Less than 20% of placements left! Want to work & travel in Canada? 🇨🇦 Sign up today! (for U.S. passport holders only)
Want to work & travel in Canada? 🇨🇦 Sign up today!
Share your adventures from a cultural immersion summer through American Adventure Quest now.
U.S. Residents
Camp USA
Camp Counselor
Camp USA

Insurance Information

Watch this video to learn about the healthcare system in the U.S. 

Access your insurance documents and view coverage details.

Here is a Seeking Treatment Quick Reference Guide.

Insurance Options

InterExchange offers two plans to Camp USA participants. You can review each:

Extending Coverage for your travel period

Your insurance coverage begins one day before your program start date and ends one day after your program end date as listed on your placement offer and DS2019 form. Insurance for your 30 day travel period is not included. We highly recommend you have medical coverage for any travel periods before/after your program dates and you may extend your coverage at any time for an additional cost. Please contact InterExchange directly for payment details and date modifications. 

Upgrading Coverage 

Included as part of your Camp program, you will be enrolled in the “Standard” Camp insurance plan providing you with all the core benefits you will need when abroad. If you would like to increase your insurance coverage you have the opportunity to upgrade your insurance plan to the “Premium” Camp insurance plan, which offers a much higher level of coverage and lower out of pocket expenses.

Benefits of upgrading:

  • Lower deductible from $150 to $25 per injury/illness!
  • Increase your coverage to $1,000,000
  • 100% coinsurance, even outside of the PPO network
  • A range of additional benefits, not included in the Standard plan like trip delay, personal liability, mental illness and more!

If you would like to purchase the Premium Plan, you can do so anytime before you depart your home country. This plan gives you insurance for 4 months, so your travel period should be covered!

To upgrade or extend your insurance, please contact us at [email protected] for cost and payment details.

Prescription Medication

Bring any medications you are currently taking with you, as the cost for prescription medication can be very expensive in the U.S. You should bring with you a valid prescription or doctor’s note-written in English and bring no more than you need for your personal use during your stay. Pre-existing conditions are not covered, but medication for sickness and accidents that occur during your program can be filled at any pharmacy and paid upfront directly to the pharmacy. Keep copies of your receipts and the prescription label to submit a claim for reimbursement!

Workers’ Compensation

Workers’ Compensation is insurance that provides benefits for workers who are injured or become ill as a direct result of their job.  InterExchange does not provide workers’ compensation coverage for their participants, but this is something that will be provided by your employer to cover you if you are to get sick or injured during working hours.

Participants who become sick or injured while performing the duties of their employment should file claims with the worker’s compensation plan first. We would also suggest filing a claim with your InterExchange plan as secondary, in case worker’s compensation does not apply. For any questions regarding worker’s compensation requirements, we suggest contacting your employer directly.

Traveling and Health Insurance

Your health insurance plan does not cover you if you go on vacation back to your home country and get sick. The insurance plan does cover you if you get sick while on vacation in all other countries. Additionally, the Standard Plan only covers you during your contracted work dates. This does not include your 30 day travel period. If you would like to extend your coverage, please contact us for information about the cost and plan options. 

Seeking Treatment 

  1. Teladoc. Your plan includes Teladoc virtual telemedicine. This should be your first option when seeking non-emergency care from the comfort of your camp. Learn more here. 
  2. In- Network. For all other conditions, you need to visit providers that are part of the UnitedHealthcare Network (UHC). Search online at UHC Network Search
  3. Appropriate Care. If you cannot use Teladoc, ALWAYS visit an Urgent Care, Walk-in Clinic or local doctor as your primary method for seeking medical care. The Emergency Room (ER) is only to be used in REAL  emergencies, and you will have to pay more to seek treatment from the ER. 
  4. Claims. It is your responsibility to make sure your claims are paid! Please complete a claim form and submit that to the claims team for each new condition you seek medical care for. 

Student Zone

You can find more information about your insurance plan, how to seek treatment and tracking your claims online in your Student Zone.

What is a co-pay?

Depending on where you seek treatment, you may be required to pay a copay, instead of your plan deductible. The copay will apply per visit if you visit an Urgent Care Center or Walk-in Clinic. Please review your plan details through your Student Zone to confirm the copays included in your plan.

What is a deductible?

This is the amount you must pay out of your own pocket towards medical expenses before the insurance company is obligated to pay – outside of the USA, this is also known as excess.

Under your insurance policy, you have a deductible that you’ll be required to pay once per injury or illness. This amount will depend on your plan. Your plan also includes an additional deductible for visiting the Emergency Room. This is waived if you are admitted as an inpatient overnight. Make sure to review your policy documents to confirm your plan deductibles before seeking treatment. You can access your plan details through your Student Zone.

If your bill exceeds your deductible/Emergency Room deductible, you will have to pay the entire bill; if it is more than your deductible, then you will only pay the deductible and the insurance company will pay the remaining amount of qualified expenses.

When I telephone the doctor to make an appointment and they request the name of my insurance, what do I tell them?

The plan utilizes the UnitedHealthcare Network, so when calling or talking with providers, please mention this name or show the provider a copy of your insurance ID card with the UnitedHealthcare logo on it for network recognition. Alternatively, or if any issues arise, please call International Medical group using the phone number on the back of your ID card immediately for assistance.

