All documents below must be in English or accompanied by an official English translation.
- Passport Photo Page Copy of passport photo page (passport must be valid at least six months past program end date)
- Proof of Funds Proof of funds can be any of the following:
- A copy of the InterExchange Proof of Funds template.
- A copy of your bank statement or a bank letter from the past three months indicating your available balance
- A copy of a parent/guardian/spouse’s bank statement or a bank letter from the past three months indicating their available balance and a letter indicating that they will support you financially
- A letter from your school, government, or home country employer indicating any financial support being offered to you while you are in the U.S.
- Fee Disclosure Review the fee and refund policy and program inclusions, and then sign and upload the Fee Disclosure document.
- If applying through an International Cooperator, request a copy of their Fee Disclosure document.
- If applying to InterExchange directly or through an attorney, please complete the Fee Disclosure document on our website.
- Full Program Fees Full program fees are required before InterExchange can begin reviewing your application. You will also be required to pay the program and insurance fees for each dependent at the time of the application. Once your payment is verified by InterExchange, we will mark your record as “paid.” Then, if you and your host employer have completed the required sections, the “submit” button will become active.
Additional Required Supplemental Documents
Review the following to see which additional documents you must submit in order to complete your application. You may add as many additional documents as necessary by clicking on the "Add Another Document" button in your documents section.
- Academic Transcript Copy of official transcript from a post-secondary academic institution outside the U.S. (not required, but highly recommended you submit a transcript to ensure quickest possible review time. This may be requested if we need additional information about your academic field of study)
- Proof of Student Status A copy of the InterExchange Proof of Student Status template. If your academic institution will not complete this form, you must attach a signed letter on official institution letterhead verifying the same information (an academic transcript showing you are currently enrolled can be used as proof of student status).
- Proof of Graduation Copy of degree/certificate from a post-secondary academic institution outside the U.S. indicating that you have graduated
- Previous Employment Verification Letter Trainee applicants’ eligibility is based on your occupational experience. Applicants with a degree must document a minimum of one year of directly related work experience outside the U.S. and applicants without a degree must document a minimum of five years. You should upload as many letters that you need to document your related experience.
- Please have a supervisor from your current/former employer complete the InterExchange Previous Employment Verification Letter template and attach their business card. If your employer will not sign this form, you must upload a signed letter on official company letterhead verifying the same information.
Applicants who have previously traveled to the U.S.
- U.S. Visa Copy Copies of any previous U.S. visas
Applicants who have previously completed a J-1 Intern or Trainee program
- Previous DS-7002 Copy Copy of DS-7002 from any previous J-1 Intern or Trainee programs
Applicants who would like to bring dependents
- Dependent Passport Copy Copy of passport photo page for each dependent (passport must be valid at least 6 months past program end date)
- Dependent Visa Copy Copy of all previous U.S. visas for each dependent
- Dependent Agreement Form Signed by each dependent over the age of 18
Once you start your online application, ensure that you invite your Host Employer to complete the employer application. Your Host Employer will develop the DS-7002 Training/Internship Placement Plan (DS-7002 Form) within the online application, and both you and your employer will need to sign the plan digitally before you can submit your application. Your host employer will also be required to upload some documents before your application can be considered complete. At a minimum, your employer must upload:
- A copy of their Workers' Compensation Insurance certificate or proof of their exemption from maintaining a Workers' Compensation Insurance policy.
- A copy of their business license or registration if they do not have a DUNS number.