Au Pair Life
The homestay is the heart of this program. Here’s what you can expect when it comes to host-family living on your Au Pair Australia program:
- Host families are screened for safety.
- Families submit applications and references, have an interview, and pay a program fee.
- They are not paid for hosting you.
- Families vary in personality and size but most have two or three children and they’re all excited about cultural exchange.
- Most families reside in the suburbs of cities such as Brisbane, Melbourne, and Sydney and have young children; some have elementary-aged children.
- You’ll have an opportunity to connect with potential host families.
- We’ll provide interviewing tips to guide your video calls with families.
- Matching can take a few days to a few weeks.
Living with a Family
Living with a host family is about connecting with the family members and integrating into their life. Families want au pairs who:
- are eager to learn about Australia and Australian culture.
- behave like an ambassador from the U.S. and a role model for the children.
- are responsible and enjoy caring for children.
- engage with them over meals and share their culture.
The Au Pair Role
The term “au pair” means “on par” or “equal,” meaning you’re meant to be on equal terms with your host family. As an au pair you’ll live with a welcoming host family and care for the children. Childcare will make up about 35 hours/week of your time in Australia, enough to be a crucial part of the kids’ day-to-day lives but with time to get out and explore as well.
Caring for your host children can include:
- taking them to and from school
- engaging them with activities
- light housework (tidying and cleaning)
- preparing their meals
- helping them with homework
You’ll receive a childcare guide and connect with your host family before you leave the U.S. to find out what they’re looking for in an au pair.
Hours & Stipend
- Up to 35 hours per week
- Stipend of AUD $200-360/week
- When you connect with a potential family, you can discuss the childcare schedule so you know what to expect.
- You’re entitled to two full days off per week.
- Cities such as Sydney and Melbourne are filled with tons of activities and beautiful sights!
- Some participants link up with each other to explore. We’ll connect you with anyone in your region.