Advice For New Arrivals From Local InterExchange Au Pairs
During a recent Cluster meeting I asked our current au pairs what advice or ideas they would have for incoming au pairs in this area – especially since we have four arriving in the next three weeks! Here are their thoughts:
I was glad I packed/brought:
- Medicines from home, laptop, cellphone & favorite candy/snack
- Fun things to see in New York (during training):
- Times Square, City Tour – not much time for anything else!
To get settled in your new Host Family’s home:
- Bring the children/family gifts from your country (candy, small toys, etc.)
- Talk a lot – just dive in and try your English
- Don’t be afraid to ask lots of questions
- Explore your new neighborhood
- Good advantage if previous or nearby au pair can show you around
If/when you get homesick:
- Go out, do something
- Find activities: Gym, school classes, etc. Be busy!
Experience life in the U.S. while living with a welcoming American family.Sign Up Learn More Call Us
Au Pair in the U.S.
Experience life in the U.S. while living with a welcoming American family.
Spend an exciting year living in the U.S. as an au pair providing child care to an American family. Experience a new culture and create life-long memories along the way! We're here to help you apply for your visa and find a great host family, and provide support throughout your au pair year.
Learn about life abroad
Read about the adventures others have had and get excited for yours.