The Working Abroad Grant is available to certain participants who have been accepted into InterExchange’s respected Working Abroad program.
The grants are awarded to applicants who show a high level of commitment to their chosen Working Abroad program. Preference is given toward applicants with limited or no previous international travel experience.
Application Deadline: Approximately eight weeks prior to your Working Abroad program start date. Flexibility is given depending on the timing of the placement confirmation from our Working Abroad team.
Working Abroad Grant applicants must:
- Be U.S. citizens or legal permanent residents
- Be between the ages of 18 and 28 during your program
- Have been accepted to their Working Abroad program and have paid all relevant program fees for a minimum program commitment of six weeks*
- Be willing to submit a written report upon completion of their program
*Grants are not available for participants in Work & Travel programs or all paid Teach English programs.
Applications for Working Abroad grants must be received no later than eight weeks prior to your program start date. Please submit hard copies of all the following materials via mail (electronic documents are not accepted):
- Completed and signed Working Abroad Grant Application
- Personal Essay - Please provide an essay (one to two pages) that answers the following question: How will your international work opportunity contribute to better cross-cultural understanding?
- Supplemental essay - A brief essay (two to three paragraphs) answering one of the following questions: 1. Explain how your chosen Working Abroad experience will enrich your understanding of the world. 2. What do you wish to learn about the country where you will live and the culture of the people there?
- Two letters of recommendation from academic instructors and/or employers - signed and sealed (may be submitted separately)
- Resume (no longer than one page)
- Photocopy of valid U.S. passport or permanent resident card
Telephone interviews may be conducted as part of the selection process. Please indicate your contact information and availability on the application form.
Mail your application to:
Attn: Grant Selection Committee
100 Wall Street, Suite 301
New York, NY 10005
Grant awards are merit based. Grant recipients will be notified approximately two to three weeks after their application has been received. Grant recipients will receive their award once their arrival abroad has been confirmed by an InterExchange international cooperator or a supervisor.