General Program Information  |  Previous U.S. Experience  |  J-1 Visa & Documents  |  Application Process & Participant Qualifications  |  Housing Information  |  Information for Current Participants  |  Online Application TroubleshootingInsurance

General Program Information

What is InterExchange Career Training USA?

InterExchange Career Training USA helps students and young professionals from outside the United States enjoy internships and training programs across the U.S. The program provides participants temporary opportunities to gain international experience in order to advance their careers in their home countries. InterExchange is designated by the U.S. Department of State to provide J-1 Visa sponsorship for international interns and trainees who find their own internships and training opportunities.

What is the purpose of the program?

The primary goal of the InterExchange Career Training USA program is to enhance your skills and expertise in your academic or occupational field and to improve your knowledge of American business techniques, methodologies, and technology. Career Training USA programs cannot be used for ordinary employment or to displace American workers. Internship programs should allow you to develop practical skills in your academic field that will enhance your future career and bridge the gap between your education and practical work experience. Training programs must include bona-fide training and not simply be additional work experience.

What are the eligibility requirements for the program?

To find out if you are eligible for the program, first review the participant requirements. You can also take our eligibility quiz.

Can InterExchange Career Training USA help me find an internship? Do you offer placement services?

No. Unfortunately, we cannot find an internship for you. If you have not already found an internship, you will not be eligible for the program at this time. If this is the case, we encourage you to search for internships using our internship guide.

I found my internship! Are there any requirements my employer must meet?

Yes. Please review our summary of employer requirements.

What is the difference between an Intern and a Trainee?

The main difference between interns and trainees has to do with the education and experience required of each.

Interns must be current students or recent graduates of a post-secondary academic institution outside the U.S. that grants degrees or certificates. If you’ve completed your studies, you must start the internship program within one year of graduating. Interns are permitted to intern in the U.S. for up to 12 months, and your field of training must be related to your field of study.

Trainees must have earned a degree or professional certificate from an overseas post-secondary academic institution and have at least one year of related professional experience acquired outside the U.S. Alternatively, if you do not have a degree or certificate, you must have at least five years of related professional experience acquired outside the U.S. As a trainee you are permitted to train in the U.S. for up to 18 months, unless you are participating in a Hospitality/Tourism program, which cannot exceed 12 months. Your field of training must be related to your professional experience.

I am starting university next month. Can I apply as an intern?

Not yet. You must be a full-time student currently enrolled in and pursuing studies at a university outside the U.S. You will be eligible to begin an internship once you have completed at least one year of your degree program.

Can I train in a field outside my academic studies or past work experience?

No. Program regulations require that interns and trainees have sufficient past education or work experience to successfully complete their training.

How long can I stay in the U.S.?

The maximum duration of the J-1 Intern Visa is 12 months. The maximum duration of the J-1 Trainee Visa is 18 months. Hospitality/Tourism training programs are limited to 12 months for both Interns and Trainees, per the program regulations.

Do I need insurance?

Yes. Accident and sickness insurance is included in your program fee and is required for all participants. This insurance meets all U.S. Department of State requirements and will cover you through your 30-day grace period at the end of your program.

Can I bring my dependents (spouse and children) to the U.S.?

Yes. Your spouse and/or dependent children may accompany you for the duration of your program. However, they must apply for the J-2 Visa (also sponsored through InterExchange Career Training USA). Please indicate on your application that you will be bringing your spouse and/or children with you and provide the dependent information requested in the application.

Do my dependents need insurance?

Yes. Please include the appropriate insurance payment when applying. Independent coverage may not be used in place of the insurance provided through InterExchange. Prices for dependent sponsorship and insurance can be found under Miscellaneous Fees on our Costs & Fees page.m.

Previous U.S. Experience

I’ve spent time in the U.S. in the past. Am I eligible for this program?

Past experience in the United States does not automatically disqualify you from program participation. However, as this is a cultural exchange program, applicants with significant recent experience working or studying in the U.S. would be ineligible for this program.

I am already in the U.S. Can I apply?

No. Applicants must return to their home country to apply to the Intern/Trainee program. If you require a change of status from another visa to the J-1 Visa, InterExchange will not be able to assist you.

