'Strange U.S. Laws '
2 minute read
Laws are set up to protect our rights and make sure all persons living in a city, state, or country are safe. Most laws make sense. Stealing, violence, destruction of property, disturbing the peace--these are all illegal, and for good reason!
Some other laws...don't make as much sense. Here is a collection of some of the strangest U.S laws that we could find.
- It is illegal to wrestle a bear in this state. If you make it out of the wrestling match in one piece, you will still have the police to contend with.
- Sunshine is guaranteed by law. So far, California has made good on this promise.
- A vehicle without a driver may not go faster than 60 miles per hour. How an unmanned vehicle would get that fast in the first place is not explained.
- It is illegal to sing in a public place while wearing a swimsuit. If you are going to sing in a public place, make sure you are fully clothed.
- If you leave an elephant tied to a parking meter, you must pay the meter or you will be charged with a ticket. Assuming the parking enforcement officer is brave enough to approach a 2-ton elephant, they will slap you with a heavy fine.
- Happy Hour drink specials are illegal. Fortunately, the bars are still open but be prepared to pay full price for your after-work drinks.
- There is a $25 fine for flirting. If you are going to flirt with someone, they better be worth it.
- A person may not walk around on Sundays with an ice cream cone in his/her pocket. Thankfully, you are welcome to transport your ice cream in your pocket any other day of the week.
- In New York City, you may not greet another person by "putting one's thumb to the nose and wiggling the fingers". Not only does it look silly, it will land you in trouble with the law.
- It is illegal to slurp your soup. Please drink it slowly and silently.
- In Newark, NJ, it is illegal to sell ice cream after 6pm, unless the customer has a note from his doctor. Please have your prescriptions ready before you purchase any evening desserts.
- You cannot sleep on top of a refrigerator outdoors. But you may sleep on top of any refrigerator you want in the privacy of your own home.
- It is illegal to sing in the bathtub. Please save your singing for your shower.
- You may not catch a fish with your mouth. No word on whether any bears have been jailed yet during salmon season.
- You can be legally married by publically introducing a person as your husband or wife 3 times. If you've already done this twice, be sure you really mean it the third time.
- It is also illegal to flirt in the city of San Antonio. It's unclear what would happen if you flirt with someone while introducing them as your spouse three times.
Originally from Columbus, Ohio, Ani is a fan of exploring new places through photography and the local cuisine. After earning her BFA in photography from NYU and gaining communications experience at International Planned Parenthood Federation, she joined InterExchange in 2012, and worked as the Marketing Producer until 2016.
Career Training USA
Experience American culture and add international skills to your resume.Sign Up Learn More Call Us
Learn about life abroad
Read about the adventures others have had and get excited for yours.