5 Tips to Help Work & Travel USA Participants File 2014 Tax Returns

2 minutes

Please share the following tips with InterExchange Work & Travel USA participants who were paid by your company at any time during 2014:

If you received a paycheck during your work and travel program in the U.S. during 2014, taxes were likely withheld from your pay. It's important that you file a tax return with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) by April 15, 2014 in order to receive any refund that you may be due.

5 Things To Know About Filing Taxes:

1. U.S. law requires that J-1 Work & Travel participants pay federal, state and local taxes on earned income while in the United States. This includes income from salaries, wages and tips.

2. You should receive a W-2 Form from your employer before you file your taxes. This is a document issued by your employer that shows your total earnings in 2014, as well as the amount of tax you already paid. If you did not receive a W-2 Form from your employer, please contact them immediately.

3. Work & Travel participants on a J-1 Visa are required to file Form 1040NR-EZ with the IRS for their federal U.S. individual income tax returns. Download Form 1040NR-EZ and filing instructions from the IRS website.

4. State and local taxes may have also been withheld from your paycheck. This depends greatly on the state you were working in. Some states do not have a personal income tax; others may tax income as much as 8%. Similarly, local taxes will vary but will be lower than state taxes. Please ask your employer if you are required to file a state and/or local tax return.

5. As non-resident J-1 Visa holders, employees are generally not required to pay social security and Medicare taxes. For more information on tax regulations for exchange visitors to the U.S., please visit the IRS webpage on Taxation of Non-Resident Aliens.

You may be eligible to file your taxes directly with the IRS for free. Visit the IRS website to find out more. The IRS also offers a complete list of companies who can help you file your federal taxes. Be cautious, as many websites offer free federal tax filing; however, they may charge a separate fee to help you file your state tax forms.

InterExchange Work & Travel USA is not a licensed tax advisor, and we cannot provide official tax advice. Please contact a professional tax advisor or the IRS to determine your individual tax situation.

Ani Kington Ani Kington

Originally from Columbus, Ohio, Ani is a fan of exploring new places through photography and the local cuisine. After earning her BFA in photography from NYU and gaining communications experience at International Planned Parenthood Federation, she joined InterExchange in 2012, and worked as the Marketing Producer until 2016.

Work & Travel USA
Work & Travel USA

Experience American culture while working and exploring the USA

Sign Up Learn More Call Us
U.S. Department of State-Designated J-1 Visa Sponsor
Alliance for International Exchange
Exclusive partner of the Erasmus Student Network for J-1 Visa sponsorship of internships in the U.S.
European-American Chamber of Commerce New York
Generation Study Abroad
Global Ties U.S.
International Au Pair Association
WYSE Travel Confederation