Vietnam brings to mind stunning coastlines, bright green rice fields and mountains and the beautiful islands of Halong Bay. But this serene picture exists alongside rapid development and bustling cities like Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh. Our 11-month program will allow you to absorb the fast-paced life of Hanoi, Vietnam's capital city, as well enjoy some vacation time (and weekends) to explore further afield. This is a full-time, paid teach English abroad position.
In Hanoi you will be greeted by a representative of CIEM-EDU, with whom we collaborate in Vietnam to offer paid teaching positions. Your program will start with a two-week orientation program covering ESL teaching in Vietnam, classroom management, cultural and logistical information, excursions to help familiarize you with Hanoi, basic Vietnamese language training and more. Following this orientation period you will begin your 10.5-month teaching placement, which begins with a shorter orientation provided by your school. During the teaching period you will work full-time, Monday through Friday. As a teacher you will be expected to be prepared with lessons for each class and to foster a caring learning space for all students. Teachers will be expected to perform assessments, attend regular meetings and be involved with extra-curricular activities. Teachers will earn $1,000 per month during the teaching period, and will be provided with all accommodation and some meals.
A two-week orientation provided by CIEM-Edu will include:
- Culture and lifestyle information
- Hanoi excursions for teachers to adjust to their new surroundings
- Halong Bay tour
- 40 hours of TEFL training and classroom practice for some participants
- Overview of the Vietnamese education system and how this program fits in
- Historical information
- Guidance for adjusting to the culture of Vietnam
- Basic Vietnamese language training
- TEFL training and classroom practice
During your first week at your teaching placement you will receive additional orientation training, including:
- Information on curricula, teaching methods for children and evaluation tools
- Vietnamese students learning ESL: difficulties, pronunciation, discrepancies in language proficiency, behavior, discipline
- Classroom management
- Duties and code of conduct for teachers of ESL
- Teaching evaluation by Head Teacher and HOD
Have questions? Read our Teach English in Vietnam FAQs for more info.
As a participant in Teach English in Vietnam, you’ll receive:
- Airport pickup on designated date and time in Hanoi
- Two-week orientation program covering approaches to teaching English in Vietnam, cultural and historical information, basic Vietnamese language training, excursions and more
- $1,000/month salary during teaching
- Flight reimbursement*
- Vacation and sick leave
- All accommodation
- Meals during orientation
- Breakfast and lunch provided by school during work period
- Full background check on school
- 24-hour emergency support
- Visa support
*Up to $1,500. Flight reimbursement requires that participant maintains satisfactory performance and successfully completes the full teaching program.
Private room in a dorm or shared house depending upon availability. Electricity, water and internet are included.
Participants may choose to organize their own accommodation, in which case an additional $400 will be offered to participants towards accommodation costs in Vietnam. We recommend taking advantage of the accommodation provided during at least the first two months of your program as this will be within close proximity to your school teaching placement.
April 30, 2015
July 2015 to June 2016
To teach English abroad on our Teach English in Vietnam Program, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Be able to commit to a 10.5-month teaching placement (plus two-week orientation)
- Have a bachelor's degree from a four-year accredited university (education or social science degrees encouraged to apply)
- Experience working with non-native English speakers
- Teaching experience preferred
- Be a native English speaker
- Be in good physical and mental health
- Possess the physical and mental capacity and dedication to carry out the responsibilities of the program without interruption
- Provide a clear criminal background check
- Complete an informational interview with an InterExchange Working Abroad staff member
- Have teaching qualifications such as TEFL/TESOL/CELTA (100 hours minimum, online training accepted)
InterExchange Working Abroad reserves the right to refuse acceptance to an applicant who we believe to be unsuitable for our programs for any reason.
Interested? Request Information
Start Your Application/Log In
Thinking About Earning a TEFL?
The International TEFL Academy offers several online and in-person training options.
1. Is teaching experience necessary?
No, but an interest in teaching is necessary. You will receive training in the theories and practical applications of teaching English for Vietnamese students during your orientation prior to the start of the job. We do encourage individuals with teaching experience and certfications (TEFL, TESOL, CELTA, etc.), English degrees and other relatable skills to apply.
2. Where will I be teaching?
Most placements will be in bilingual schools in Hanoi like Wellspring International Bilingual School, and teaching may be at any grade level, K-12.
3. What will I be doing as a teacher?
You will be employed full time (most likely Monday through Friday, 7:45 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.) with roughly 22 hours per week of in-class time. In addition to teaching, you will be expected to prepare lessons; create a warm and caring environment; track and report student attendance; provide written student evaluations; attend professional development courses; cover classes for absent teachers on occasion; attend meetings, including with parents and the Director of Education; observe other teachers’ classes to exchange ideas; participate in extra-curricular activities; assist in administering placement tests; and other duties assigned by school administration and within your ability. NOTE: Teachers may be asked to teach subjects other than English if qualified (e.g. Math or Science taught in English), in which case a detailed curriculum will be provided.
4. Can I be placed at the same institution/schools as a friend of mine?
Yes. We can work with our partner school to try to facilitate same-school or proximate placements for you. Please give us a note with your application for our information and action accordingly.
5. Can I bring my child or spouse with me when I teach in Vietnam? What about my girlfriend or boyfriend?
This program is not conducive to bringing family as benefits and support are only provided to the contracted person. If both partners are hired as teachers we can accommodate placements together but it would not be possible to bring children with you.
Follow the link for the complete list of Teach English in Vietnam FAQs.