Cultural Exchange and Being an Au Pair
Being an au pair gives you the opportunity to experience another culture through your host family. You have a vital role to play as an informal American ambassador to facilitate this exchange between two different cultures. You will be a young, global citizen immersing yourself in new customs, language, and traditions, and concurrently teaching your host family about your own culture and background. This cultural exchange with your host family is a key component to the au pair program.
- How does your host family intend on sharing its culture with you?
- How can you share your culture with your family? Will there be a scheduled day every week when this exchange happens?
- Would you like to integrate language sharing with your family? How?
Please have your host family briefly describe the following to you:
- Typical meals and/or diets particular to your host family
- Customs that are important to your host family and/or community
- Holidays that are special to your host family and how they celebrate
Ask your host family for a list of local attractions that would help introduce you to your local community:
- Historical Sites