Extend Your J-1 Visa Program!

2 minute read

Did you know that as a J-1 intern or trainee, you may have the opportunity to extend your program in the U.S.? If your program is currently less than the maximum allowed for interns and trainees, then you are eligible to apply for an extension.

You may now be asking, "Well, what's the maximum I can extend for?"

Good question!

If you are an intern or a Hospitality/Tourism trainee, then you may stay for a total of 12 months. This means, if your current program is 4 months, you can stay up to 8 more months. All other trainees may stay for a total of 18 months.

These limits are set by the U.S. Department of State. Unfortunately, it's not possible to extend your program longer than these maximums. And it's also never possible to change from an intern to a trainee.

If you are not at the maximum program length and would like to continue interning or training, you must then apply for an extension. InterExchange only accepts extension applications 30-60 days before the end of your program. Not sure when that is? Check your DS-2019 form to find out, then go back 60 days to determine when you are eligible to apply.

So now, it's 30-60 days before your program ends and you are ready to apply. Great! The first thing you will need to do is email us for an application. Just email training@interexchange.org and say you want to extend your program. We will send you all the paperwork you will need to submit.

When you and your employer have completed the application materials, send them to training@interexchange.org. Once we receive a full application and the extension program fee, we will review your application—the processing time is about 1-2 weeks. If your application is accepted, we will send you a new DS-2019 form that will allow you to continue interning or training in the USA.

You may now be wondering, "What about my visa? It expires at the end of my original program! Do I need a new one?"

The answer is no. You do not automatically need a new visa when you extend. This is because your new DS-2019 form is all you need to continue interning or training in the U.S. Your visa is only needed when entering the U.S. from another country. The only reason you would need a new visa would be if you were to travel abroad during your extension program AND your initial J-1 visa had expired. In that case, you would need to get a new visa from an embassy outside the U.S. before being allowed to re-enter the country.

And that's all you need to know about extending your J-1 Visa program. If you have any further questions, you can always email us at training@interexchange.org and we'll be happy to help!





Career Training USA
Career Training USA

Experience American culture and add international skills to your resume.

Sign Up Learn More Call Us
U.S. Department of State-Designated J-1 Visa Sponsor
Alliance for International Exchange
The International Coalition for Global Education and Exchange
European-American Chamber of Commerce New York
Global Ties U.S.
International Au Pair Association
WYSE Travel Confederation