Can I go to any doctor?

Yes, you are free to visit any provider you wish. When going to an in-network provider that accepts the UnitedHealthcare Network, the doctor’s office should be able to send the bill to the insurance company directly for payment, meaning you won’t have to pay upfront for your visit (with the exception of your plan deductible or copay).

If you visit an out-of-network provider, you will likely need to pay for the services upfront and then file a claim to be reimbursed for your eligible medical expenses.

You can find providers that accept your insurance plan through your Student Zone.

What does my insurance not cover?

Common exclusions on your insurance plan include dental (teeth), vision (eyes), pre-existing conditions, birth control pills, long-term treatment, and regular exams/check-ups. However, please visit the Student Zone for a copy of your insurance brochure that will contain a full listing of the plan exclusions, or contact International Medical group directly to verify your benefits

What should I do if I am feeling suicidal?

Some, but not all, mental health expenses will be covered by your insurance plan. Mental health care can be expensive and not all doctors or clinics offer these services. If you are feeling suicidal, we suggest you contact one of the following organizations:

Your plan also includes access to DialCare Virtual Emotional Wellness. You can learn more about this service here.

Should I go to a hospital emergency room?

We generally recommend that you visit a doctor’s office or urgent care clinic for treatment. You will likely have a shorter wait time, and urgent care clinics tend to be much less expensive than hospital emergency rooms. Generally, you should ONLY visit a hospital emergency room if you are experiencing a serious injury or a life-threatening illness.

Please keep in mind that your plan includes an additional Emergency Room deductible that you will be responsible for paying if you are not admitted as an inpatient, so we only suggest visiting the ER in a true emergency.

Can I access telemedicine?

Yes. Your insurance plan includes access to Teladoc Virtual Telemedicine at no cost to you.

Telehealth visits are great to use if you are not sure what kind of doctor you need to see and for non-emergency situations. They are available 24/7 and can connect you to doctors all over the U.S.

What if I lose my insurance confirmation card?

Please visit the Student Zone to access an electronic copy of your insurance card. You may also reach out to the Envisage Global Insurance Contact Us page to request that a new card be emailed to you.

What do I need to take with me when I go the doctor’s office?

You should take with you:

  • Insurance confirmation card with your Individual Policy Number
  • Passport (to use as identification)
  • DS-2019 Form (just in case they need to see it)

Who/where do I get my individual insurance policy number from?

Your insurance ID card contains both your Member ID, which is unique to you and is your individual policy number, as well as your Group ID, which is the same for all participants under the plan. If the doctor’s office has any questions about your coverage, they can contact the insurance company using the phone number on the back of your insurance ID card.

What is a claim form?

It is a form you must fill in after going to the doctor in order for the insurance company, International Medical Group (IMG), to pay your medical bills. If your visit was the result of an accident, you’ll also want to complete the accident questionnaire. You can download your claim forms through the Student Zone, or submit this through your online claims account.

Who has to file a claim form?

All participants who go to the doctor must file a claim form, even if you did not have to pay for your visit upfront. This form needs to be completed once per condition.

When should I file the claim form?

As soon as possible after going to the doctor’s office. If you wait too long to file a claim, your medical expenses may not be covered by your plan.

What does the insurance company need from me in order to process the refund?

If you were required to pay out of pocket for your visit, you’ll need to submit a signed and dated claims form, and a fully itemized statement of charges from your visit (a complete list of everything the doctor’s office has charged you), with the diagnosis written on the attending physician’s (that is, the doctor whom you saw) letterhead. You’ll also want to include a copy of the receipt showing you paid for the services upfront.

(If my medical provider sent the bill directly to the insurance claims department, do I still have to fill out a claim form?

Yes. Even if you did not pay for your visit, you will still need to submit a claim form so your medical bills can be processed as quickly as possible. We would suggest also submitting any documents you received during your visit with your claim to ensure your claims are processed as quickly as possible.

How do I find out the status of a claim?

You can check on the status of your claim through your online claims account, or by contacting the IMG directly. You can view this information through your Student Zone.

International Medical Group can be contacted at:

  • Phone: (855) 731-9445 (24/7 toll-free) or +1(317) 927-6806 (24/7 Direct Dial)
  • Email: [email protected]

I received an unpaid bill from the doctor’s office I visited. What should I do?

First, call the doctor’s office to ask if they have submitted the bill to the insurance company. If they did not receive your correct insurance information, you may give them your insurance details from your insurance ID Card so that your claim can be processed. If the bill was submitted but has not yet been processed, please log into your online claims account to check the status of your claims or contact International Medical Group in order to find out why it has not yet been paid.

I am unhappy with the results of my insurance claim. What steps can I take?

If a claim has been processed and you are not happy with the results, you can request that International Medical Group review the claim again. You can submit your appeal with supporting documents to [email protected]. Please note the appeal process normally takes 90 days to complete, and you’ll receive an email from IMG with the outcome of the review.

Camp Counselor Participant collage

Get started today

It’s free to start an application and nothing is due until you accept a job offer.