Upload the ten items listed below to your online application.
- Au Pair Agreement [PDF]
- Character Reference [PDF]
- Child Care Reference (x2) [PDF]
- At least two, with child care hours adding up to at least 200.
- Program Specific Application [PDF]
- Please type your responses using a PDF reader (not a browser window).
- Medical Report [PDF]
- Must be hand signed and stamped.
- Driver’s License
- Most Recent Diploma
- High school or college diploma (if not finished high school you may upload a recent unofficial transcript).
- Passport Booklet Copy
- The Netherlands requires scans of all pages (standard U.S. passports have 32), even blank pages. Please upload as one document.
- Must be valid for at least six months beyond the end of your stay.
- If you do not yet have your passport, please upload the receipt indicating you've applied for one.
- Photo Collage
- Please upload a few photos to give prospective hosts a sense of who you are.
- Photos from child care roles are great, but not required.
- Dear Host Family Letter
- One-page intro letter written in English or Dutch to prospective host families describing experience, interests, motivations, etc.
Optional but Recommended: Self-Intro Video
- Share a short (30 to 60 seconds) self-introduction video on YouTube. Be creative!
After You Apply
Background Check: Once accepted you will will be invited to submit to a criminal background check, the cost of which is usually around $17, but can be higher in places with mandatory court fees, including New York State (where fees can be around $80 or more).
Proof of Insurance: You will receive health insurance provided and paid for by your host family.
Visa Information: U.S. citizens do not need visas to enter the Netherlands. After arriving you must validate your temporary residence permit that allows you to live and work in Holland as an au pair for a maximum of 12 months. You must bring an original certified copy of your birth certificate with a recent Apostille, and your passport. Your host family will assist you with this procedure.
Please note that while you do not need to apply for a visa, upon successful placement with your host family you will be responsible for paying the visa fee (currently €622). You will receive full reimbursement for this fee upon successful completion of your program.
Obtain Apostille for Birth Certificate: Once you are matched and placed with a host family, you will need to obtain a birth certificate with an Apostille to bring to the Netherlands. Each state has its own procedure to obtain an Apostille. Please contact your birth state's Secretary of State for more information. We recommend that the apostille is no more than three months old when you travel.
You will need the latest version of Adobe Reader to download and view these materials. Click here to install Adobe Reader (free).