ positive news stories about J-1 exchange programs, in national and local press
- 800+ J-1 supporters joined the Americans for Cultural Exchange coalition [Join now!]
- 33 Representatives and 17 Senators joined bipartisan sign-on letters in support of J-1 exchanges
- A House Resolution in support of J-1 exchange programs
- A host employer call with White House Domestic Policy Council (attended by 283 host employers)
- Letters from Governors in support of J-1 exchange programs [Hogan (MD), LePage (ME), Sununu (NE), Mead (WY)]
- 32 business associations joined a letter in support of J-1 exchanges
- Summer Work Travel Program Review, a research study and report by Eureka Facts, a social science and market research firm
We’ll continue to keep you posted on the latest advocacy updates and on specific action alerts. In the meantime, here are few things you can do:
- Join Americans for Cultural Exchange, a grassroots coalition of J-1 exchange program supporters. There’s no cost or obligation; it’s simply an avenue to show your support. Over 800 American businesses, associations, and community leaders have joined the coalition.
Tell your J-1 story on social media. Post a stories and pictures using the @interexchange handle and #SaveJ1.
Some sample posts are below:
- 25% of our nation’s business leaders say they rely on Summer Work Travel programs to stay open. Support U.S. businesses, #SaveJ1 [image]
- Thank you to the international students who supported our local businesses this summer by participating in the SWT J1 visa program. #SaveJ1 [image]
- Organized by the Department of State, the J1 visa Au Pair program comes at no cost to U.S. taxpayers, and benefits many American working families. Help us #SaveJ1 and #SaveAuPair [image] [link]
- America’s families depend on the J1 visa Au Pair program, and the Trump administration plans to cut it despite broad bipartisan support. Let’s #SaveJ1 and #SaveAuPair [image]
- America’s sleepaway camps rely on international camp counselors. Without them, many would have to reduce operations or even close. Help us save summer camps and #SaveJ1. [image] [link]
- Summers aren’t the same without our J1 international camp counselors. #SaveJ1 and help save our summer camps [image]
- American businesses rely on the J1 Exchange Visitor Program’s trainee program to help train American staff on overseas markets and business practices. Now it might be eliminated. Help us #SaveJ1. [link] [image]
- #SaveJ1 and help American businesses expand their markets through the J1 visa intern & trainee programs [link] [image]
- J-1 Exchange Visitor Program Talking Points
- Americans for Cultural Exchange J-1 Support Statement
- Primer on visiting or calling your elected officials
- SWT Economic Impact Study by EurekaFacts
- SWT Heat Map
- Alliance for International Exchange SWT Fact Sheet
- J-1 Exchanges State Fact Sheets
- EurekaFacts Study: Impact of SWT Program Fact Sheet
- Buy American, Hire American (BAHA) Executive Order: J-1 Exchange Visitor Program Under Attack Fact Sheet
See a full round-up of the latest news stories concerning the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program on the Americans for Cultural Exchange “In the News” page.