Training Plan Guide

A step-by-step guide for completing the DS-7002 Training/Internship Placement Plan

Intern-Specific Requirements


Currently enrolled full-time in a degree or non-vocational, professional certificate program in a college, university, or other post-secondary academic institution of higher education outside the U.S.


Have graduated from such an institution no more than 12 months before program start date, and submit an application more than 8 weeks before this eligibility expires.

Interns must have finished at least 1 year of their degree program and have completed sufficient academic coursework in their academic field before their program start date in order to be sufficiently prepared for their U.S. internship.

Up to 12 months

Internship must be directly related to academic field of study

Yes, if previous participant is a current student or recent graduate (current students must return to school for at least one semester before reapplying for the Intern visa)

Trainee-Specific Requirements​


Must hold a degree or non-vocational, professional certificate from a college, university or other post-secondary academic institution of higher education outside the U.S. and at least 1 year of related professional experience from outside the U.S.


Have at least 5 years of related, full-time professional experience from outside the U.S.

All trainee applicants must also be able to document their current and previous related occupational experience from current/former employers outside the U.S, and it must be clear from recent work experience that the participant is actively pursuing their career outside of the U.S.

Up to 18 months

*Hospitality programs cannot exceed 12 months regardless of your visa category.

Training program must be directly related to occupational field/work experience

Yes, but previous participant must wait at least 2-years after the end of a previous J-1 Intern or Trainee program before reapplying. (This applies to all participants and is not related to Rule 212(e).)

Additional Requirements

All program participants must also

  • Understand that the purpose of this program is not to serve as a work program but a cultural exchange opportunity for interns and trainees and the employees of the host companies.
  • Complete an internship or training program with an eligible host employer.
    IMPORTANT: Review our requirements for employers who want to host.
  • Complete and submit a full application, including full payment of program fees and all required supporting documents.
  • Be at least 18 years old.
  • Be interviewed in-person, over the phone, or via webcam by InterExchange or an approved InterExchange partner.
  • Have verifiable English language skills and possess comprehension of English terminology within your field.
  • Be covered by sufficient accident & sickness insurance for the length of your stay in the United States prior to your arrival, in accordance with U.S. State Department regulations. Insurance is included in your program fee and may not be declined.
  • Be able to prove access to sufficient funds to support themselves during their time in the USA (including housing and living costs). All of your sources of funding should amount to at least $1500 per month of your program. If you will not be paying for housing, the total should amount to at least $750 per month of your program.
    NOTE: InterExchange will also factor in your monthly compensation into this amount. If you are getting paid by your internship employer you must still demonstrate that you have access to funding to cover any settling in costs. This is typically enough for 2-3 months, but this may vary depending on your location and situation.
  • Be involved in an internship or training program in a field that InterExchange is designated to sponsor, including: Arts & Culture; Management, Business, Commerce & Finance; Hospitality & Tourism; Information Media & Communications; Public Administration & Law; and the Sciences, Engineering, Architecture, Mathematics and Industrial Occupations.
    NOTE: InterExchange cannot sponsor training programs in medicine, teaching, social work, or manual labor. If you are looking to participate in a hospitality program, please be sure to review our hospitality requirements.
  • Be applying for the J-1 Visa from outside the USA throughout the application and review process. If you require a change of status to obtain the J-1 Visa, you will not be eligible to apply through InterExchange.
  • Have not recently completed a degree and/or optional training program (OPT) within the USA.
  • Similarly, if you recently spent a significant amount of time in the U.S. on a visa or tourist waiver, you may not be eligible to apply at this time. Contact InterExchange to discuss your circumstances before applying.
  • Show that, if completing additional J-1 Intern/Trainee USA programs, they are learning new or more advanced skills in their new program than those learned in the prior J-1 Intern/Trainee USA program.
  • In most cases, InterExchange will not approve applicants wishing to return to the same host employer at which they completed a previous program. Candidates should contact us to discuss further if this applies.

