Your program fee covers all of the following
- Pre-departure online orientation and detailed resources, including a packing list, health and safety information, location details, and more.
- In-country arrival orientation.
- All in-country transportation: We'll use private transportation for most of our program, though at points we may venture on to public transportation.
- All accommodation: We'll stay in affordable, quality hotels in both locations. Participants will share rooms (same sex).
- Most meals: Breakfast is included every day. Lunch and dinner are usually included, with a few opportunities to explore on your own.
- Group volunteer and adventure (hiking, swimming, ziplining) activities.
- All entry fees and other costs associated with excursions and site visits.
- Experienced trip leaders and local, bilingual coordinator.
- Insight into major 21st century sustainability challenges (in the context of the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals) and innovative ways Costa Rican NGOs are tackling them.
- Discussion of the academic and career possibilities in social and environmental sustainability.
- Travel medical insurance and 24-hour emergency support.
- Alumni resources, including access to our language partner program for continued learning.
- Donations to the NGOs we'll be visiting along the way.
- International flights
- One lucky participant will be randomly selected to win a $150 flight credit courtesy of STA Travel. STA also has great deals and a "buy-now-pay-later" program.
- Passport fees
- Personal expenses (souvenirs, etc.)
Optional Beach and Spanish Week
If you'd like to stay a bit longer instead of flying home on Sunday, you can add an extra week living with a host family near the beach in Manuel Antonio, for $495. This includes your transfer from our hotel in San Jose to Quepos (10 minutes from Manuel Antonio) where you'll be met by a welcoming host family. There you'll enjoy 6 more nights of accommodation, breakfast and dinner each day, and group Spanish classes in Manuel Antonio throughout the week. Classes will occupy up to 4 hours of each day, with the rest of the day free to enjoy the beach and a nearby national park!
This component of the program is optional and a bit more independent but you'll have local coordinators available throughout the week, as well as your host family to help with any logistics and questions. You'll also be able to join social activities with other students. Additional details can be found on our Learn Spanish Costa Rica page, but please consult us for special pricing if you're combining any Learn Spanish program with Sustainable Action.