You’ll be transported from the airport to a modern hostel in the heart of Sydney, where you’ll get four nights to recover from your journey and connect with fellow travelers. The hostel organizes fun daily activities (e.g., guided city tours, beach walks and BBQs) to help acclimate you to your new home.
We work with an international cooperator (IC) based in Sydney who will provide a comprehensive orientation within your first four days in the country. They’ll cover everything from life in Australia to when and where to work and travel. Our IC will smooth your transition into the country by handling logistics, such as setting up your bank account in advance and walking you through the tax ID application.
Work and Travel (up to 12 months)
Our program includes job search and travel support for 12 months. Job support includes access to one-on-one advising (Sydney), a job database, phone and email support and social media updates. The majority of the jobs on the program are low-skill and casual in nature (e.g., hospitality, manual labor, office temp work) and range in length from one day to a few months.
Once one job ends, you may contact our IC for more work, look for opportunities on your own, or travel. This is a flexible program—you decide when you want to work and when you want to travel. It is also an independent program; job placements are not organized in advance and participants are encouraged to be proactive and network, in addition to utilizing our IC’s services.
Pay and Housing
The amount of money you earn depends on the type of job you do. Fruit pickers can earn $15 to $20 an hour, while office temp workers can earn up to $25 an hour (Australian currency). Keep in mind the perks that come along with certain jobs—for example, farm work often includes accommodation and food. Our IC can provide housing and hostel referrals throughout your stay.
Surf Camp Option
||Start your program with a five-day surf adventure at beautiful Seven Mile Beach National Park. You’ll get four nights of accommodation at a beachside surf camp, all required equipment, all meals and round-trip transport to the beach. The course is for absolute beginners and you don’t have to surf the whole trip—you’ll have plenty of time to just chill on the beach with your new friends and soak in your new home!
Types of Opportunities
Most jobs on the program are low-skill and casual in nature (e.g., hospitality, manual labor, office temp work) and vary from part-time to full-time. All positions are short-term—the longest you can work for any one employer on the Work and Holiday Visa is six months, but most jobs range from a few days to a few months. This is not a professional career program; the ability to take on jobs allows participants to fund their travels and cover living expenses.
Job Openings Exclusively for Work & Travel Participants
Our international cooperator, Work & Travel Company (WTC), is a recruitment agency with exclusive access to jobs in Sydney and the surrounding area. These jobs are only for WTC Members, not everyone in Australia.
As a Member, you’ll have access to one-on-one advising at their job desk, a Members’ Website, phone and email support and social media updates. Jobs exclusively for WTC members are posted in our cooperator’s office and in the Members’ site.
Before you arrive in Australia you will receive details to log on to the online registration service, where you will create a profile with your work experience. Upon arrival you can talk with the recruitment team; they’ll let you know what jobs are available, arrange interviews, and ensure you’re paid fairly.
Sample jobs from our recruitment agency:
||Rate AUD / Duration
||$21.09 per hr / 1 day
||New South Wales
|Ski Resort Jobs
||$19.53 per hr / 4 months
||New South Wales
||$23.89 per hr / 6 months
||New South Wales
||$21.09 per hr / 3 months
||New South Wales
||$18.00 per hr / 3 months
||$22.52 per hr / 3 weeks
||$21.09 per hr / 1 month
||$15.00 per hr / 2 months
||$22.33 per hr / 1 day
The amount of money you earn will depend on the type of job you do. One of the advantages of the work you will find through WTC is that these are all reliable employers, paying the correct wages for the work you are doing.
Here is a rough idea of the wages you can earn (all shown in Australian dollars):
- Factory or labor work $19 - $25 per hour
- Hospitality work $19 - $25 per hour
- Office work $19 - $25 per hour
- Fruit-picking work $15 - $20 per hour or contract rates
- Resort work $15 - $20 per hour
Something to remember when you’re looking at the wages: Some jobs have perks. For example, if you work on a resort, the accommodation is often very cheap and food is provided, while farm work often includes accommodation and food.
As a participant in our Work & Travel Australia program, you’ll receive:
- Airport pickup and transfer to accommodation
- Four nights of accommodation to help you recover from the long flight and experience beautiful Sydney!
