- U.S. citizen or permanent U.S. resident
- 18-28 years old at project start date
- Participating on-site in an internship or volunteer abroad project for at least 6 months
- Demonstrate interest in project topic and outline specific project goals and impact measurables
- Possess specific skill(s) to contribute to community abroad
- Excited to learn about another culture and share one’s own
- Willing to submit blog posts and a written report upon project completion
- Benefits local community
- Sustainable (project can continue after fellow leaves and/or effects are long-term)
- Involves collaboration and interaction with local residents and community leaders
The fellowship does not support independent research projects or academic study abroad programs. Projects must not be part of a degree requirement or for class credit.
- Project/program details:
Outline your tasks, project goals, and how these goals will be measured. In light of COVID-19, describe any restrictions related to travel to and from the project location and the safety measures and protocols that are in place at your project location.
Detailed budget (including proof of all fees—estimated costs are acceptable)
Essay (one to two pages) that answers each part of the following question:
Detail the specific skills and experience you will contribute to your host organization and what you hope to learn during your project/program. Explain how you will apply this experience to your future plans.
- Two signed letters of recommendation: one may be from an academic instructor and the other must be from a supervisor, employer, or coach (submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by recommender). Prompt for recommenders:
Please speak to the applicant’s maturity, adaptability, communication style, leadership potential, and other characteristics that you have first-hand knowledge of that would help us assess the overall suitability for success on the service project abroad.
Resume (no longer than one page)
Photocopy of valid U.S. passport or permanent resident card
$50 non-refundable application fee