Sponsored Fields​

InterExchange Career Training USA sponsors programs in six general categories. Please review the following categories to determine whether your proposed field of training is included. If it is not, we may not be able to sponsor your field. Please contact InterExchange or the overseas cooperator assisting you with your application, if applicable, to discuss your proposed field if it is not listed below.
Arts and Culture
  • Arts Management
  • Cinematography and Film/Video Production
  • Commercial and Advertising Art
  • Commercial Photography
  • Costume Design
  • Cultural Resource Management and Policy Analysis
  • Design and Applied Arts
  • Design and Visual Communications
  • Digital Arts
  • Directing and Theatrical Production
  • Documentary Production
  • Drama and Dramatics/Theatre Arts
  • Dramatic/Theatre Arts and Stagecraft
  • Fashion Apparel/Design
  • Film/Cinema Studies
  • Film/Video and Photographic Arts
  • Game and Interactive Media Design
  • Graphic Design
  • Historic Preservation and Conservation
  • Illustration
  • Industrial Design
  • Intercultural/Multicultural and Diversity Studies
  • Interior Design
  • Intermedia/Multimedia
  • International/Global Studies
  • Museology/Museum Studies
  • Music Management and Merchandising
  • Music Technology
  • Music Theory and Composition
  • Playwriting and Screenwriting
  • Technical Theatre/Theatre Design and Technology
  • Theatre/Theatre Arts Management
  • Visual and Performing Arts
  • 3‐D Modeling and Design Technology/Technician
  • Aeronautical/Aerospace Engineering Technology/Technician
  • Aerospace
  • Aerospace, Aeronautical, and Astronautical/Space Engineering, Other
  • Agricultural/Biological Engineering and Bioengineering
  • Architectural Drafting and Architectural CAD/CADD
  • Architectural Conservation
  • Architectural Design
  • Architectural Engineering
  • Architecture (BArch, BA/BS, MArch, MA/MS, PhD)
  • Artificial Intelligence and Robotics
  • Astronomy and Astrophysics
  • Atmospheric Sciences and Meteorology
  • Audio Engineering Technology/Technician
  • Biochemistry
  • Bioenergy
  • Biological and Biomedical Sciences
  • Biological and Physical Sciences
  • Biology/Biological Sciences
  • Biomathematics and Bioinformatics
  • Biomechanics
  • Biomedical/Medical Engineering
  • Biophysics
  • Biotechnology
  • Botany/Plant Biology
  • Building/Construction Site Management/Manager
  • Business Analytics
  • Cartography
  • Chemical Engineering
  • Cheminformatics/Chemistry Informatics
  • Chemistry
  • Civil Drafting and Civil Engineering CAD/CADD
  • Civil Engineering
  • Climate Science
  • Computational Mathematics
  • Computer Engineering
  • Computer Hardware Engineering
  • Construction Engineering
  • Data Analytics, General
  • Data Science, General
  • Data Visualization
  • Drafting/Design Engineering Technologies
  • Ecology
  • Economics and Computer Science
  • Electrical and Computer Engineering
  • Electrical and Electronic Engineering Technologies
  • Energy Systems Engineering, General
  • Energy Systems Technologies/Technicians, Other
  • Engineering
  • Engineering Mechanics
  • Engineering Physics
  • Engineering Science
  • Engineering Technologies
  • Engineering Technology
  • Environmental Biology
  • Environmental Design/Architecture
  • Environmental Design, Other
  • Environmental Engineering Technology/Environmental Technology
  • Environmental Geosciences
  • Environmental Science
  • Environmental/Environmental Health Engineering
  • Financial Analytics
  • Food Science and Technology
  • Forest Sciences and Biology
  • General Merchandising
  • Genetics
  • Geological and Earth Sciences/Geosciences
  • Geological/Geophysical Engineering
  • Geotechnical Engineering
  • Geothermal Energy Technology/Technician
  • Hydroelectric Energy Technology/Technician
  • Industrial Design
  • Industrial Engineering
  • Interior Architecture
  • Landscape Architecture (BS, BSLA, BLA, MSLA, MLA, PhD)
  • Manufacturing Engineering
  • Materials Engineering
  • Materials Science
  • Mathematical Economics
  • Mathematics and Atmospheric/Oceanic Science
  • Mathematics and Computer Science
  • Mathematics and Statistics
  • Mechanical Engineering
  • Mechanical Engineering/Mechanical Technology/Technician
  • Mechatronics, Robotics, and Automation Engineering Technology/Technician
  • Metallurgical Engineering
  • Microbiological Sciences and Immunology
  • Mining and Mineral Engineering
  • Molecular Biology
  • Motorsports Engineering Technology/Technician
  • Natural Resources and Conservation
  • Natural Sciences
  • Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering
  • Neuroscience
  • Nuclear Engineering
  • Nutrition Sciences
  • Ocean Engineering
  • Petroleum Engineering
  • Philosophy, Politics, and Economics
  • Physical Sciences
  • Physics
  • Physics and Astronomy
