Regular Program Fee
Application deadline: April 12
Early-bird Program Fee
Apply by March 29 and save $175!
Grants are available! Find out below if you qualify.
- International flight from Germany to New York City (mid-program)
- All local ground transportation
- All accommodations: We'll stay in world-renowned Hostelling International hostels in all locations. Participants will share rooms (same sex)
- Most meals: Breakfast is included every day. Lunch and dinner are usually included, with a few opportunities to explore on your own
- Experienced educational travel trip leaders
- Travel medical insurance and 24-hour emergency support
- Pre-departure online orientation and detailed resources, including a packing list, health and safety information, location details, and more
- In-country arrival orientation in Ploen
- Group volunteer and outdoor activities
- All entry fees and other costs associated with excursions and site visits
- Insight into major 21st century sustainability challenges (in the context of the U.N. Sustainable Development Goals) and innovative ways German and American NGOs are tackling them
- Discussion of the academic and career possibilities in social and environmental sustainability
- Alumni resources, including access to InterExchange's Language Partner program for continued learning
- Donations to the NGOs we'll be visiting along the way
- International flight from U.S. to Germany at beginning of program
- Transportation from New York City to your home at the end of the program
- Personal spending money
- Passport fees
Once you complete our easy sign-up form, we'll get in touch right away with more information. You can secure your spot on the program with a partial payment of $995. The remaining program fee is due within 35 days of the program start date.
In the event of cancellation, the following charges will be non-refundable:
- 65 days or less prior to departure date: $995
- 35 days or less prior to departure date: full program fee
United for Sustainable Action Grant
You might be eligible for a grant! Read on to find out.
InterExchange and Hostelling International USA believe that international education and travel abroad should be available to everyone.
Together, we award a limited number of grants for enrolled U.S. college students to participate in the United for Sustainable Action program. This grant covers the full program fee, insurance, and expedited passport fees up to $250 (if necessary). Grant recipients must cover their flight costs (excluding the Germany-to-NYC flight already included in the program fee), as well as other personal expenditures on the program.
To be considered for a United for Sustainable Action grant, candidates must be:
- At least 18 years of age at the program start date of July 27, 2019
- A U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Enrolled full time at a classroom-based U.S. community college or 4-year university
- If you are planning a gap semester or year, you must be enrolled to begin in Winter or Fall 2020
- Studying (or planning to study) Sustainability, Urban Planning, Climate Change, Ecology, Conservation, or other fields related to social and/or environmental sustainability
- If your field of study or major is not mentioned here, or you aren’t sure yet what you will study, but you will have a strong focus on sustainability, you can still apply! Please tell us specifically how your studies relate to sustainability in your essay.
- A current Federal Pell Grant recipient
- If you are planning a gap semester or year, you must provide proof that you will be receiving a Pell Grant when you enroll.
- Have a strong desire and motivation to experience other cultures through international travel, and to gain hands-on experience in sustainable development.
- Submit a 500-word essay addressing how sustainability and the UN Sustainable Development Goals fit into your personal and educational goals, and why you feel the United for Sustainable Action program will help you achieve those goals
- Provide 2 references: one academic or professional reference from a teacher/professor or (previous) employer, and one character reference from a non-relative
- Provide proof of that you are or will be a Pell Grant recipient.
When signing up for the program please note that you are eligible for the grant. An InterExchange staff member will then be in touch with you about submitting your grant application.
A Note on Pricing
As nonprofit organizations committed to creating accessible intercultural experiences, InterExchange, HI USA, and DJH set pricing carefully. In addition to everything listed under What's Included, your program fee covers the costs of program design, site visits, application review, one-to-one advising, and other program administration.