The majority of InterExchange Career Training USA participants enjoy safe, smooth and problem-free programs, but when living abroad for an extended period of time, you may occasionally run into challenges. InterExchange is here to help you if you do.

Medical Emergencies

We created a quick guide for using your accident and insurance in the United States. When you are injured or sick, you should go to a doctor or the hospital for assistance. If you are unsure about whether your accident and sickness insurance will cover your treatment, review your insurance details or contact the insurance company directly at 888.247.1387.

However, if you have been seriously injured, go directly to a hospital or immediately call 911, the emergency services number for the United States. If you do experience a medical emergency, please contact InterExchange as soon as possible after your hospitalization to update us on your condition. Read more tips about health and safety in the U.S. and learn more about protecting yourself from diseases on our blog. 

Threats to Your Personal Safety

If you have been threatened or attacked, you should call 911, which will put you in contact with the police. Once you are out of danger, please contact InterExchange to update us on your situation. The best strategy is to avoid risky situations. Read our blog to learn more about staying safe during your program.

Lost or Stolen Documents

If your DS-2019 or DS-7002 is lost or stolen, please contact InterExchange immediately. We will need to issue you new documents in order for you to continue your program and travel without difficulties. If your passport is missing, contact your embassy so they can issue you a new passport, then contact InterExchange so we can update your records. If your credit cards are lost or stolen, notify the credit card company immediately, then call InterExchange. 

Host Employer Relations

Sometimes, participants have difficulties with their host employers or in the workplace. Many of these issues can be avoided with clear communication. If you have a misunderstanding with your host employer or someone in your office, we advise you to first try discussing the matter with them to see if there is a solution. Read our blog posts on communication styles and handling conflict in the workplace. If the problem persists, please contact us and we will talk to your host employer to try to resolve it. In extreme cases, participants may choose to look for a new host employer or cancel their program, but please discuss your options with us so that we can help you make the best decision.

Sexual Harassment

Sexual harassment is considered a very serious issue in the United States and is strictly forbidden. Many individuals new to the professional work environment may not know how to handle instances of sexual harassment or when to speak up, especially when they are concerned it will put their internships/training programs at risk. If you do encounter any form of sexual harassment, notify InterExchange immediately. If you are comfortable doing so, please speak with your supervisor or Human Resources manager, and then immediately let us know how the situation is being handled. We can provide additional advice and support and help you to find a resolution.

Housing Problems

Housing problems can range from roommate disagreements to rental scams to violations of tenants’ rights. Check out these links and the information on our website housing pages, then call or email InterExchange if you would like more help or resources or if you experience any issues with your housing. 

If you are having difficulties with a landlord, employer or anybody else, you may find yourself involved in a lawsuit. If you have broken a law, you may be arrested. Please contact InterExchange immediately in case of any legal troubles. 

Issues at Home

If you must return to your home country for personal reasons, please contact InterExchange. You may return home for up to 30 days and still maintain your active status on the program. If you will be going temporarily, we must sign your DS-2019 Form so that you can travel legally. If you decide to return home permanently, notify us so that we can update your SEVIS record and issue you a refund according to our refund schedule

Contact Info

U.S. Emergency Services

Phone: 911


Email: Phone: 888.621.1202 (if you are in the U.S. M-F 9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. EST) Phone: 212.924.0446 (from anywhere M-F 9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. EST) Phone: 917.373.0994 (24 hour emergency line)

Accident and Sickness Insurance

Website: Email: Phone: 888.247.1387

U.S. Department of State-Designated J-1 Visa Sponsor
Alliance for International Exchange
Exclusive partner of the Erasmus Student Network for J-1 Visa sponsorship of internships in the U.S.
European-American Chamber of Commerce New York
Generation Study Abroad
Global Ties U.S.
International Au Pair Association
WYSE Travel Confederation