1. ApplyTry to apply 3+ months before your desired start date. We’ll review your application and contact you within a couple of business days to set up a video call and discuss the next steps.
2. Match with Host FamiliesYou’ll have an opportunity to connect with potential host families directly to make sure you’re both happy with the match. You’ll have access to interviewing tips to guide the conversation. Matching can take a few days to a few weeks.
3. Get your visa and flightsAfter matching you can apply for your visa online (we’ll show you how) and book flights based on the dates you’ve agreed to with your host family.
4. Review resources from InterExchangeWe’ll provide a wealth of resources to prepare you for your travels including access to our participant Facebook group, our Childcare Guide, and more.
5. ArriveDue to COVID-19, 2020 orientations are canceled. You can now arrive any time and will have professional support in Australia throughout your program, including optional meet-ups with other au pairs once group gatherings are permissable.
6. Au pair!You’ll support your host family with up to 35 hours per week of childcare and light household tasks. Your family will be there as a resource to help you adapt to your local surroundings. They’ll provide your private room, meals, and a stipend to help with local costs. Your initial placement will last 6 months.
If you’d like to stay longer than 6 months, you can! The visa you’ll travel on lasts a year, so after your placement you can match with a second family (no cost), travel independently in Australia, or even work elsewhere!