What is SEVIS?
The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is a computerized U.S. Government system that collects and manages data about international students and exchange visitors during their stay in the United States. SEVIS keeps track of all InterExchange Career Training USA participants while they are in the U.S. and records where you live, where you intern or train, and your legal status on the Career Training USA program.
Important SEVIS Information
All program participants must contact InterExchange Career Training USA within 10 days of arriving in the U.S. to register with SEVIS.
Failure to register or update SEVIS might:
- Delay your Social Security application and/or prevent you from receiving a Social Security card. You cannot get paid for your internship/training program until you have applied for a Social Security Card.
- Increase your risk of having your program terminated, which will require you to leave the country immediately.
- Jeopardize your ability to obtain another visa to enter the U.S. in the future.
Important: Be sure to follow the steps below in order to comply with SEVIS policies:
- Before you depart for the U.S., watch the required InterExchange online orientation and complete the orientation quiz.
- It is very strongly recommended that you complete this orientation BEFORE you depart for the U.S. in order to ensure the smoothest possible transition to the U.S. and to prevent any unnecessary delays or issues when entering the U.S.
- If you are unable to watch the orientation prior to your arrival, you must complete this required orientation no more than 10 days after arriving in the U.S. or you cannot remain on the program.
Access the orientation by logging into your online application. Remember, InterExchange cannot activate your SEVIS record until you watch the orientation and complete the orientation quiz.
How to Activate Your SEVIS Record
Within 10 days of arriving in the U.S., you must let us know that you have arrived so that we can activate your SEVIS record. You will receive an email from us asking you to complete our arrival webform, which will ask you to confirm the following information:
- Your exact arrival date into the U.S.
- Your residential address in the U.S.
- Your mobile and residential phone number (if you have one) in the U.S.
- Your date of birth
- Exact arrival date of your dependents (if applicable)
If you do not confirm your arrival with InterExchange within 10 days, your program will be ended and you will have to leave the U.S. immediately.
Keep Your SEVIS Record Accurate
You will be contacted by InterExchange Career Training USA every 30 days throughout the program, asking you to verify all of the information we have on file for you.
- If your U.S. address, phone number, or email address change, you must notify us within 10 days of the change.
- If you quit your internship/training program or if you are terminated from your position, you must contact InterExchange Career Training USA immediately.
- As an Intern/Trainee, you are required to intern/train for the entire duration of your program. If you quit or are terminated from your internship/training program, you will have 30 days to locate a new host employer and complete the Change of Host Application.
- If you are unable to secure a new host employer, your program will be ended in SEVIS, and you will have to return home.
Note: You must respond to each communication within 10 days in order to remain on the program. Maintaining accurate SEVIS information is essential, as is responding to all communications sent from InterExchange Career Training USA.
Next: Housing Information »