  • Polymer/Plastics Engineering
  • Structural Engineering
  • Surveying Engineering (NEW)
  • Surveying Technology/Surveying
  • Sustainable Design/Architecture
  • Transportation and Highway Engineering
  • Water Resources Engineering
  • Wind Energy Technology/Technician
  • Accounting
  • Accounting and Business/Management
  • Accounting and Computer Science
  • Accounting and Finance
  • Actuarial Science
  • Advertising
  • Auditing
  • Banking and Financial Support Services
  • Business Administration and Management, General
  • Business and Personal/Financial Services Marketing Operations
  • Business, Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services, Other
  • Business/Commerce
  • Construction Management
  • Construction Project Management
  • Credit Management
  • Digital Marketing
  • E-Commerce/Electronic Commerce
  • Engineering/Industrial Management
  • Fashion Merchandising (no fashion design)
  • Finance
  • Finance and Financial Management Services
  • Financial Planning and Services
  • Financial Risk Management
  • Human Resources Management and Services
  • Human Resources Management/Personnel Administration
  • Insurance
  • International Business/Trade/Commerce
  • International Finance
  • International Marketing
  • Investments and Securities
  • Logistics and Materials Management
  • Marketing
  • Marketing Research
  • Marketing/Marketing Management
  • Merchandising and Buying Operations
  • Non-Profit/Public/Organizational Management
  • Operations Management and Supervision
  • Public Finance
  • Public Relations
  • Public Relations/Image Management
  • Purchasing
  • Retailing and Retail Operations
  • Risk Management
  • Sales
  • Small Business Administration/Management
  • Culinary Arts/Chef Training
  • Hospitality Administration/Management, General
  • Hospitality Administration/Management, Other
  • Hospitality and Recreation Marketing Operations
  • Hotel/Motel Administration/Management
  • Resort Management
  • Restaurant/Food Services Management
  • Tourism and Travel Services Management
  • Tourism and Travel Services Marketing Operations (NEW)
  • Tourism Promotion Operations
  • Advanced Legal Research/Studies
  • Arts and Entertainment Law
  • Compliance Law
  • Criminal Law and Procedure
  • Cybersecurity Defense Strategy/Policy
  • Economics, General
  • Energy and Environmental Policy
  • Human Resources Law
  • Insurance Law
  • International Business and Law
  • Labor and Industrial Relations
  • Law (LL.B., J.D.)
  • Legal Professions and Studies
  • Patent Law
  • Political Science and Government
  • Public Administration
  • Public Policy Analysis
  • Real Estate and Land Development Law
  • Transportation Law
  • Urban Studies/Affairs
  • Animation
  • Audiovisual Communications Technologies/Technicians
  • Broadcast Journalism
  • Business/Corporate Communications
  • Business and Economic Journalism
  • Cinematography and Film/Video Production
  • Cloud Computing
  • Communication
  • Communication and Media Studies
  • Communication Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric
  • Communication Management and Strategic Communications
  • Communications Technology
  • Computer/Information Technology Services Administration and Management
  • Computer and Information Sciences
  • Computer and Information Sciences and Support Services
  • Computer and Information Systems Security
  • Computer Game Programming
  • Computer Graphics
  • Computer Programming
  • Computer Programming/Programmer
  • Computer Science
  • Computer Software and Media Applications
  • Computer Software Engineering
  • Computer Software Technology/Technician
  • Computer Systems Analysis/Analyst
  • Computer Systems Networking and Telecommunications
  • Computer Systems Networking and Telecommunications, Other
  • Computer Technology/Computer Systems Technology
  • Cultural Journalism
  • Design and Visual Communications
  • Digital Communication and Media/Multimedia
  • Graphic Communications
  • Graphic Design
  • Health Communication
  • Human‐Centered Technology Design
  • Information Resources Management/CIO Training
  • Information Science/Studies
  • Information Technology
  • Journalism
  • Journalism, Other
  • Management Information Systems
  • Management Information Systems and Services
  • Mass Communication/Media Studies
  • Organizational Communication
  • Photographic and Film/Video Technology/Technician and Assistant
  • Photojournalism
  • Political Communication
  • Prepress/Desktop Publishing and Digital Imaging Design
  • Publishing
  • Radio
  • Radio and Television
  • Radio and Television Broadcasting Technology
  • Recording Arts Technology/Technician
  • Science/Health/Environmental Journalism
  • System Administration/Administrator
  • Technical and Business Writing
  • Web Page
  • Web/Multimedia Management and Webmaster

