After Your Arrival

What if I have not received my Social Security card?

If six weeks have passed and you have not received your card, call the Social Security Administration at 1.800.772.1213. Have your Social Security receipt ready. If you have additional questions, contact InterExchange. Important: Your Social Security number is yours alone. Do not allow others to use your number. Record your number in a safe place in case your card is lost or stolen. Protect both your card and your number to prevent misuse.

What should I do if I lose my passport or other documents?

If you lose your passport or visa, contact your embassy or consulate as soon as possible so that they can assist you in obtaining new documents.

If you lose your DS-2019 Form, please contact InterExchange during regular office hours (9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. Eastern Time), and we will provide you with a replacement form for a $10 fee (not including cost of shipping).

If you cannot access your electronic I-94 arrival record online or your admission to the U.S. was recorded incorrectly, try entering the red number listed on your visa as your passport number in the I-94 search. If that does not work, please contact a local CBP Deferred Inspection Site or Port of Entry (POE) to have your I-94 record corrected. To locate the closest CBP Deferred Inspection Site, visit the CBP’s locator.

If you lose your Social Security card, you do not need to replace it as long as you know your Social Security number or have a photocopy of the card. If you would like a replacement card, contact the Social Security Administration.

What is SEVIS?

SEVIS is an abbreviation for the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System, a database maintained by the U.S. government to keep track of the addresses of students and exchange visitors. You MUST register in SEVIS within 10 days of your arrival in the United States. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security requires registration. If you do not register in SEVIS, you may be subject to arrest or deportation.

If I change my address, do I need to register my new address in SEVIS?

Yes. Every time you change your address, you should register your new work address and your physical housing address online or over the phone. No P.O. Box addresses should be entered.

What if I want to stay and work longer?

You are only allowed to work during the dates that are listed on part 3 of your DS-2019 Form. Under no circumstances can the dates or your J-1 Visa be extended. You are allowed to stay in the U.S. and travel for 30 days after the dates listed on part 3 of your DS-2019, but you are not allowed to work during this time. If you have any questions regarding the dates you can work, or the dates you can stay in the U.S., please call InterExchange at 1.800.621.1202.

What if I would like to work longer than my commitment date, but there is not a position with my current employer?

Please call InterExchange Work & Travel USA at 1.800.621.1202. We will try to match you with another employer who is looking for staff. Please note that, in most cases, employers will only hire students who are able to work for at least three weeks.

What should I do if I am not meeting my employer’s expectations?

First, talk with your employer. Often, problems are a result of miscommunication. If you are unable to resolve the problem, please call InterExchange for assistance. We will be happy to help you in any way we can.

What if I’m injured on the job?

All job-related injuries are covered by Workers’ Compensation insurance. Your employer should refer to their Workers’ Compensation policy.

How do I book my flight home? How do I change my flight?

In general, you should contact your airline directly for flight changes and availability. In some cases you might have special instructions on how to book or change your ticket that were provided by our cooperator in your home country. Please refer to the program materials that you received before departure.

U.S. Department of State-Designated J-1 Visa Sponsor
Alliance for International Exchange
The International Coalition for Global Education and Exchange
European-American Chamber of Commerce New York
Global Ties U.S.
International Au Pair Association
WYSE Travel Confederation