Halloween Safety For Kids and Au Pairs
We bet you’ve been looking forward to trick-or-treating with your host kids! Trick-or-treating is an American tradition straight out of the movies, and we’re thrilled that you get to experience it. Have a memorable and safe Halloween by following these safety tips.
- Talk to your host parents about what streets you can trick-or-treat on.
- Only stop at houses with the outside lights on.
- Stay on the sidewalk when walking and hold younger children’s hands.
- Carry a flashlight with you.
- Watch out for cars, and always follow proper safety rules when crossing the street.
- Be on the lookout for jack-o-lanterns and candles. These are fire and tripping hazards.
- Carry extra layers in case the temperatures get cold.
- Stay off your phone and give your host kids your full attention.
Say Thank You
Halloween is another chance for you to share your culture! Teach your host children how to say “Thank You” in your native language. Encourage them to practice it every time they’re given a piece of candy.
- Ask your host parents how much candy your kids can have and where to store it at home. Many families keep the candy in a specific place in the house so that your host kids can’t eat it all at once!
- Before your host child eats a piece of candy, inspect it to make sure it’s completely sealed and closed, without any tears. Throw away candy that could have been open before.
- Eat a snack or dinner before trick-or-treating so that your kids aren’t hungry.
- Throw away any homemade treats, like cookies or fruit, unless you know the person who gave them to you and your host parents say it’s safe.
- If you have young host children, ask your host parents what types of candy they can have. Small, round candy is a choking hazard.
Brush Your Teeth!
When you get home and finish enjoying your sweets, help your host children brush their teeth. Make it fun by opening a new, colorful toothbrush, singing a silly song, or making faces in the mirror.
Childcare you trust and your kids loveSign Up Learn More Call Us
Host an Au Pair in the U.S.
Childcare you trust and your kids love
For over 30 years, we’ve provided American families with an easy way to find qualified au pairs from around the world. Welcoming one of our carefully screened international au pairs is a budget-friendly, flexible way to provide loving, live-in care for your children. It’s a culturally rich experience that will benefit your entire family.
Learn about life abroad
Read about the adventures others have had and get excited for yours.