If you happen to be looking for a cost effective way to cure homesickness, look no further. We have created a list of cultural food markets for those of you living on the West Coast in Los Angeles to get all the supplies you need to cook your favorite dishes from back home. Or, if you are feeling adventurous, from anywhere else in the world! Living on your own in a new country can be difficult and expensive — cooking some familiar flavors from home can help with homesickness and can be a cheap alternative to eating out if you know the right places to shop.
Check out our list of ethnic food markets and grocery stores in the Los Angeles area to guide your search for some ingredients that might not be available at your typical American grocery store.
- Grand Central Market- Downtown-Variety
The largest open-air market in L.A. has been in operation since 1917. You can find nearly anything you need from a plethora of Latin American and Asian vendors.
- Surfa's- Culver City- Variety
Different cuisines require unique kitchen tools and Surfa's has it all. Whether you are cooking or baking treats from home, you can find what you need to make it here.
- Rincon Argentino- Glendale- Argentinean
Despite its size, this tiny deli offers a diverse selection of Argentinean groceries and homemade empanadas.
- Catalina's Market- Hollywood- South American
For Argentinean and South American cooking needs, find a great selection of marinated meats and authentic desserts at this enticing store!
- El Gaucho Meat Market- Redondo Beach- South American
This market has a great selection of marinated meats for your next South American BBQ.
- Indian Sweets and Spices- Atwater Village- Indian
A conjoined Indian grocery and restaurant where you can get your spice fix!
- Simpang Asia- Palms- Indonesian
A popular hangout for Indonesian locals, this café and grocery store offers food and supplies for your Indonesian home cooking needs.
- Mitsuwa Marketplace- Centinela Avenue - Japanese
A great place for Japanese groceries and provisions!
- Nijiya Market- Various Locations-Japanese
Full Japanese grocery store where you can find snacks and drinks to fresh produce and meats.
- Han Kook Supermarket- Wilshire Center-Korean
Full Korean supermarket to find good and affordable Korean staples.
- Galleria Market- Koreatown- Korean
Another popular Korean supermarket option for all of your kimchi needs!
- Bangkok Market-Wilshire Center- South Asian
Find curries and spices for your South East Asian cooking needs here.
- Far East Supermarket- Chinatown- Chinese
Find Chinese and general Asian supplies here for those nights you want something Pan Asian.
- Eastside Market Italian Deli- Downtown- Italian
One of the last remaining true Italian Deli's, this institution has been offering some of the best and most delicious Italian foods in the city since 1929.
- Epicure Imports-North Hollywood-French
A provider of gourmet French specialty foods, you can visit this store for samples of cheese and chocolates and stock up on what you need for the French chef within you!
African and Middle-Eastern
- Merkato Ethiopian Restaurant & Market- Little Ethiopia- Ethiopian
A full Ethiopian grocery and restaurant to satisfy the dorowat fan in you.
- Payless International Market- Palms- Mediterranean, Middle Eastern
Huge selection of produce on the cheap. This store is also said to have a great selection of Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisine ingredients.
- Super Sun- West Los Angeles- Persian, Middle Eastern
Cheap Middle Eastern grocery full of interesting authentic foods.