When people think of travel, they associate it with freedom, excitement and liberation from the everyday grind. Although all those attributes ring true, there are a few emotions that have not full on come to surface until recently: loneliness and doubt.
These words have such a negative stigma to them, but having encountered them recently, I think that they are important. We need to acknowledge it's all a part of the process – it's a sacrifice you take when leaving your comfort zone.
All in all, traveling brings about so many emotions in everyone. It makes you question your very inner-being while at the same time strengthening the core of who you are. Therse are the 23 emotions I have encountered while traveling in New Zealand represented through song.
1. Every single going-away encounter you have before the big move.
One More Time by Daft Punk
2. The euphoria you feel once you step off the plane and realize that your longing dream is now a reality.
The Dreamer (SAMURAII EDIT) by The Tallest Man On Earth
3. The confidence you try to keep having coming over alone and not having a place to live or a job.
Girl On Fire by Alicia Keys
4. When you haven't made any friends and it's week two.
Loser by Beck
5. That first night on the town with your new friends.
Heads Will Roll by Yeah Yeah Yeahs
6. When your Sunday Funday includes skipping rocks and napping by the lake for 5+ hours.
Steal My Sunshine by Len
7. Having a warm coffee outside in winter weather when you know it's still summer at home.
Horchata by Vampire Weekend
8. Being self-determined to pick up a new hobby and slowly…sometimes very slowly…improve.
#thatPOWER by will.i.am
9. Every morning waking up.
Go Outside by The Cults
10. When people start to ask you, "But, what are you doing? Aren't you concerned about your future?"
I love It – Icona Pop, Charli XCX
11. When you're totally bumming on the other side of the world and you get to Skype with your family.
You've Got the Love by Florence and The Machine
12. The first time you feel the rawness of questioning what you are doing.
The Climb by Miley Cyrus
13. When your best friend starts to hear about all the new friends you are making.
Always Be My Baby by Mariah Carey
14. When you meet someone at the bar and see them the next day only to have them call you Michelle, or Rebecca, or….uhmm, what's your name?
That's Not My Name by The Ting Tings
15. When you get let go from your first job … yes, this really happened to me.
On To The Next One – Jay Z
16. Realizing that if you knew exactly what you'd be doing for the rest of your life in your 20s, you'd probably be bored by 30.
Teenage Crime by Adian Lux
17. Planning your next adventure even though you are still on your first one.
I Can't Stop by Flux Pavilion
18. Travel Romance - Type 1
Let's Get Lost – G-Eazy
19. Travel Romance – Type 2
Stolen Dance by Milky Chance
20. When your friends and family back home have an issue and call you up.
You've Got a Friend by James Taylor
21. … and then you start to talk about what you are going to do when they come visit you.
Bangarang by Skrillex
22. The hopefulness you get that one day Beefeater Gin and Jameson won't be $60.00+ in every packy here. #StruggleIsReal
Anything Could Happen by Ellie Goulding
23. The happiness you get when you wake up able to do all the things you love to do.
Dog Days Are Over by Florence and The Machine