I am currently participating in the J-1 Visa Work & Travel program. Can I apply to be an Intern or Trainee?

You may apply to the Intern or Trainee program, but you must first return to your home country. The Intern/Trainee program may not function as an extension of the Work & Travel program. Please note that InterExchange does not generally approve applications in which participants will be returning to their Work & Travel employers. Contact our office if you have any questions about whether your program is eligible.

I have already done an Intern/Trainee program. Can I do the program again?

Yes. To qualify for a new J-1 Intern Visa, you must show that you are learning new or more advanced skills. InterExchange cannot sponsor back-to-back J-1 Intern Visas. You must return to school for at least one more term before applying to another J-1 Intern program in order to demonstrate that you are actively pursuing a degree.

Interns/Trainees who have previously completed a J-1 Intern or Trainee Visa must wait at least two years before being eligible for another J-1 Trainee Visa. This is required for all participants who have previously held a J-1 Intern or Trainee Visa and is not related to Rule 212(e), also known as the two-year home residency requirement.

J-1 Visa & Documents

What is a J-1 Visa?

The J-1 Visa is a non-immigrant visa issued through the Exchange Visitor Program. Recipients of the visa must complete the objectives of their specific exchange program. The program categories offered through InterExchange Career Training USA are “Intern” and “Trainee.”

Can InterExchange issue a J-1 Visa?

No. Upon approving an application, InterExchange will issue a DS-2019 Form, or Certificate of Eligibility. You will then take the DS-2019 Form to the U.S. Embassy/Consulate in your home country to apply for the J-1 Visa. We sponsor the visa, but we cannot issue it.

How do I find a visa sponsor?

InterExchange can sponsor your J-1 Visa! Confirm that you meet our requirements to start the application process.

I have already had a J-1 Visa. Can I get another J-1 Visa through InterExchange Career Training USA?

Applicants who have previously participated in a J-1 intern or trainee program, or had J-1 Visas in other categories (Au Pair, Student, Work and Travel, etc.) may be able to apply for both the J-1 Intern and J-1 Trainee Visa at a later date, but this is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Please contact us to discuss.

What is a DS-2019?

In order to apply for a J-1 Intern/Trainee visa, an applicant must first be approved for sponsorship and be issued a DS-2019 Form, which is a U.S. government document certifying that we have agreed to sponsor your J-1 Intern/Trainee visa.

What is a DS-160?

Once you receive your DS-2019 and SEVIS number, you’ll need to complete a DS-160. This form is submitted electronically to the Department of State before scheduling a visa interview. U.S. Embassies and Consulates use the information entered on the DS-160, as well as a personal interview, to determine youreligibility for a visa.

What is SEVIS?

SEVIS is the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System. All Interns/Trainees must be registered in the SEVIS database, which InterExchange will do if you are approved for sponsorship. You will be contacted regularly throughout your Intern/Trainee program to confirm your details in SEVIS are still accurate.

What is the SEVIS fee?

All participants must pay the $220 SEVIS fee prior to your visa appointment at the U.S. Embassy. You will include this fee with your program fees and InterExchange will pay it for you. This fee goes to the Department of Homeland Security, not to InterExchange.

How do I make an appointment to get a visa?

After completing your DS-160, follow your consulate or embassy’s online instructions for making a nonimmigrant visa appointment. Be sure to check your local embassy or consulate’s website, as requirements may vary from country to country. Ensure you have documented proof of ties to your home country or country of residency (documents may show you will return to school, have a job offer after your program, own property, etc.)

How should I prepare for my visa appointment?

Please note that nearly all Career Training USA participants, except Canadian citizens, will be required to interview at the embassy/consulate. If you are required, please prepare for your interview using the following tips.

What is an I-94 record?

The I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record) is used by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to track the arrival and departure of foreign nationals. Visitors will receive an I-94 record upon entering the U.S. If coming to the U.S. by air or sea, the arrival record will be recorded electronically by U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP). We recommend you access and print your electronic arrival record by visiting the CBP site. Visitors coming to the U.S. through a land border (most common with Canadian or Mexican participants) will receive a paper I-94 record from the CBP officer at the port of entry. Those receiving a paper I-94 will be asked to give the card back when they leave. Please note the date indicated on your I-94. This is the date by which you must leave the U.S. If it is marked “D/S”, that means you may remain in the U.S. for the duration of your status (the end date of your program, plus your 30-day grace period).

