Participant Spotlight: Nadia S. from Tunisia
Interview with Nadia S., current Intern USA participant from Tunisia doing a 6-month internship with World Affairs Council of Dallas/Fort Worth.
George P. Shultz, 60th United States Secretary of State and his wife, Charlotte Mailliard Shultz with Nadia S. Charlotte Mailliard Shultz is also the Chief of Protocol for the state of California. The picture was taken at the World Affairs Council of Dallas/Fort Worth Annual Mallon Fundraising Dinner.
What were the professional goals you wanted to achieve through this program?
- Learn more about American culture
- Work in a fast paced environment
- Learn American business practices
- Meet new people and expand my network
Describe your training program.
I am an intern in the Marketing and Communications department, working on expanding the World Affairs Council of Dallas/Fort Worth online presence. I am helping manage social media platforms including: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn under the supervision of the Vice President of Marketing and Communications of the Council. I am also part of the team that manages the Council’s AdWords campaigns through a $10,000/month grant the Council received from the Google for Non-Profits program.
I am also interacting with Council members, board members, ambassadors and diplomats from around the world. Public figures I have met include:
- 43rd U.S. President, George W. Bush and Laura Bush
- Nicholas Kristof, The New York Times columnist and winner of two Pulitzer Prizes
- Ben Bernanke, 14th Chairman of the Federal Reserve
- David McCullough, American author, narrator, historian, and lecturer
- George P. Shultz, 60th United States Secretary of State
- Mike Rawlings, Mayor of Dallas
- Greg Gutfeld, host of The Greg Gutfeld Show on the Fox News Channel
- Richard Fisher, former President and CEO of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas
In addition to the professional experience, what have you enjoyed most about working with your employer?
What I like most about my internship is the consistent guidance of my supervisor and the marketing team. The Council encourages innovation. All my recommendations and ideas are taken into consideration, assessed and implemented if proven effective. I enjoy interacting with all my coworkers, talking to Council members and hearing talks involving public figures. The working environment is also extremely collaborative.
Describe two or three successes you’ve achieved during your program so far.
- Securing $10,000/month to spend on AdWords from the Google for Non-Profit program
- Expanding the Council’s online presence
- Interacting with diplomats, American politicians and business leaders at Council events
What are some of the skills that you’ve been able to develop? Describe how you might apply these skills in your profession when you return to your home country.
- Non-Profit management
- Google advertising platforms
- Social media platforms management
- Writing formal correspondence
- Understanding of American politics
- Public speaking
- Grant writing
- Strategic partnerships
I will help my home country, Tunisia, by implementing all that I have learned during my internship in my next job and projects to attract more American investors and expand trade opportunities between the United States and Tunisia.
Share examples of how you’ve learned more about U.S. culture and how you’ve shared your culture with others.
I have attended several sports events such as, a Cowboys game, a basketball game and a hockey game. I have visited the Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza and attended several cultural events in Dallas and Fort Worth. On the other hand, I shared my culture by delivering five presentations about Tunisia/the Arab Spring at universities, and elementary schools in North Texas.
What would you tell a friend from your own country to encourage him/her to do an internship through InterExchange?
This is the best internship experience I have had so far. The visa application process was very smooth and all the information were reliable. What I liked most is the consistent assistance from an InterExchange representative that I received every time I was having a specific question. The level of guidance from InterExchange was extremely helpful before and during my internship.
Experience American culture and add international skills to your resume.Sign Up Learn More Call Us
Learn about life abroad
Read about the adventures others have had and get excited for yours.