Step 1: Find an Internship
Though InterExchange does not offer placement services, we do provide many resources for finding a U.S. internship.
Step 2: Determine Your Eligibility
- Review the participant requirements and host employer requirements.
- Review the program costs and fees.
- Take our Eligibility Quiz to ensure you and your employer are eligible to apply.
Step 3: Start Your Application
- Create your account, review application instructions, and start your application.
Step 4: Complete Application and Upload Required Supporting Documents
- Complete all fillable sections of the application.
- Important: Add your host employer’s details to the Career Training Program & Employer Details section and then complete the Invite Your Host Employer to Apply section; do this early to allow your supervisor plenty of time to apply.
- Upload all of the required supporting documents.
- Check the Host Employer Application section of your dashboard; it will say Submitted once your employer’s application is complete.
- Submit the full program fees required for your program and check the Payment section of your dashboard. It will say Payment Received within one to two business days of submitting payment.
- The information in your application and your employer’s application must be complete, and payment must be received before you can submit your application. Use our applicant checklist to ensure you submit a complete application.
Step 5: Submit Your Application
- Click Submit Application to send your application to InterExchange for Initial Review.
- Incomplete applications will be returned for Participant Review with an email explaining the required additions/revisions. You and/or your employer must complete the revisions and resubmit your application.
- You may need to repeat this process until your application is complete and ready to be reviewed. Initial Review is NOT a detailed review. It is the process used to collect documents/information needed to conduct a full review.
- Once your application is complete, it will be placed In Queue for the formal review process.
Step 6: Application Review
- Approximately six to eight days after your application is In Queue, a Career Training team member will change your status to Under Review and begin the formal review, which takes one to two business days to complete.
- For three-day review, expedited service is available for a fee.
Step 7: Schedule Your Interview
- The reviewer will then contact you to schedule an interview and your status will be changed to Pending Interview. Interviews can often be done within one to five days, depending on your scheduling flexibility.
Step 8: Final Decision
- If your interview is successful, but your host employer requires a site visit, your status will be changed to Pending Site Visit. We will contact your employer and conduct a visit, within approximately one to two weeks, but it may take longer if your employer cannot meet with us sooner.
- After the interview and site visit (if applicable), you will receive our final decision via email within one to two business days.
Note: The best way to check the status of your application is by logging into your online application. Once your application goes into formal review, the reviewer will contact you with any questions or to schedule your interview.
Step 9: Pay the SEVIS Fee and Schedule Your Visa Appointment at the Embassy/Consulate
- If approved, you will receive a confirmation email with important pre-departure information, your SEVIS ID number, and instructions for paying the SEVIS fee.
- Pay the SEVIS fee and then schedule your visa appointment at the embassy or consulate. Use the details from your confirmation email; it is not necessary to wait for your acceptance packet to arrive to start this process. Be sure to check for visa appointment and processing wait times.
- We will ship you an acceptance packet via UPS. Please review all additional program information and documents, including your DS-2019 Form, which is required in order to apply for a visa.
Step 10: Attend Your Visa Interview & Prepare for Departure!
- Complete the J-1 Visa application and collect all documents, including your DS-2019 and DS-7002 (Training Plan) Forms, required by the embassy or consulate where you will apply.
- Review the participant handbook for tips regarding your embassy visit. You'll also find more information on the Department of State website.
- Attend your visa interview and receive your visa.
- Complete the mandatory InterExchange Career Training USA online orientation.
- Review your participant handbook, insurance information, and other pre-departure materials provided in the acceptance packet.
- Finalize your travel arrangements.
- Depart for the USA!
Read about our participants' experiences!