I lost my I-94 card. What do I do?

If you entered the U.S. through a land border and were given a paper I-94, please hold on to it. If you have lost your I-94 card, you can apply for a new one on the CBP website. Please note that you will have to pay for a new I-94 card, so it is a good idea to staple it to one of your passport pages. Anyone who entered the U.S. through an airport or seaport will have an electronic I-94 form which can be downloaded from the CBP website.

Application Process & Participant Qualifications

How do I apply?

InterExchange strives to make the application process as simple as possible, while adhering to U.S. government requirements. Please review our application process.

When should I begin my application?

We recommend that you begin your application six to eight weeks before your intended start date. This allows sufficient time for you host employer to develop your training plan and for you to schedule a visa appointment. Please note that wait times for visa appointments can be longer than average during the summer months, so make sure to plan accordingly.

How long does the application process take?

Our review time is approximately 10 days once we receive both a complete application and full payment. We cannot review your application until all documents and payment have been submitted. If your employer requires a site visit, the review process may take longer. See the Host Employer Requirements for more information about site visits.

Please review our full application processing timeline.

Can you expedite the review of my application?

InterExchange Career Training USA offers expedited application review, which will be completed within three full business days once the application is complete and In Queue for formal review. This service is offered for an additional fee. All other applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis. If you are not requesting the expedited review option, we suggest you submit your complete application to InterExchange at least eight weeks prior to the date on which you intend to begin your internship or training in order to allow sufficient time for application processing, your visa appointment, and travel.

I can’t submit all of my documents right now. Can InterExchange still approve my application?

In order to process an application, all information must be included. We cannot begin reviewing your application without all required documentation, so it is best to wait until your application is complete and submit all the materials at the same time.

What are the reasons an application might be rejected?

Each application is considered on a case-by-case basis and we may reject any application that we feel does not meet our interpretation of the program rules and regulations. The most common reasons for rejecting an application include the following:

  • The applicant does not have the required education or experience in order to satisfy the eligibility requirements.
  • The proposed internship/training program is for unskilled labor. If you are intending to perform unskilled or manual labor (waiting tables, housekeeping, etc.) our Work and Travel program may be better suited for you.
  • The host employer does not meet the program requirements. All requirements must be met in order to be eligible.
  • The proposed internship/training program is not related to the applicant’s field of study or occupational experience. Interns’ programs must be related to their academic field of study and Trainees’ programs must be related to their occupational background.
  • The proposed program is in a field InterExchange is not able to sponsor. Our general categories for sponsorship are as follows: Hospitality and Tourism; Information Media & Communications; Management, Business, Commerce, and Finance; Public Administration & Law; the Sciences, Engineering, Architecture, Mathematics, and Industrial Occupations; and Arts & Culture. We encourage you to review our sponsored fields to ensure we are able to sponsor your program. If you have any questions about whether your field is eligible, please contact our office.
  • The applicant is currently in the U.S., or is currently on another visa and requesting a change of status.
  • The applicant has spent a considerable amount of time in the U.S., including those who have recently completed a degree and/or optional practical training within the U.S.
If my application is approved, am I guaranteed to get a visa?

The decision to grant a visa is the U.S. Embassy/Consulate’s alone. While visa denials are rare, they do occur. InterExchange has no control over the U.S. Embassy/Consulate’s decision to grant or deny a visa application, but we will discuss alternative options with you if you are denied a visa.

Do my dependents need to complete an application for the program?

Yes. Although we do not require a separate application for dependents, there is a section in the application where you can add your dependent’s biographical information. If you are bringing more than one dependent, please include the required biographical information for each individual. Dependents must also submit a copy of their passport and full dependent program and insurance fees. Finally, all dependents 18 years or older must also sign the dependent visa sponsorship agreement which you must then upload to your online application.

