Three Ways for U.S. Citizens to Work and Travel in Canada

2 minute read

Lake Louise
Lake Louise
Image courtesy of Tanner D.

Enjoying Canada with the Option to Work

If you’ve set your compass north and need some ideas on working out the logistics, here are a few options for you as a U.S. citizen.

Working Holiday

International Exerience Canada (IEC) offers a number of options to visit for longer than a tourist, with the ability to work. One of those options is the working holiday program for young adults between 18 and 35. A working holiday lets you travel and explore another country, often for as long as a year, with the ability to take on seasonal jobs along the way. You aren’t limited to one specific job and don’t even need a job lined up before you travel.

Although the U.S. isn’t listed as an eligible country for directly applying with IEC, U.S. citizens can participate as long as they have the support of a Recognized Organization. InterExchange collaborates with an R.O. in supporting U.S. citizens on the working holiday program.

The working holiday spots tend to fill up quickly each year so contact us to get on the wait list.

Horse Riding in Banff Canada
Horse Riding in Banff Canada
Image courtesy of Jess K.


Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms (WWOOF) is a cool way to experience another country through the eyes of local hosts. Your hosts will offer room and board in exchange for help on the farm, generally around 3-4 hours per day. You can sign up for a small fee and gain access to listings of participating farmers to contact directly about volunteer opportunities. Be sure to learn about their accommodation situation and exactly what kind of help they’re seeking.

Young Professionals

Another IEC option for U.S. citizens (18-35) is the Work & Travel Canada Young Professional program. This program does require that you have a paid job lined up already, and the job must have something to do with your academic or career field. Also, the job must fall within type 0, A, or B of Canada’s National Occupational Classification (NOC) categories.

Spots on the Work & Travel Canada Young Professional Program are also limited so apply with us now!

Have questions about options for traveling and working in Canada? We’d love to hear from you! Drop us a line.

U.S. Department of State-Designated J-1 Visa Sponsor
Alliance for International Exchange
The International Coalition for Global Education and Exchange
European-American Chamber of Commerce New York
Global Ties U.S.
International Au Pair Association
WYSE Travel Confederation