- Discovery Green: This park is relatively new in Houston but has become a hugely popular spot for picnics, nature walks, concerts and other outdoor events. It has a lake, grass lawns, jogging trails, bocce courts, gardens and two on-site restaurants.
Port of Houston Boat Tour: All aboard the M/V Sam Houston! The Port of Houston Authority offers a free 90-minute boat cruise along the Houston Ship Channel. Take in the sights and learn about the port's history. Make a reservation here.</li>
- Bubba's Texas Burger Shack: Serving up burgers for over 25 years, this Texas joint calls itself "home of the buffalo burger." Take a look at the menu and give one a try!
- The Menil Collection: Always free, this museum has an extensive collection of 20th century works but also features pop art and contemporary art.
- Miller Outdoor Theatre: This outdoor theatre in Hermann Park is not to be missed. It offers an 8-month season of professional-level performances and they are always free of charge to the public. You can view the calendar of events here.
- Chacho's: This popular, late-night spot serves Mexican food on the cheap, with huge portions! Try the fajita plates.
- Houston Arboretum and Nature Center: Explore the long walking trails on a nice day and learn about wildlife. Open daily with free admission.
- The Waterwall: The Gerald D. Hines Waterwall is an architecturally stunning fountain, considered one of the most photographed locations in all of Houston. Located in the Uptown neighborhood, this landmark and surrounding park are worth checking out.
- Barnaby's Café: Try this place for a satisfying breakfast or brunch in Houston. There are a few locations, so check out their website to find the one closest to you.
- Heritage Society Museum: Check out this free, small museum in Sam Houston Park, dedicated to preserving Houston's history. </ol>
InterExchange Career Training USA is a top J-1 Visa sponsor for university students and young professionals who have already secured internships or training programs with companies in the U.S. If you still need to find an internship or training program in the U.S., check out our resources and start the J-1 Visa sponsorship process early.
Originally from Columbus, Ohio, Ani is a fan of exploring new places through photography and the local cuisine. After earning her BFA in photography from NYU and gaining communications experience at International Planned Parenthood Federation, she joined InterExchange in 2012, and worked as the Marketing Producer until 2016.