Are there any requirements my employer must meet?

Yes. Please review our summary of employer requirements.

Is my employer required to pay me?

Intern programs of six months or less may be paid or unpaid and will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Please review the compensation section of the participant handbook for more information. Any pay or benefits should be arranged between you and your host company. You may only intern or train at the location of your internship/training program, per the program regulations, so if your position will be unpaid, please ensure you will have sufficient funds to support yourself while in the U.S. Further, any unpaid internships must meet the Department of Labor’s test for unpaid internships. All Interns whose programs are longer than six months and all trainees with programs of any length must be paid at least the local, state, or federal minimum wage, depending on which is highest.

I can’t submit all of my documents right now. Can you still approve my application?

In order to process an application, all information must be included. We cannot begin reviewing your application without all required documentation, so it is best to wait until your application is complete and submit all the materials at the same time.

I received my degree from inside the U.S. Do I qualify for the program?

To be eligible for the program, the regulations state that your degree must be earned in a post-secondary institution outside of the U.S. Therefore, your U.S. degree does not qualify you for the program. If you are currently attending a U.S. institution, you may be able to pursue practical training after graduation as part of your current academic visa. Visit an international student advisor at your school to learn more about your options.

I am a part-time student. Can I apply as an intern?

No. You must be a full-time student currently pursuing studies at a university outside the U.S.

My work experience was in the U.S. Do I qualify for the program?

Per the regulations for the program, only experience earned outside the U.S. is counted towards your eligibility. Therefore, you must first earn sufficient work experience outside the U.S. in order to be eligible.

How do I prove I have the requisite work experience for the Trainee visa?

If you are trying to show eligibility based on your degree plus one year related professional work experience or based on your five years related professional work experience earned outside the U.S., you must submit employment verification letters which show that you have earned the appropriate number of years of related professional work experience. These letters must be from employers outside the U.S. and meet the criteria for employment verification letters listed on our required documents page.

Can I arrive before my visa begins?

Yes, you may arrive up to 30 days before your visa start date. However, if you arrive more than seven days before your intended program start date you’ll need to submit early arrival insurance payment.

Housing Information

How do I find housing in the U.S?

Please take a look at Housing Information for details on how to obtain housing in the U.S. You may also save or print our Housing Checklist (PDF) to take with you when visiting potential apartments or residences.

What is the estimated cost of renting an apartment?

Housing costs vary greatly throughout the U.S. Generally, it is more expensive to live in highly-populated urban areas, like New York or San Francisco, and less expensive to reside in suburban or rural regions. Ask your employer what the average cost of housing might be in the area, and check out online listings in the area to get a sense of the average costs.

How long does it take to secure housing?

This, too, will depend on where you are living and when you start looking. In large cities, there are usually more options and it can be easier to find something quickly. It is recommended that you arrange short-term housing before your program so that you can look for something more long-term after you arrive. Visit our housing page to begin looking for housing in your host city.

Do I have to start searching while still in my home country?

No. We recommend finding a hostel for a few days or weeks initially, and then conduct a more thorough search after your arrival. However, it is helpful to do initial research on your host city and begin to identify some housing options to check out once you arrive.

Does it matter that I will only be in the U.S. temporarily?

No, as long as you make this clear to your landlord. Do not sign a 12-month lease on an apartment if you only plan on being here nine months. You will be required to pay for the entire year even if you don’t stay the whole time.

What safety precautions should I take when searching for housing?

Use the same caution you would when searching for housing in your home country. Be sure you know what the neighborhood is like at night and the nearby transportation options. You should also carefully investigate any housing options you find online and try to secure prior to arrival; if you wire money to a person you have never met, it could be a housing scam.

Which documents will be required when I sign a lease or contract?

This will vary depending on what type of housing you have but can include identification, proof of income, credit history, housing history, and the signature of a guarantor.

What is a security deposit?

Most landlords will require you to pay a security deposit upon moving in. This insures the landlord against any housing damage from your residency. The security deposit is usually equal to one month of rent. You are entitled to a refund of this amount at the end of your lease if you leave your housing in the same condition as when you moved in.

Do I have to live with a roommate?

