Being a Conversation Coach is a fun way to get to know a new part of the world while helping your host family out and teaching English abroad at the same time!
A Conversation Coach is a volunteer English tutor who lives with the family for whom he or she is tutoring, for between one and three months. Generally tutoring is for the family's children, and takes place for about 15 hours per week (usually about three hours each weekday). Your host family will provide a private room and all meals.
Responsibilities include preparing lessons and helping the children with their English conversational skills. This could be done through activities and projects so we encourage you to think about your own strengths and hobbies that can make teaching more fun! You will also have the chance to speak with your host family before traveling so you can find out about your students, their level of English proficiency and some of their hobbies. Specific schedules are arranged with your host family directly, and your time off is yours to sightsee, enjoy local culture, make new friends and work on your own language skills. This is a great program for anyone interested in teaching English abroad in a less formal situation.
While you are living in Spain (generally close to Madrid or Valencia) you will have the support of our International Cooperator (IC), which works with host families to prepare them for the program and ensure that they are a good fit. Our IC will also be able to address any concerns you have while abroad and connect you to other participants in your area.
Conversation Coaches enjoy a lot of free time, but should also be flexible and make an effort to adapt to the schedule of their host families. Most participants travel a bit on weekends, sometimes with new friends they've made through the program. It's an ideal way to work abroad! For a personal perspective from our participants, please read our Ambassador blogs.
As a Conversation Coach in Spain, you’ll receive:
- Placement with a carefully screened host family
- A private room and full board
- Pre-departure and in-country assistance from InterExchange and our international cooperator in Spain
- Access to discounted international accident and sickness insurance
- 24-hour emergency assistance
- ISE card - International Student & Youth Exchange Identification Card
- President's Volunteer Service Award for completing specified number of volunteer hours
Fund Your Trip
Other Costs to Consider
- Personal spending money
- Insurance – $9.25 per week if purchased through InterExchange
One to three months. You cannot stay in the Schengen area of Europe for longer than 90 days as a Conversation Coach.
We accept applications for Conversation Coach programs on a rolling basis. There is no set start or end date – host families enroll in the program all year round. Your exact program dates will be agreed upon by you and your host family. After you submit your application, expect to wait around four to six weeks for a host family match. You will meet your host family over Skype before finalizing the placement.
See chart below for 2015 deadlines. Later applications may still be accepted, but opportunities for placement become limited the later you apply. If you think you will apply after the deadline, please give us a call or send us an email to discuss possibilities.
|Approximate start date
||Apply no later than*
||CLOSED - Waitlist Only
||CLOSED - Waitlist Only
||CLOSED - Waitlist Only
||June 30, 2015
||July 31, 2015
||August 31, 2015
*Deadlines are subject to change.
**We receive a high volume of applicants for May through October placements. Early submissions are strongly encouraged.
To teach English abroad as a Conversation Coach in Spain, you must:
- Be between the ages of 18 and 35
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Have at least a high school diploma
- Preferably have some previous teaching or tutoring experience
- Be a native English speaker
- Meet the Spain Visa requirements
- Be able to commit to a period of one to three months
- Experience working with children
- Possess the physical and mental capacity and dedication to carry out the responsibilities of the program without interruption
- Provide a clear criminal background check
- Complete an informational interview with an InterExchange Working Abroad staff member
InterExchange Working Abroad reserves the right to refuse acceptance to an applicant who we believe to be unsuitable for our programs for any reason.
Interested? Request Information
Start Your Application/Log In
1. How is the Conversation Coach program different from other InterExchange Teach English programs?
Conversation Coaches live with a host family, for whom they provide roughly 15 hours of unpaid tutoring per week. Participants are provided with a private room in the family’s home, as well as meals. If you are interested in a classroom experience you may wish to explore our Teaching Assistant programs in Chile or Italy; paid teaching placements in Thailand or Vietnam; or our TEFL certification program in China. Our Volunteer category of programs also includes opportunities to teach.
Living with a host family presents a unique range of challenges and rewards. While it may not afford the flexibility of living in an apartment or student housing, it can be a great way to feel welcome and supported in a new country.
2. How much will I earn?
Conversation Coaches are unpaid tutors, but are provided with room and board and many other great benefits.
3. Are flights included in the program fee?
Flights are not included. The participant is responsible for booking his or her own flight. We ask that you wait to purchase your flight until your host family match is confirmed.
4. Do I need a teaching certificate?
No, but we prefer that you have some previous teaching, tutoring and/or child care experience.
5. What age ranges will I be teaching?
Children range from toddlers to teens and you will be able to discuss age and proficiency levels of children with prospective host families who express an interest in welcoming you as their tutor.
Follow the link for the rest of our Teach English - Conversation Coach FAQs.