During a recent Cluster meeting I asked our current au pairs what advice or ideas they would have for incoming au pairs in this area – especially since we have four arriving in the next three weeks! Here are their thoughts:
I was glad I packed/brought:
- Medicines from home, laptop, cellphone & favorite candy/snack
- Fun things to see in New York (during training):
- Times Square, City Tour – not much time for anything else!
To get settled in your new Host Family’s home:
- Bring the children/family gifts from your country (candy, small toys, etc.)
- Talk a lot – just dive in and try your English
- Don’t be afraid to ask lots of questions
- Explore your new neighborhood
- Good advantage if previous or nearby au pair can show you around
If/when you get homesick:
- Go out, do something
- Find activities: Gym, school classes, etc. Be busy!