No. For both personal and financial reasons, many participants find it beneficial, but the choice is yours.

Are apartments furnished?

Generally apartments are not furnished. However, there are ways to find furnished housing. Often sublets are furnished and if you’re living on a university campus, rooms will be furnished. This will always be specified within the details of the listing. If it is not, be sure to ask.

Is internet/cable provided?

Unless you are staying in university housing, internet and cable is generally not provided. If you sublet an apartment, these amenities may already be in place, but you should find out if this will be an additional monthly cost for you.

Will my employer help me find housing?

It depends on the employer. Most will be able to make suggestions and answer questions but probably cannot actually find or offer you a place to live. Don’t hesitate to ask your employer questions about housing in the area, the general costs, or resources they can recommend.

What if I don’t like my housing?

You can change your living situation at will, but depending on what kind of lease or contract you signed, you may have to pay for the unoccupied apartment for the time you were supposed to be living there. This is one reason we suggest finding short-term housing (e.g. a hostel) at the beginning of your program and then conducting a thorough search while here.

Information for Current Participants

I just arrived in the U.S. Is there anything I need to do?

Please complete our arrival form within ten days of arrival with the following information:

  • Your exact arrival date into the United States
  • Your residential address in the United States
  • Your mobile and residential phone number (if you have secured one) in the United States
  • Your Date of Birth
  • Exact arrival date of your dependents (if applicable)

We will send you an arrival email and you must complete the webform at the link provided. However, if you do not receive or cannot find that email, you may also email us or contact us by phone (888) 621-1202 if you do not have access to the Internet. Upon receipt, we will activate your program in SEVIS. This is very important. If you do not contact us, you will go into ‘No Show’ status, and your program will be cancelled.

After you arrive in the U.S., InterExchange will order your insurance, and you will receive an email from with your insurance ID card. Be sure to check your junk/spam folder if you don’t receive an email within a week of notifying us of your arrival.

How do I get a Social Security Number?

To apply for a Social Security Number, visit a Social Security Administration Office near your host employer. To find an office near you, visit the Social Security Office Locator. Most Social Security offices are only open Monday through Friday and are busiest around lunch time. Try to avoid going during this time, if possible.

When applying for a Social Security number, please bring the following items with you:

  • Your passport, including your J-1 Visa
  • Your DS-2019 Form
  • Your I-94 Arrival/Departure printout or card)
  • Your Dear Social Security Officer letter, included in your acceptance package from InterExchange
  • Your Application for a social security number

You can also find the instructions on how to apply for a Social Security Number and what documents you should bring in the Participant Handbook. Please refer to the Social Security Administration website for more information.

I am moving to a new address. Is there anything I need to do?

You must notify InterExchange within ten days of any change of address so that your record can be updated in SEVIS.

My supervisor changed at my internship/training program. What should I do?

Please inform InterExchange immediately via email or phone. InterExchange will need to know the name, job title, phone number, and email of your new supervisor. Your new supervisor will also need to sign your DS-7002 Form through our online system.

What do I do if I am sick?

Please visit our insurance information page for more details on the insurance we arrange for you and how to schedule a doctor appointment.

What do I do if I lose my DS-2019 Form?

Please notify InterExchange immediately.

What do I need to do if I want to travel outside the U.S. during my program?

You must submit your original DS-2019 Form to InterExchange Career Training USA for a travel validation signature before you leave the U.S. You can mail your DS-2019 Form to the InterExchange office (registered mail is advised) or if you are in New York City, you may visit our office. If you are coming to the InterExchange office for a signature, you must schedule an appointment in advance. Please send us an email listing your travel dates, destination, and the date of your most recent travel validation signature.

Should you like us to return your DS-2019 via UPS, there is a $20 shipping fee that can be paid through our application. Please include a self-addressed envelope with the address of where you would like your form returned.

Note that you may not be away from your internship/training program for more than 30 days. If you do not return to your host employer on or before the 30th day after your last day in the office, you will no longer be actively pursuing your program and your program will be ended in SEVIS.

Do I need a travel validation for trips within the U.S.?

