It may still feel like August in New York, but fall is here! And there are many autumn activities and events that can be great cultural exchange opportunities for international participants in the United States. Here are some suggestions of ways interns and trainees can experience U.S. culture on their own or with other staff members.
- Visit a pumpkin patch or go apple picking! If it's available in your area, local orchards and farms often offer fruit picking and fun fall-related events like hay rides, candy apples, corn mazes, apple cider and more.
- Look for fall festivals in your local community. Carnivals, farmer's markets, Halloween activities and other events can be a fun way to meet new people, spend time with new friends and experience life in the U.S as a local.
- Have a Halloween party! Halloween is not often a major holiday in other countries, so show off this fun side of U.S. culture to your intern/trainee. Encourage staff to wear their best costumes and offer prizes for best dressed, get staff to help with decorating, and serve treats like candy corn or other fun Halloween snacks.
- Find a local hiking or walking trail and see the changing leaves while it's still warm enough for a nice walk outdoors. Our Cultural Compass guide provides Outdoor Activities and information on state parks for all 50 states!
- Catch a football game. Fall is associated with football season, so find out about any local high school, college or professional football games. Or you can even organize a game of flag football in the park with staff and friends.
Let us know what fun fall activities you've experienced with your international staff! We love hearing from both employers and participants.