Language Homestay Italy
Experience Italian culture and contribute a valuable skill.
As a volunteer language tutor you’ll live with a welcoming host family, teach your host children English 15 hours per week, and experience Italy as a local. Your host family will provide you with a comfortable place to stay and all of your meals. This is a great way to experience Italy with a sense of purpose and immediate local connections.
In an effort to increase opportunities abroad we’re hosting information about International Experience in Italy. Learn more about International Experience.*
Le Marche (with occasional placements in other regions)
Apply at least 3 months in advance of planned travel
- 18-35 years old at program start date
- Native English speaker or equivalent
Opportunity to Learn
Learn about Italy and work on your language skills through a hands-on volunteer placement
Opportunity to Contribute
Help youth build confidence in English conversation through tutoring
Global & Local Communities
Connect with a host family and fellow volunteers
Le Marche Region
Most of our families reside in Le Marche, along the Adriatic Coast
Welcoming Hosts and Great Meals
Private bedroom and all meals included
Complete an application with International Experience in Italy
Meet your host family through video chat
Book your flight and head to Italy!
What to Expect
- Host families are screened for safety.
- Families submit applications and references, have an interview, and pay a program fee. They are not paid for hosting you.
A Typical Family
- Families vary in personality and size but they’re all excited about cultural exchange and value English exposure for their kids (and often the parents too).
- Usually, at least one parent is conversational in English. If you’d like to work on your Italian, let them know—they’re happy to help!
- Most families reside in the Le Marche region, are middle class, and have children in either elementary or middle school.
- International Experience will search for a family that’s open to hosting for your desired dates.
- Once they have a match, their team will send you the family’s profile.
- You’ll set up a video chat to ensure it’s a good fit with our guidance to help you make the most of your call.
Living with a Family
Living with a host family is about connecting with the family members and integrating into their life. Families want tutors who:
- are eager to learn about Italy and Italian culture.
- behave like an ambassador from the U.S. and a role model for the children.
- engage with them over meals and share their culture.
The Tutoring Role
- Generally informal and focused on helping with speaking and listening skills.
- Be creative! Use games, listen to music with English lyrics, or even watch English television and movies.
- You’ll receive sample tutoring activities and you’ll have a chance to connect with a family before you depart to find out what they’re looking for in a tutor.
- 15 hours per week (usually just three hours/day during the week)
- It’s rare for a host family to ask you to tutor on the weekends.
- When you connect with a potential family, you can discuss the tutoring schedule so you know what to expect.
- There’s lots of free time to venture out locally and travel on the weekends.
- Le Marche is filled with beautiful hilltop and beach towns and there are plenty of weekend trips to other regions, such as Bologna and Perugia.
- Some participants link up with each other to explore. We’ll connect you with anyone in your region.
*Disclosure: InterExchange may receive a commission for referrals