You do not need to have your DS-2019 Form signed for travel within the United States, but we do recommend that you keep your visa documents with you and secured while you are traveling.

What do I do if I’m arrested, detained by immigration officials, seriously injured, or have any other emergency?

Please contact InterExchange Career Training USA immediately. The toll-free number during business hours is (888) 621-1202. During non-business hours or the weekend, you can contact our emergency line at (917) 373-0994. All other non-emergency inquiries should be made during normal business hours to our toll-free number listed above.

Can I get another job to earn some extra money during my internship?

No. The J-1 Intern/Trainee regulations prohibit you from pursuing additional employment. You may only perform your internship or training program while in the U.S. and you may only do so at the site of activity indicated on the Training/Internship Placement Plan (DS-7002).

I am not happy with my current host employer. Can I switch to another company?

If you are experiencing workplace problems or concerns we recommend that you first discuss the situation with your supervisor and/or InterExchange; problems are often resolved this way. If the problem cannot be resolved, you may be able to change your host company. You must first notify InterExchange Career Training USA by email explaining why such a change is necessary. If we agree that a change of host is reasonable, we will send you the Change of Host Application, which should be completed with your new host employer and submitted to us for review. If approved, you may begin training with your new host employer. Please note that you are not permitted to begin training with a new host employer until your application has been approved by Career Training USA. If you do so, you will be training at the company illegally and could be subject to program termination.

I would like to return home before completing my program. Is there anything I need to do?

If you decide that you are going to end your program and leave the country early, you must contact InterExchange Career Training USA by phone or email. You must also submit the following information:

  • Intern/Trainee Final Evaluations from both you and your employer.
  • If you are departing early, please send an email stating that you are ending your program and returning home. This should include:
    • Your last day of training at the company
    • Your intended date of departure
    • The reason for ending the program early
I was fired, but I do not want to return home. Can I stay in the U.S.?

If you were fired, you must contact Career Training USA immediately. Depending on the circumstances of the termination of employment, you may be eligible to apply for a Change of Host Employer. If you do not switch host companies, though, you must leave the U.S. within 30 days of the last day you interned/trained at your former host company.

I really like my Internship/Training program, but it is ending soon. Is there any way that I can stay in the U.S. a little longer?

The maximum duration of the Internship program is 12 months and the maximum duration of the Trainee program is 18 months (12 months for Hospitality/Tourism). If your program is shorter than the maximum durations listed above, you may be able to extend your program. Please read more about program extensions. A Note: You cannot extend your program past the maximum duration listed above.

When should I submit my extension application?

You must submit an extension application 30 to 60 days before your program end date.

I was approved for an extension, but my J-1 Visa will expire during my extension period. Is that okay?

It is okay if your visa expires during your extension period if you intend to remain within the U.S. for the full duration of your extension. If you are approved for an extension, InterExchange will send you a new DS-2019 Form for your extension period, and that form will allow you to continue to intern or train. The extension DS-2019 Form is what allows you to legally intern or train in the U.S. The J-1 Visa is what allows you to enter the U.S.

If you plan to travel internationally during your extension period, then you must apply for a new J-1 Visa in order to reenter the U.S., since your original J-1 would have expired. This is not something to be worried about, but definitely something to plan for if you intend to travel internationally during your extension period. Please refer to your Participant Handbook for more information on applying for a J-1 Visa.

My host employer said they want to hire me permanently. What should I do?

You must leave the U.S. at the end of your J-1 Visa program, as this is a temporary cultural exchange program. Leaving the U.S. at the end of your program is a necessary part of completing your exchange, and this is specified in the federal program regulations for the J-1 Visa. Further, you agree to leave the U.S. at the end of your program when you sign the Participant Agreement form in your online application and verbally agree to this as well when InterExchange or one of our overseas cooperators interviews you for the program.

My Internship/Training program is ending soon. Can I do the program again?

Yes, but InterExchange cannot sponsor back-to-back J-1 Visas. To qualify for a new J-1 Intern Visa, you must show that you are learning new or more advanced skills. You must return to school for at least one more term before applying for another J-1 Intern program in order to demonstrate that you are actively pursuing a degree or show proof of your recent graduation from your degree program if you have no more coursework to complete.