- An Australian phone number and SIM card with credit to get you started
- A bank account set up for you in advance
- An orientation program in Sydney covering your job search, traveling, tax information and more
- An exclusive membership to our Aussie cooperator’s job service
- A recruitment agency that works directly with hundreds of companies around Australia to offer you work and make sure you get paid on time – for most jobs you will earn around $20 per hour
- Assistance applying for your required local tax filing number and superannuation refund information – you may be able to get some money back when you return home
- Notification of jobs via text message and/or email
- Unlimited free internet in Sydney and 15 locations around Australia
- Housing and hostel referrals
- Access to discounted international accident and sickness insurance
- Access to social and cultural activities with other participants from around the world, including a free city tour and beach walk
- A 24-hour emergency contact number
- Mail holding and forwarding service – your own address in Oz!
- A photo ID
- A welcome kit with free swag!
Program Fee: $745
Reserve your space by starting your application and making a $250 deposit.
Program fees cover the inclusions listed above as well as administration in the U.S. and Australia. They also help fund the grants awarded by the Foundation each year.
Surf Camp Add-on: $550 (includes all accommodation, meals, lessons, transportation and more)
Other costs to consider:
- Australian visa application (AU$420)
- Travel costs
- Savings (access to AU$5,000)
- Travel health insurance (available through InterExchange if needed)
- Responsible Service of Alcohol Certificate (AU$140)*
*The Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) Certificate is required for working in a place that serves alcohol—even food runners will need this. To obtain an RSA, participants must attend a one-day course and pay a fee of AU$140.
Program Start Dates
Year-round, except between December 26th and January 3rd.
For those adding the Surf Camp week, your accommodation will begin Sunday night in Sydney, with a Monday departure to Seven Mile Beach.
Please apply at least six weeks prior to your desired start date. If you would like to start your program in less than six weeks, please contact us to discuss possibilities.
Up to one year
To participate in our Work & Travel Australia program, you must:
- Be between the ages of 18 and 30 and in good health
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Meet the requirements for the Work and Holiday Visa
Interested? Request Information
Start Your Application/Log In
What is the Work & Travel Australia Program?
This program allows you to obtain work and travel in Australia for up to one year on a Work and Holiday Visa. Work & Travel Company (WTC), InterExchange’s international cooperator in Australia, will support you throughout your entire stay. The WTC Center is in Sydney, where participants will attend an orientation and enjoy personal support from a friendly team of staff. Throughout the country you will also have support via phone or email.
This is an independent and flexible program. Jobs and housing are not organized in advance. You decide when and where you want to work and travel. You also determine where you want to live—but you’ll have support! Our IC receives jobs directly from employers seeking to hire Work & Travel participants and they can provide guidance on where to live and travel.
What benefit do I get out of the program?
Moving across the world and getting situated can be stressful. InterExchange’s Work & Travel program will smooth your transition by handling logistics such as your bank account, connect you with fellow travelers and provide a source of in-country support from our IC. Support includes a comprehensive orientation within your first four days in the country, help finding jobs and housing and travel support. Our IC is an expert on all things related to living, working and traveling in Australia. By participating in InterExchange’s program, you’ll receive access to all their services for 12 months.
Should I add the week of Surf Camp?
This is up to you. Keep in mind that if you don’t want to surf the whole time it’s okay – Seven Mile Beach National Park is a beautiful place to explore and relax anyway. The benefit of the Surf Camp is that by the time you arrive at orientation, you will have already made some new friends and tried something new. Much of your anxiety in traveling to a new place will have been washed away with the tide!
Check out a short video about our Surf Camp add-on:
What is covered in the orientation?
During your comprehensive orientation, you’ll learn about:
- the Work & Travel Company team and how they can help you (including mail service)
- the bank system in Australia (your bank account will be opened for you in advance)
- working in Australia and the Australian tax system
- finding accommodation
- the best places to travel in Australia
- backpacking safely
- Australians and Australian life
- the Australian landscape, animals and weather
- beach safety information
- and much, much more!
Click here to read the rest of our Work & Travel Australia FAQs.