Insurance Information

  • InterExchange arranges the same insurance coverage for J-1 and J-2 Visa holders. Insurance details can be found on our insurance resources page.
  • J-2 Visa holders must be insured for their entire stay and pre-purchase insurance for the number of months they will be in the U.S.
  • If arriving before the start date indicated on your DS-2019 Form, you must purchase additional insurance to ensure you are covered during this time frame. InterExchange will order your insurance upon arrival in the U.S., and you will receive an insurance card via email within approximately two-three days of your arrival.
  • Please note that this is not health insurance; it is accident and sickness insurance. Health insurance is comprehensive and includes preventative care and regular check-ups, as well as care for pre-existing and ongoing conditions. Accident and sickness insurance, though, is simply for accidents and unexpected sickness.
    • If you require regular, ongoing care, you must ensure that you arrange for a secondary health insurance plan in addition to the accident and sickness insurance provided through InterExchange.
    • Similarly, if you have an ongoing illness for which you require more extensive care, you may want to consider temporarily interrupting your program to seek treatment at home. In addition, if your condition is severe, you may want to consider returning home early in order to receive lower cost treatment in your home country.

Frequently Asked Questions

What documents does InterExchange need to consider my J-2 Visa sponsorship application?

We’ll need a copy of your passport, relationship to the J-1 holder, contact information,
and other biological details to provide visa sponsorship. If you are above the age of 18, you will also need to sign
and return InterExchange’s J-2 Dependent Visa Sponsorship Agreement.

How much funding does the J-1 visa holder need to provide if they bring dependents?

The J-1 Visa holder will need to consider all costs associated with bringing J-2
dependents to the U.S. Please keep in mind that there is no guarantee a J-2 dependent will receive work
authorization. Therefore, the J-1 Visa holder must prove they can support all J-2 dependents independently without
needing to rely on additional income from a J-2 dependent. Please contact us directly to discuss the recommended
proof of funds amount for your particular situation, as it may vary based on location, number of dependents, and
whether you intend to bring dependents under the age of 18.

Is the J-2 holder required to apply for a visa at the same time as the J-1 holder?

Applying for visas together will likely make the visa process easier for dependents.
However, J-2 applicants may apply for a visa after the J-1 applicant. Please note that there may be additionals fees
for separate interviews, depending on the Embassy/Consulate.

Is the J-2 holder required to arrive at the same time as the J-1 holder?

Most family members choose to arrive together, but J-2 holders may apply for a visa
and/or travel to the U.S. separately as long as they have a valid DS-2019 and J-2 Visa. However, J-2 Visa holders
may not arrive in the U.S. before the J-1 Visa holder.

How long am I allowed to remain in the U.S.?

The length of your program is dictated by the J-1 holder’s program dates. The dates on
your DS-2019 will match the dates on the J-1 holder’s DS-2019.

Similar to J-1 participants, most J-2 holders are entitled to a 30-day grace period to
settle your affairs and to travel within the U.S. after your program ends. Your grace period begins the day after
the program end date on your DS-2019 Form. You must exit the U.S. by the 30th day of your grace period in order to
remain in good standing.

To see if you have been granted a grace period, confirm that the arrival stamp in your
passport says “D/S”. This means “duration of status”, which denotes your program dates plus 30 days. If your arrival
stamp does not say “D/S” and instead has a date written on it, you must leave the U.S. by that date, even if it is
before your program end date.

Are J-2 holders allowed to work?

J-2 holders may only work if they are first approved by USCIS for work authorization. To
qualify for employment authorization, you will be asked to prove that the job you are doing is not intended to
support the J-1 holder. Instructions are available on the USCIS website.

Are J-2 holders allowed to attend school?

J-2 Visa holders may attend school while in the United States. Please contact the
prospective school to find out the requirements for enrolling.

What should I do if I need to travel outside the U.S.?

If you plan to travel outside of the U.S. during your program, you must receive a travel
validation signature from InterExchange before departing the U.S. Please submit your request for travel validation
at least one week before your intended travel date. Review our tips on travel during your program.

Can I travel outside the U.S. without the J-1 holder?

Yes, you are free to travel outside of the U.S. on your own once you obtain a travel
validation signature. There is no limit to the amount of time a J-2 holder may spend outside of the U.S. Remember to
bring all your documents with you and inform InterExchange each time you travel.

Am I allowed to remain in the U.S. if the J-1 holder leaves?

No, you must return home if the J-1 holder is no longer completing a program in the U.S.
Similarly, former spouses may not maintain J-2 status after a divorce from the J-1 holder.