Interns/Trainees who have previously completed a J-1 Intern or Trainee Visa must wait at least two years before being eligible for a J-1 Trainee Visa. This is required for all participants who have previously done a J-1 Intern or Trainee Visa and is not related to Rule 212(e), also known as the two-year home residency requirement.

In the majority of cases, InterExchange will not approve applicants wishing to return to the same host employer at which you completed a previous internship or training program. Please contact us to discuss your specific case if you do wish to train with the same employer.

My program has ended. How long can I remain in the U.S.?

Although you are not permitted to intern or train past the end date on your DS-2019, you are permitted to stay a maximum of 30 days past the end date to travel within the U.S. and prepare for your departure. This is referred to as the “grace period”.

How do I do my taxes?

For information on how to file a tax return, please refer to the Participant Handbook. InterExchange staff are not licensed tax professionals. If you have any specific tax questions, we would always advise that you contact a tax preparer or call the IRS information line: 1.800.829.1040.

What do I do if I have problems with insurance, housing, my host employer, etc. during my program?

Please read about some of the of difficulties you may encounter during your program and how to resolve them. As always, please let InterExchange know if you experience any issues or concerns during your program so that we can assist you.

Online Application Troubleshooting

Why didn’t my Host Employer receive the application invitation email?

First, confirm that the email was sent to the correct email address. If it is correct, have your host employer go to They should click on “Forgot Password” and they will receive an email which will allow them to log in and set up a password. Ask all users to add to their address books to ensure email delivery.

My employer is trying to access the invitation to the online application via email but they receive an “invitation token is invalid” error. What should they do?

Usually this means your employer is attempting to login using the activation link again rather than the link to the application itself. Please have your employer use this link to access the application: If they have already activated their account but cannot remember their password, they can go to this link, click “Forgot Password” and enter their email address. After they enter their email, they will receive an email from with password reset instructions.

What are your system requirements for the online application?

The online application is compatible with IE8+, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, and Safari web browsers. For the best performance, we suggest using the most recent version of Google Chrome. Document Upload Requirements: Maximum file size is 10MB. File types accepted are PDF, PNG, and JPG ONLY.

What if my Host Employer Supervisor is not authorized to sign the program agreement on the online application?

Ask the employer to share the application with a colleague who IS authorized. When the supervisor is logged in to their account, they will see a box on the right side of the page that says “Invite Colleagues.” This will take them to another page where they can enter the name and email address of a colleague who will then be invited to join the account, where they can complete, review, edit, or submit an e-signed application on behalf of the host company.


Please review the Insurance section of the Participant Handbook for more detailed insurance information

What is a Co-Pay?

Although your insurance plan will pay most of your medical bill, they do require you, as the patient, to pay a small portion. This portion is called a co-pay. Under your insurance plan you will have a co-pay for every doctor’s office visit, a hospital stay, or other form of care. For every visit, you will pay the co-pay and the insurance will pay the remaining qualified expenses. If you visit an out-of-network doctor, you can expect a larger co-pay for each doctor’s office visit.

What is a Deductible?

This is the amount you must pay for medical expenses before the insurance company is obligated to pay - outside of the USA, this is also known as excess. Under your insurance policy you have a deductible for visiting the emergency room (unless you are admitted overnight, at which point the fee is waived). This means if the emergency room bill is less than your deductible, you will have to pay the entire bill; if it is more than your deductible, then you will only pay the deductible and the insurance company will pay the remaining amount of qualified expenses.

When I telephone the doctor to make an appointment and they request the name of my insurance, what do I tell them?

The plan utilizes the UnitedHealthcare Network, so when calling or talking with providers, please mention this name or show the provider a copy of your insurance ID card with the UnitedHealthcare logo on it for network recognition. Alternatively, or if any issues arise, please call Seven Corners (the company who processes your insurance claims) immediately for assistance.

Can I go to any doctor?

Yes, you are free to visit any provider you wish, but it it not advisable to see doctors outside of the provider network. The benefit of staying within the preferred provider network is that bills and invoices may be settled directly without any payment (apart from your deductibles) on your part.

