More than 115,000 travelers arrive each year on a Work and Holiday Visa. This means there’s a lot of competition for jobs and housing—that’s where InterExchange Working Abroad comes in. We’ll help you make the most of your year in Australia by helping you with the visa, finding work, housing and more. We make it a lot easier than going it alone!
Arrival and Orientation
You’ll be transported from the airport to the hostel, where you’ll get four nights to recover from your journey. Accommodation is close to our international cooperator’s (IC) office, where you’ll receive an orientation covering everything from life in Australia to when and where to work and travel. Our IC will set up your bank account for you in advance, help you with tax paperwork and set you up with a mobile number and SIM card. You’ll also learn about social events and meet like-minded travelers.
Work and Travel (up to 12 months)
With the Work and Holiday Visa, you can take on short-term jobs at places like restaurants and hotels or in manual labor positions. Other kinds of work, including temp office jobs, are also possible. Jobs range in length from one day to up to six months (the longest you can work for one employer on the Work and Holiday Visa).
Our program provides pre-departure support, including visa application information and general advice, as well as job search and travel support throughout your time in Australia. Job support includes access to one-on-one advising (Sydney), a job database, phone and email support, social media updates and more.
Pay and Housing
The amount of money you earn depends on the type of job you do. Fruit-pickers can earn $15 to $20 an hour, while office workers can earn up to $25 an hour (Australian currency). Keep in mind the perks that come along with certain jobs—for example, farm work often includes accommodation and food. Our IC can provide housing and hostel referrals throughout your stay.
Surf Camp Option
What better way to make a million new friends and get over your jet lag than to start your program with a week learning to surf and chilling at the beach? You can add a five-day surf adventure to your Work & Travel Australia program with weekly departures right from your hostel in Sydney. This course, for absolute beginners, includes four nights of accommodation at a beachside surf camp (plus one extra night in Sydney on arrival), all equipment needed, all meals, round-trip transport to Seven-Mile Beach, awesome photos of you surfing, a free t-shirt, sunscreen and memories to last a lifetime.
You can expect to stand up, ride waves and learn the skills you need to continue surfing. Instructors are friendly, fully trained and qualified. They hold a Level 1 Surf Coaching Accreditation, Bronze Medallion Life Saving & Senior and First Aid Certificates. Seven Mile Beach National Park is an ideal location for beginners with low-energy waves and beautiful scenery.
This is a great way to socialize with some other travelers right off the bat. And who knows? ... Maybe you’ll meet your future roommate!
As a participant in our Work & Travel Australia program, you’ll receive:
- Airport pickup and transfer to accommodation
- Four nights of accommodation to help you recover from the long flight and experience beautiful Sydney!
- An Australian phone number and SIM card with credit to get you started
- A bank account set up for you in advance
- An orientation program in Sydney covering your job search, traveling, tax information and more
- An exclusive membership to our Aussie cooperator’s job service
- A recruitment agency that works directly with hundreds of companies around Australia to offer you work and make sure you get paid on time – for most jobs you will earn around $20 per hour
- Assistance applying for your required local tax filing number and superannuation refund information – you may be able to get some money back when you return home
- Notification of jobs via text message and/or email
- Unlimited free internet in Sydney and 15 locations around Australia
- Housing and hostel referrals
- Access to discounted international accident and sickness insurance
- Access to social and cultural activities with other participants from around the world, including a free city tour and beach walk
- A 24-hour emergency contact number
- Mail holding and forwarding service – your own address in Oz!
- A photo ID
- A welcome kit with free swag!
- An ISE card - International Student & Youth Exchange Identification Card
Program Fee: $745
Reserve your space by starting your application and making a $250 deposit.
Program fees cover the inclusions listed above as well as administration in the U.S. and Australia. They also help fund the grants awarded by the Foundation each year.
Surf Camp Add-on: $550 (includes all accommodation, meals, lessons, transportation and more)
Other costs to consider:
- Australian visa application (AU$420)
- Travel costs
- Personal spending money
- Travel health insurance (available through InterExchange if needed)
Program Start Dates
Year-round with multiple orientations held every week.
For those adding the Surf Camp week, your accommodation will begin Sunday night in Sydney, with a Monday departure to Seven Mile Beach.
Please apply at least six weeks prior to your desired start date. If you would like to start your program in less than six weeks, please contact us to discuss possibilities.
Up to one year
What is the Work & Travel Australia Program?
This program allows you to obtain work and travel in Australia for up to one year on a Work and Holiday Visa. Work & Travel Company (WTC), InterExchange’s international cooperator in Australia, will support you throughout your entire stay. The WTC Center is in Sydney, where participants will attend an orientation and enjoy personal support from a friendly team of staff. Throughout the country you will also have support via phone or email.
What benefit do I get out of the program?
Support before and during your entire stay. This includes a comprehensive orientation, support for finding jobs and housing, travel support and membership with our international cooperator, WTC, in Australia.
Should I add the week of Surf Camp?
This is up to you. Keep in mind that if you don’t want to surf the whole time it’s okay – Seven Mile Beach National Park is a beautiful place to explore and relax anyway. The benefit of the Surf Camp is that by the time you arrive at orientation, you will have already made some new friends and tried something new. Much of your anxiety in traveling to a new place will have been washed away with the tide!
Check out a short video about our Surf Camp add-on:
What is covered in the orientation?
During your comprehensive orientation, you’ll learn about:
- the Work & Travel Company team and how they can help you (including mail service)
- the bank system in Australia (your bank account will be opened for you in advance)
- working in Australia and the Australian tax system
- finding accommodation
- the best places to travel in Australia
- backpacking safely
- Australians and Australian life
- the Australian landscape, animals and weather
- beach safety information
- and much, much more!
Click here to read the rest of our Work & Travel Australia FAQs.