We are no longer accepting applications for 2018.
Explore our other great programs!
- Support for working, living and traveling
- Work permit information and documents
- Pre-departure advice and support
- Optional orientation in Toronto or Vancouver
- Members’ jobs database
- Newsletters with job opportunities and social events
- Social media groups to connect with other travelers
- Canadian offices and staff to provide ongoing support for the duration of your work permit
- Hosting centers to use computers, printers and meet with staff; stable mailing address
- Social events in Canada to meet other travelers
- InterExchange t-shirt
Before You Travel
InterExchange provides support during the pre-departure phase, most importantly to help demystify the work permit process. You should allow several weeks to complete the InterExchange and IEC work permit applications. In many cases the whole process has taken about eight weeks (based on typical processing times in 2017 and subject to change). We recommend giving yourself at least three months for the process. Once you have your approval to travel you are welcome to enter Canada on any date within the following year.
Once you arrive in Canada you are invited to attend a brief info session at the Toronto or Vancouver office of the InterExchange partner organization, SWAP. This session covers the job search, logistics of living and working in Canada, finding housing and more. If you find yourself in another part of the country you are encouraged to contact SWAP through email or phone for support. SWAP also maintains an online jobs database and will provide newsletter and social media updates about featured jobs and events around the country.