InterExchange Insurance

2 minutes

Accident & Sickness Insurance
A Guide to Using Insurance in the United States

Health care in the U.S. is very different from health care in other countries!

Non-emergencies - You must have a regular doctor whom you can see for non-emergency accidents and illnesses like a cold or sore throat.

Emergencies – You should only visit urgent care centers, hospitals, or emergency rooms if there is an actual emergency, such as a broken bone or serious cuts and burns. Costs for using emergency rooms for non-emergency illnesses can be up to 75% more expensive.

Accident & Sickness Insurance Guide:

Before arrival:

  • Familiarize yourself with your insurance policy
  • Be sure to understand the maximum amounts of coverage, the services/procedures that are covered, deductibles, co-pays, etc.
  • Basic accident & sickness insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions (e.g. diabetes, asthma, etc.). If you require regular care, a more comprehensive health insurance policy will be required.
  • Bring any medications that you take on a regular basis with you and ask your doctor to write a prescription if you will need a refill in the U.S.
  • Find a general doctor in your U.S. city who accepts your insurance policy

After arrival:

  • Locate and record the addresses of the urgent care centers and emergency rooms near your housing.
  • Speak with your host employer about Workers' Compensation Insurance coverage
  • Workers' Compensation Insurance should cover you if you are injured on the job.
  • Please inform your employer immediately after being injured so that they can file a Workers' Compensation claim.
  • For a non-emergency accident or illness:
  • Call your doctor's office, discuss your symptoms, and schedule an appointment.
  • For an emergency:
  • Go to an urgent care center or emergency room.
  • If you are going for emergency care by yourself, try to go to an urgent care center rather than an emergency room, if possible. They can provide you high-quality emergency care but at a lower cost.
  • If you require an ambulance, you will be taken to the nearest emergency room.
  • Keep records of all receipts and paperwork from your medical visits
  • In order to receive reimbursement, most insurance providers require you to submit a claim form for each incident
  • Make copies of all receipts and claim forms before sending them to your insurance provider
  • Send your claim form as soon as possible after your visit

If you purchased insurance through InterExchange Career Training USA, please also do the following:

  • Read details concerning your coverage and policy
  • Search for a general doctor in your U.S. city
  • Review the emergency medical contact information, insurance documents available for download, and useful phone numbers for customer service and claims information.
  • Remember to submit a claim form for each incident. Even if the doctor sends a bill to our insurance provider, you MUST submit a claim as well in order to receive reimbursement.
Matthew Graves Matthew Graves

A fan of independent cinema and proponent of the Oxford comma, Matthew began his career at a Miami-based tech startup before returning to West Virginia University to pursue his M.A. in World Languages. He has worked at InterExchange since 2006 and currently serves as a Brand Marketing Manager.

Career Training USA
Career Training USA

Experience American culture and add international skills to your resume.

Sign Up Learn More Call Us
U.S. Department of State-Designated J-1 Visa Sponsor
Alliance for International Exchange
Exclusive partner of the Erasmus Student Network for J-1 Visa sponsorship of internships in the U.S.
European-American Chamber of Commerce New York
Generation Study Abroad
Global Ties U.S.
International Au Pair Association
WYSE Travel Confederation