What does my insurance NOT cover?

Common exclusions on your insurance plan include dental (teeth), vision (eyes), pre-existing conditions, birth control pills, long-term treatment & regular exams/check-ups. However, please visit the Envisage Global Insurance Student Zone page for a copy of your insurance brochure that will contain a full listing of the plan exclusions.

What should I do if I am feeling suicidal?

Some, but not all, mental health expenses will be covered by your insurance plan. Mental health care can be expensive and not all doctors or clinics offer these services. If you are feeling suicidal, we suggest you contact one of the following organizations:

Should I go to a hospital emergency room?

We generally recommend that you visit a doctor’s office or urgent care clinic for treatment. You will likely have to a shorter wait time, and urgent care clinics tend to be much less expensive than hospital emergency rooms. Generally, you should ONLY visit a hospital emergency room if you are experiencing a serious injury or a life-threatening illness.

Am I or are my dependents subject to any requirements in the Affordable Care Act?

Most likely you and your dependents are not subject to ACA requirements. For more information, please read this blog post.

Does my employer provide insurance?

Your host employer may offer you health insurance as part of your compensation package. A health insurance policy may be a good addition to the coverage that you have during your program. However, you may not cancel the accident and sickness coverage purchased through InterExchange. The InterExchange-arranged policy is designed to meet the insurance requirements set forth by the U.S. Department of State and will provide benefits specific to being on an international exchange program.

What if I lose my insurance confirmation card?

Please visit the Seven Corners Contact Us site to request that a new card be emailed to you.

What do I need to take with me when I go the doctor’s office?

You should take with you:

  • Insurance confirmation card with your Individual Policy Number
  • Passport (to use as Identification)
  • DS-2019 Form (just in case they need to see it)
How/where do I get my individual insurance policy number?

Your insurance ID card contains both your Group ID (this is the same for all participants under the plan) and your certificate ID, which is unique to you and is your individual insurance policy number.

What is a claim form?

It is a form/application you must fill in after going to the doctor in order for the insurance company to pay your medical bill. Download your claim form.

Who has to file a claim form?

All Career Training USA Interns/Trainees who receive medical treatment must file a claim form.

When should I file the claim form?

As soon as possible after going to the doctor’s office and no later than 90 days after you received treatment. After 90 days, you will not be reimbursed for your medical expenses.

What does the insurance company need from me in order to process the refund?

A signed and dated claim form and either the physician’s bill or a fully itemized statement of charges (a complete list of everything the doctor’s office has charged you) with the diagnosis written on the doctor’s letterhead.

If my medical provider sent the bill directly to the insurance claims department, do I still have to fill out a claim form?

Yes, but the bill and claim form do not have to be mailed in together. As long as the medical provider sent in the bill you only have to send in your claim form. However, sending both together may help to expedite payment of your bill.

How do I find out the status of a claim?

Log into your MyPlan account, or call/email Seven Corners. If you do not have a MyPlan account, you can create one at the MyPlan Homepage. Seven Corners can be contacted at:

Phone: 877.702.6767 (24/7 toll-free) or 317.582.2622 (24/7 Direct Dial) Email:

I received an unpaid bill from the doctor’s office I visited. What should I do?

First, call the doctor’s office to ask if they have submitted the bill to Seven Corners. If they did not receive your correct insurance information, you may give them Seven Corners’ details so that your claim can be processed. If the bill was submitted to Seven Corners but has not yet been processed, please log into your MyPlan account or contact Seven Corners in order to find out why it had not yet been paid.

I am unhappy with the results of my insurance claim. What steps can I take?

If a claim has been processed and you are not happy with the results, you can request that Seven Corners review the claim again. To do this, you can email Seven Corners to request another review. Appeals can be emailed to:

U.S. Department of State-Designated J-1 Visa Sponsor
Alliance for International Exchange
Exclusive partner of the Erasmus Student Network for J-1 Visa sponsorship of internships in the U.S.
European-American Chamber of Commerce New York
Generation Study Abroad
Global Ties U.S.
International Au Pair Association
WYSE Travel Confederation
The International Coalition for Global Education and Exchange