Effective Date: December 13, 2010
Information Collection and Use
We collect personally identifiably information (“PII”) and non-personally identifiable information (“Non-PII”, together with PII, collectively, “Information”) for the following purposes:
- Providing Services
- Contacting or notifying you
- Payment fulfillment
- Marketing and communications with you in relation to the Services
- To improve our content and product offerings as well as to customize our Web site's content and layout
- Performing market research via surveys to better serve your needs, improve the effectiveness of our Services, your experience, our various types of communications and/or promotional activities
- To match program participants to employers
- To verify program participant qualifications and requirements for work, study and volunteer programs
- To verify employer quality and hosting capabilities
- To verify family quality and hosting capabilities
- To verify program participant quality and suitability
- For referral purposes
- For auditing purposes
- To provide empirical information for U.S. Department of State reports
- To process visa paperwork
- Legal compliance
- User traffic patterns
- To pre-fill fields
- To maintain, protect and improve our Services
- Ensuring the technical functioning and optimization of our network
- Developing new services and products
Types of Personally Identifiable Information We Collect and From Whom
We collect PII when you voluntarily provide it to us or when you authorize us to collect it on your behalf.
The type(s) of PII we may collect from you are set forth below.
- First and last name
- Company name
- Company, home, postal or other physical address
- Other contact information, including telephone number(s), e-mail address(es), other online contact information, such as a screen name that reveals an individual’s email address, a persistent identifier, such as a customer number held in a cookie or processor serial number, that is combined with other available data that identifies an individual, account information (user name and password)
- Telephone number, including mobile and VOIP numbers
- Date of Birth
- Government issued ID information, including social security, passport and tax payer identification numbers
- Emergency contact information
- Personal health information
- Transaction-related information, including, credit card, routing or other preferred means of payment or billing information
- Third party personal information, such as name and email for referral purposes
- Employment history
- Immigration history
- Criminal history
- Any other Information needed to provide you with our Services
- Examples of scenarios where you may provide or we may obtain your PII include, but may not be limited, to:
- Emailing, calling, accessing, using or communicating with us
- Requesting information, data or material
- Completing Forms
- Background checks
- Setting up accounts
- Payment fulfillment
- Customer service
- Technical Support
- Participating in an online survey
- Requesting inclusion in an email or other mailing list
- Submitting an entry for a contest or other promotions
- Filling out a questionnaire
- Logging in to the Services
- Any other business-related reason
We will inform you of the purpose for the collection and we do not intend to share or transfer your PII with/to third parties without your consent, except under the limited conditions described below. If you choose to provide us with your PII, we may communicate with you at the contact information you have provided. We may combine the Information you provide with information from other Services or third parties in order to provide you with our Services, a better experience and to improve the quality of our Services. For certain Services, we may give you the opportunity to opt out of combining such information.
As part of your registration you are agreeing to receive communications from us and other third parties in order to provide Services to you. While you may opt out from receiving certain types of marketing communications such as our marketing emails, you may not opt out of receiving Service related communications. When your account is deactivated or canceled, you will receive an email confirming such action. We reserve the right to contact you at any time regarding subscription renewals, profile deactivation, account cancellation, and other membership-related problems or questions. In addition, without limiting any of the foregoing, we reserve the right to communicate with you after your account is deactivated or canceled, for any compliance related matters, including, but not limited to, legal, visa and program related issues.
When you access our Web site, our or our service provider’s servers automatically record information that your browser sends whenever you visit a website. These server logs may include information such as your web request, Internet Protocol address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your browser.
When you access our Web site, we or our service providers may use invisible pixels, sometimes called web beacons, to count how many people visit certain web pages. Information collected from invisible pixels is used and reported in the aggregate and does not contain personally identifiable information. IEX may use this information to improve our Services, including, marketing programs and content.
IEX Services on other Websites
Information Disclosure to Third Parties
We share your PII with third parties only in limited circumstances where we believe such sharing is 1) reasonably necessary to provide Services, 2) legally required, or, 3) permitted by you. We may disclose your Information to government authorities, and to other third parties when compelled to do so by government authorities, at our discretion. We also may disclose your Information when we have reason to believe that someone is causing injury to or interference with our rights or property, other users of the Services, or anyone else that could be harmed by such activities. We may also report Information about your account to credit bureaus.
The security of your sensitive PII is important to us. IEX and/or its third party providers use best industry security measures to protect against the loss, misuse, and alteration of sensitive PII collected by and/or provided to us and under our or such third party provider’s control. No security system is completely secure. Accordingly, we and our third party providers cannot guarantee the complete security of your Information.
Links to Other Websites
Send to a Friend/Colleague
When you ask us to invite or send information to a friend or colleague, we will send them a message on your behalf using your name. The invitation or message may also contain information about the person’s business with IEX. In the case of an employer, it might say something like “XX Employer is an employer client of InterExchange’s Work & Travel USA program”. We may also send up to two reminders to them in your name. If they do not want us to keep their information, we will also remove it at their request.
IEX or it service providers may offer location-enabled services. If you use those services, IEX may receive information about your actual location (such as GPS signals sent by a mobile device) or information that can be used to approximate a location (such as a cell ID).
In the unlikely event that we believe that the security of your sensitive PII in our possession or control may have been compromised, we may seek to notify you of that development. If a notification is appropriate, we would endeavor to do so as promptly as commercially reasonably possible under the circumstances, and, to the extent we have your e-mail address, we may notify you by e-mail. You consent to our use of e-mail as a means of such notification. If you prefer for us to use another method to notify you in this situation, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the alternative contact information you wish to be used.
When you contribute to a public area or feature of our Services, such as a chat room, bulletin board, list serve, wall, blog, wiki or other open forum that we may make available on or through our Services, the information that you submit may be made available to the general public. For this reason, we recommend that you do not submit any sensitive information, including your full name, home address, phone number, other information that would enable other users to locate you (including photos and videos), or financial information on these areas of our Services. We are not responsible for the personally identifiable information you choose to submit in these forums. You grant us full royalty free permission to use any testimonials, reviews, photos or videos or other Postings you may post on or about our Services for any purpose whatsoever.
Data Transfers Across International Boarders
With identity theft a continuing problem, it has become increasingly common for unauthorized individuals to send e-mail messages to consumers, purporting to represent a legitimate company such as a bank or on-line merchant, requesting that the consumer provide personal, often sensitive information. Sometimes, the domain name of the e-mail address from which the e-mail appears to have been sent, and the domain name of the website requesting such information, appears to be the domain name of a legitimate, trusted company. In reality, such sensitive information is received by an unauthorized individual to be used for purposes of identity theft. This illegal activity has come to be known as "phishing."
If you receive an e-mail or other correspondence requesting that you provide any sensitive information (including your password or credit card information) via e-mail or to a website that does not seem to be affiliated with our Web site, or that otherwise seems suspicious to you, please do not provide such information, and report such request to us at email@example.com .
Control of Your Password
You may not disclose your password to any third parties or share it with any third parties. If, despite the foregoing, you lose control of your password, you may lose substantial control over your personally identifiable information and may be subject to legally binding actions taken on your behalf. Therefore, if your password has been compromised for any reason, you should immediately change your password.
IEX does not seek to obtain nor does it wish to receive personally identifiable information directly from minors; however, we cannot always determine the age of persons who access and use our Services. If a minor (as defined by applicable law) provides us with his/her data without parental or guardian consent, we encourage the parent or guardian to contact us to have this information removed and to unsubscribe the minor.
Questions, Comments or Changes to Your PII
If you have any questions or comments, or wish to change the PII we have about you, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.