What types of jobs qualify?

Jobs that fall under categories 0, 1, 2, or 3 of Canada’s TEER system system are eligible. They must be paid, and must relate to your field of study, training, or occupation. If you do not have a qualifying job, please apply for the standard Work & Travel Canada program (also for U.S. citizens 18-35).

What's the difference between InterExchange, SWAP, and International Experience Canada (IEC)?

International Experience Canada (IEC)

For official purposes you will be a participant on the International Experience Canada (IEC) - Young Professional program. IEC is the government body that oversees work exchange programs to and from Canada. Citizens from some countries are actually able to apply for this program through IEC directly. However, IEC requires that U.S. citizens work with a private organization they recognize, a “Recognized Organization” (R.O.).

SWAP Working Holidays

SWAP is an organization recognized by IEC (R.O.) making it possible for U.S. citizens to participate. SWAP is a cultural exchange organization based in Vancouver and Toronto offering programs in Canada, as well as for programs Canadians traveling abroad. Once you’re in Canada, they will be your main point of support.


InterExchange collaborates with SWAP from the U.S. We support you, a U.S. citizen, during the application process and provide pre-departure information. We are available to demystify the sometimes confusing IEC application. InterExchange is nonprofit 501(c)(3) cultural exchange organization offering experiences in the U.S. for citizens of countries worldwide, and programs abroad for U.S. citizens.

I want to travel to Canada ASAP. How should I proceed?

The first step is applying with InterExchange, and then we will contact you within a few business days regarding the next steps. We will inform SWAP of your intention to apply and advise you on the work permit application process through IEC.

After applying through IEC you must await approval to travel, after which you’re able to obtain a work permit upon entering Canada. You must have travel medical insurance and support funds before traveling.

Work permit processing times vary but we enocurage you to apply at least three months prior to your job start date.

Can I stay in Canada for longer than a year?

Your time in Canada will be tied to the length of your job offer, with a maximum of one year. We are unable to assist with longer term immigration. However, it is possible to participate on International Experience Canada (IEC) programs two times if you re-apply.

How will I be supported on the program?

Prior to traveling, InterExchange provides guidance with respect to the work permit application process and your preparations for traveling. We also provide alumni resources upon your return. While in Canada, SWAP is available to provide guidance for housing and logistics including obtaining your Social Insurance Number (SIN), getting around, and finding activities in your area.

Where will I stay?

Most travelers have already planned accommodation or booked hostels independently for the early part of the program. If you prefer, we can arrange a few nights of initial hostel accommodation for you.

Can I leave Canada and re-enter?

Yes. You can leave the country and come back during the time your work permit is valid.

Can I extend my visa?

You may only participate for a maximum of 12 months. However, you may participate on the program a second time if you enroll again through InterExchange. This is not an extension. If you apply a second time, you must leave Canada and return in order to obtain your second work permit.

Can I take classes during my stay?

Yes, you can study for up to four months.

Must I work for the same employer the entire time of my stay?

If your employment ends, you may be able to obtain a new work permit but without this, you should not work for an employer other than the one you applied with initially.

U.S. Department of State-Designated J-1 Visa Sponsor
Alliance for International Exchange
The International Coalition for Global Education and Exchange
European-American Chamber of Commerce New York
Global Ties U.S.
International Au Pair Association
WYSE Travel Confederation