If you’re looking for an experience that allows you to have a true insight into a unique country in the heart of Europe, consider serving as a Conversation Coach in Germany. You’ll be welcomed into the home of a German host family and tutor the family in English. In your free time, you’ll have the chance to explore all that Germany has to offer: from its stunning cities with great shopping and nightlife to its enchanting villages and picturesque countryside.
As a Conversation Coach, you’ll provide 15 hours of English language tutoring per week for children and possibly adults, mostly on weekdays, in exchange for room and board with a host family. Responsibilities include preparing lessons and helping the children and adults with their English conversational skills. Schedules are arranged with your host family on arrival. Your time off is yours to sightsee, enjoy local culture, make new friends and work on your own language skills.
As a Conversation Coach in Germany, you’ll receive:
- Placement with a carefully screened host family
- A private room and full board
- Pre-departure and in-country assistance from InterExchange and our international cooperator in Germany
- Access to discounted international accident and sickness insurance
- 24-hour emergency assistance
- ISE card - International Student & Youth Exchange Identification Card
- President's Volunteer Service Award for completing specified number of volunteer hours
Fund Your Trip
We are currently accepting applications for Conversation Coach programs beginning in January. Application submissions are encouraged by October 31st.
One to three months.
To teach English abroad as a Conversation Coach in Germany, you must:
- Be between 18 and 35 years old
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Have at least a high school diploma
- Preferably have some previous teaching or tutoring experience
- Be a native English speaker
- Be able to commit to a period of at least one month
- Have experience working with children
- Possess the physical and mental capacity and dedication to carry out the responsibilities of the program without interruption
- Provide a clear criminal background check
- Complete an informational interview with an InterExchange Working Abroad staff member
InterExchange Working Abroad reserves the right to refuse acceptance to an applicant who we believe to be unsuitable for our programs for any reason.
Interested? Request Information
Start Your Application/Log In
Thinking About Earning a TEFL?
The International TEFL Academy offers several online and in-person training options.
1. How is the Conversation Coach program different from other InterExchange Teach English programs?
Conversation Coaches live with a host family, for whom they provide roughly 15 hours of unpaid tutoring per week. Participants are provided with a private room in the family’s home, as well as meals. If you are interested in a classroom experience you may wish to explore our Teaching Assistant programs in Chile or Italy; paid teaching placements in Thailand or Vietnam; or our TEFL certification program in China. Our Volunteer category of programs also includes opportunities to teach.
Living with a host family presents a unique range of challenges and rewards. While it may not afford the flexibility of living in an apartment or student housing, it can be a great way to feel welcome and supported in a new country.
2. How much will I earn?
Conversation Coaches are unpaid tutors, but are provided with room and board and many other great benefits.
3. Are flights included in the program fee?
Flights are not included. The participant is responsible for booking his or her own flight. We ask that you wait to purchase your flight until your host family match is confirmed.
4. Do I need a teaching certificate?
No, but we prefer that you have some previous teaching, tutoring and/or child care experience.
5. What age ranges will I be teaching?
Children range from toddlers to teens and you will be able to discuss age and proficiency levels of children with prospective host families who express an interest in welcoming you as their tutor.
Follow the link for the rest of our Teach English - Conversation Coach FAQs.