About Health Insurance

Note: If you have signed up for your program with the help of International Exchange Center (IEC), CKM 2000 Travel, or SAYIT in your home country, please click below to to get more information about your insurance.

All InterExchange Work & Travel USA students will be covered by accident and sickness insurance during their program in the U.S. InterExchange-arranged insurance is provided through Envisage Global Insurance.

Important points to remember

  • This insurance coverage is for accidents and sickness. It is not general health insurance. Not all illnesses are covered by the InterExchange insurance plan.
  • Injuries resulting from high-risk activities, such as motorcycle riding or hang-gliding, are NOT covered.
  • Illnesses that already existed prior to participation in the program (for example: diabetes, depression) are not covered by this policy.
  • Eye exams and dental exams are not covered by this policy, unless the problem is a result of an accident.
  • The name of your insurance company is Seven Corners.
  • You are insured during your program dates (your DS-2019 dates). InterExchange highly recommends purchasing coverage for your travel period.
  • Need to extend your coverage period? Contact the InterExchange representative in your home country or InterExchange while in the U.S.

Before you leave for the U.S.

Print your insurance ID card

Using your insurance while in the U.S.

24/7 Call-A-Doc

Your plan includes access to a virtual telemedicine service. If you have a minor or non-urgent medical need, you can use 24/7 Call-A-Doc to see a doctor or get a prescription from anywhere, at any time using your phone or computer. Get more details.

Non-Emergency Care

For immediate care in non-emergency situations, you SHOULD go to a Walk-in Clinic, Urgent Care center or local doctor. Urgent Care and Walk-in Clinics are often the best places to seek medical care as you can walk right in and they require no appointment.

Find a medical provider in the UnitedHealthcare (UHC) network:

Online; OR

Call the insurance company or InterExchange

Tip: You can also visit a local walk-in clinic or an urgent care center

Make an appointment

Show your ID card at the doctor's office

Pay your deductible ($150)

Ask the doctor's office to send your medical bills to the insurance company

IMPORTANT! You have 90 days from the date of service to submit the Proof of Loss Form to the insurance company. If you submit it late, your claims will be denied and you will be responsible for paying your medical bills.

Watch this video and learn how Exchange Visitors prepare for their arrival in the U.S., how the U.S. healthcare system works, and how students should seek medical care if they become sick or injured. You can also visit the Envisage Global Insurance Student Zone page for more information.

In an Emergency

Call 911 or visit an Emergency Room (ER) at your local hospital. Your deductible for visiting the ER when you are not admitted to the hospital is $350. Use of the ER in case of an injury will not be subject to the deductible.

Workers’ Compensation

If you are injured at work, all claims should be referred to your employer’s Workers’ Compensation policy. Please see our overview of Workers’ Compensation insurance policies.

Prescription Medication

Pay for your prescription medication and submit a copy of your payment receipt with a completed Proof of Loss Form to claims@sevencorners.com to get reimbursed. Use your Discount Drug Card to save money!

Making an Appointment With the Doctor Over the Phone

Here’s an example of how you might request a doctor’s appointment:

Hello, my name is <Your Name>. I am calling to make an appointment with Doctor <Name of the Doctor>. I have an American insurance plan provided by Seven Corners. My insurance uses the UnitedHealthcare (UHC) provider network and this doctor is listed as in-network. When is the next available appointment for new patients?

Note that some doctors might not have availability to accept new patients. Don’t get discouraged. There are many providers in the network.

FAQS: Insurance Basics

What is a deductible?

This is the amount you must pay out of your own pocket towards medical expenses before the insurance company is obligated to pay - outside of the USA, this is also known as “excess”. Under your insurance plan, you will have a $150 deductible for a doctor’s office visit. You have a $350 deductible for visiting the emergency room (unless you are admitted overnight).

What is pre-certification?

Some medical procedures need to be pre-certified, meaning that you or your doctor must notify the insurance company within 48 hours, or as soon as reasonably possible in the following cases: 

  • Hospital admission
  • Inpatient or outpatient surgery
  • Emergency medical evacuation
  • Emergency medical reunion
  • Trip interruption
  • Return of mortal remains

When I telephone the doctor to make an appointment and they request the name of my insurance, what do I tell them?

The plan utilizes the UnitedHealthcare (UHC) Network, so when calling or talking with providers, please mention this name or show the provider a copy of your insurance ID card with the UnitedHealthcare (UHC) logo on it for network recognition. Alternatively, or if any issues arise, please contact Seven Corners for assistance.

Can I go to any doctor?

Yes, you are free to visit any provider you wish. However, the benefit of staying within the network is that all bills and invoices may be settled without any payment (apart from your deductibles) on your part.

What does my insurance not cover?

Common exclusions on your insurance plan include dental (teeth), vision (eyes), pre-existing conditions, birth control pills, long term treatment and regular exams/check-ups. Please visit the Student Zone for a copy of your insurance brochure that will contain a full listing of the plan exclusions.

What if I lose my insurance card?

You can enter required information and download your card online. Or, contact InterExchange at 1.800.621.1202 or worktravel@interexchange.org and we will email you your card. You can also contact Seven Corners for assistance.

What do I need to take with me when I go the doctor’s office?

You should take with you:

  • Your insurance card
  • Passport (to use as identification)
  • DS-2019 Form (just in case they want to see it!)

Where do I find my individual insurance policy number?

Your insurance ID card contains both your Group ID (this is the same for all participants under the plan) and your certificate ID, which is unique for you and is your individual insurance policy number.

What is a claim form?

It is a form/application that you must complete after going to the doctor in order for the insurance company to pay their medical bill. You can download a claim form here.

Who has to file a claim form?

All Work & Travel USA program participants who go to the doctor must file a claim form.

When should I file the claim form?

As soon as possible after going to the doctor’s office.

Where do I send my claim form?

Email (preferred): claims@sevencorners.com

Fax: (+1) 317-575-2256

Mail:  SevenCorners, Inc. Attn.: Claims 303 Congressional Boulevard Carmel, IN 46032 USA

If my medical provider sent my bill directly to the insurance claims department, do I still need to fill out a claim form?

Yes, the claims department still needs a claim form from you in order to identify the medical bill they received from the medical provider.

What does the insurance company need from me in order to process my refund?

If you pay for any medical treatment, keep all receipts, bills, and invoices. Fill out a claim form and submit it with your payment receipt(s) to the insurance company (see above).

What should I do if the medical provider sent the bill directly to me and not to the insurance company?

If you received a medical bill, fill out a claim form and submit it with your bill to the insurance company.

How do I buy prescription medication in the United States?

You will need to pay for your prescription medication up-front and submit your receipt and a claim form to the insurance company to be reimbursed.

How can I check the status of my claim?

You can set up your online account to access information about claims here and to contact the insurance company with any questions you may have.

Insurance and International Travel

Am I covered under the insurance plan when I travel outside the country?

Your health insurance plan does not cover you if you go on vacation back in your home country and suffer from an accident or sickness. The insurance plan does cover you if you suffer an accident or sickness while on vacation in all other countries.

Important Contacts

Seven Corners

877.702.6767 (24/7 toll-free) or 317.582.2622 (24/7 Direct Dial)

Mailing Address:
Attn. Claims
303 Congressional Boulevard
Carmel, IN 46032


1.800.621.1202 (toll-free) or 917.873.5877 (emergency after business hours)

U.S. Department of State-Designated J-1 Visa Sponsor
Alliance for International Exchange
The International Coalition for Global Education and Exchange
European-American Chamber of Commerce New York
Global Ties U.S.
International Au Pair Association
WYSE Travel Confederation