The Community Impact Grant is awarded to motivated Working Abroad participants who devise or improve a project that will positively impact their host community, contribute to improved cross-cultural communication, and demonstrate American values and respect for local culture. Grantees also share their experiences via regular blog posts about their project.
Get creative! This is an opportunity to take initiative and develop, or improve upon, a sustainable project that benefits your host community and has immediate impact.
What do we mean by sustainable?
We mean projects that have long-term impact. If you create an English library at your school, current and future students have access to the resources—that’s long-term impact! Even if the project is a one-day event, the knowledge imparted can have a lasting effect. Projects should be eco-friendly, as well.
- Cleaning a polluted river or lake
- Fixing a deteriorating playground
- Creating an English library in your school
- Renting audio equipment for a community English festival
Up to $1,500
Grant applicants must be
- U.S. citizens
- Participating in an InterExchange Working Abroad program at least 12 weeks in length
- Preferably at least four weeks into their program at time of application
- Able to submit clearly defined project objectives
- Project must not be political or religious in nature
- Approval from InterExchange’s international partner
- Willing to blog about their project for InterExchange