How To Improve Your Spanish Skills Quickly
Learning Spanish quickly doesn’t have to look like the classes you took in high school. Whether you’re new to the language or you want to work on your Spanish fluency, there’s a method for everyone.
Students learning Spanish on an immersion program in Costa Rica. Image courtesy of InterExchange
Don’t put yourself in a box; mix and match strategies from these three learning styles to create your path to conversational Spanish.
For The Visual Learner
You prefer to ‘see’ things as you learn, and have a strong pictorial memory.
- Watch your favorite TV show or movie in Spanish or with Spanish subtitles. Knowing the plot will help you decipher the words!
- Set your phone and social media settings to Spanish, so you take it in all day.
- Put together or purchase flashcards with pictures. Post a few around the house near their corresponding items until you’ve learned them.
- Read books in Spanish: children’s books, young adult novels, or your favorite series.
For The Traditional Learner
You prefer classic methods like memorization, lectures, and reading.
- Join a class at your local community college.
- Try an online lecture series.
- Utilize a language learning app, so you can practice anytime, anywhere.
- Create a self-study routine, complete with color-coded highlighters.
- Pore over your old textbooks, flashcards, and notes.
For The Hands-On Learner
You prefer physical movement and social interaction.
- Practice at Spanish-speaking places in your community, like a Hispanic grocery store or Latin restaurant.
- Enlist a Spanish-speaking friend to text and talk to you in conversational Spanish.
- Join a language exchange program, either in your area or online.
- Adventure to a new country on a Spanish immersion program.
- Sing the Spanish version of your favorite English song, or check out the Latin Billboard charts for extra cultural exchange.
Learn Spanish in Peru
Explore Cusco and beyond while improving your Spanish proficiency!
Living and learning in Cusco, Peru, provides you with the opportunity to improve your language proficiency in leaps and bounds. You'll become a member of your Spanish-speaking host family members while enjoying home cooked meals!
Learn about life abroad
Read about the adventures others have had and get excited for yours.