How it works
You’ll enjoy dedicated support from the moment you sign up.
Experience the best of the Costa Rica with these exciting highlights:
1. Day 1 - Welcome to Costa Rica!
- Arrive in San José, meet the group and trip leaders
- Orientation including information about daily activities
- Welcome dinner and spend the night in Alajuela
2. Day 2 - Caribbean coast and conservation site visit
- Start the day with a five hour drive over the mountains to the Caribbean coast
- Visit a local initiative helping to reintroduce Great Green Macaws into their natural habitat
- Learn about the community initiatives that have helped sustain the project and enjoy the natural scenery
3. Day 3 - Coastal bike ride and Jaguar Project
- Hop on a bike to explore the coastline with the chance to spot local wildlife along the way
- Visit the Jaguar Rescue Center, a temporary or permanent home for ill, injured, or orphaned animals
- Group dinner
4. Day 4 - Boat ride and Bri Bri community introduction
- Head inland to the rural community of Bri Bri, an indigenous community of Costa Rica
- Take a magical boat ride up the river to the town of Yorkin
- Learn about the community’s effort to rebuild the local cacao industry, which had been plagued by a fungus
5. Day 5 - Community activities and school visit
- Learn more about the Bri Bri community and their sustainable chocolate making process
- Engage with community members for some casual activities such as football
- Enjoy a local dinner with the community and some dancing
6. Day 6 - Surfing
- Return to Puerto Viejo in the morning
- Enjoy a surf lesson in the afternoon!
7. Day 7 - Iguana farm and jungle hike
- Visit a local iguana farm and learn about their efforts
- Hike through the jungle to a waterfall and enjoy a swim
8. Day 8 - Sea turtles and farewell dinner
- Visit one of the bases of Latin American sea turtles* and learn about the endless efforts to protect them from poachers (season specific and may be substituted)
9. Day 9 - Breakfast and departures
- Depart from San José airport
Please complete our online form and we’ll reach out to answer any questions you have and set up a phone call if you’d like. There’s no fee to complete the form but once you fill it out, you’ll have the ability to reserve a spot on the program by paying a $250 deposit towards the program fee.
Program Fee: $1,750 for a 1-week program
- Whatsapp group formed by your trip leader prior to departure
- Pre-departure resources including a packing list, health and safety information, location details, and more
- In-country orientation and welcome dinner
- Transportation with local providers (mostly private transport for our group)
- Accommodation in locally-run hotels, hostels, and cabanas
- Most meals with a few opportunities to explore on your own
- NGO visits and adventure (hiking, swimming, waterfalls) activities
- Entry fees or donations associated with excursions and site visits
- Experienced trip leader
- Insight into major 21st century sustainability challenges and innovative ways Costa Rican NGOs are tackling them
- Discussion of the academic and career possibilities in social and environmental sustainability
- Travel medical insurance and 24-hour emergency support
Payment and refund policy
To secure your spot on the program please pay the deposit of $250. Fifty percent of the fee is due 45 days prior to the program start date, with the balance due no later than 15 days prior to the program start date. Please see our refund policy.
We strongly recommend purchasing trip cancellation insurance coverage at the time of making your initial payment to hedge against any unforeseen circumstances preventing you from traveling.
A Note on Pricing
As a nonprofit organization committed to creating accessible intercultural experiences, InterExchange sets pricing carefully. In addition to everything listed under What’s Included, your program fee covers the costs of program design, site visits, application review, one-to-one advising, and other program administration.
Sign up now—a new journey is right around the corner
Complete and submit the application form and we’ll contact you within 3 business days.