Landing page
U.S. Residents
Travel Experiences for U.S. Residents
Work & Travel
Work & Travel Canada

Build a career in Canada

The International Experience Canada (IEC) program allows a limited number of U.S. citizens age 18-35 to obtain a visa to live and work in Canada for up to a year. U.S. citizens are required to apply to the IEC program through a youth service organization called a Recognized Organization (RO), that offer work and travel support for the duration of travels in Canada. 

work and travel usa collage

Exciting things await you in the north

A working holiday up north will stimulate your mind and fulfill your sense of adventure! With six time zones, Canada has it all: some of the best ski slopes in North America, stunning islands, and cosmopolitan cities offering up international cuisine and renowned art festivals.
hear from our participants

Life-changing international opportunities

InterExchange programs expand the worldviews of participants and hosts alike. Participants experience personal and professional growth, while hosts enjoy the intercultural value that these young people bring to their businesses and communities.

Trustpilot logo

How it works


Participants can travel and stay anywhere in Canada. Support services available in Toronto, Vancouver, and virtually.

Program dates

Flexible start dates once visa is pre-approved. Once activated, visas are good for up to a year.

Application deadline

Typical applications can take 1-3 months. Rolling while government visa pools run, typically Jan-Sept.


What does the program fee cover?

Your program fee covers the services provided by both InterExchange and SWAP Working Holidays.

While in Canada, SWAP is available to provide guidance with finding jobs, housing, and logistics including obtaining your Social Insurance Number (SIN), getting around, and finding activities in your area. They have a jobs database for members, friendly staff available to speak with you about your work and travel goals, and support centers with orientation sessions every week in Toronto and Vancouver.

InterExchange provides information with respect to the work permit application process and your preparations for traveling.

Most jobs on a working holiday tend to be short-term and seasonal. These jobs are typically in the fields of travel and tourism, hospitality and resorts, food and beverage, retail, manual labor, event set up, etc. Jobs can range from one day to a few months. That being said, it is possible to find more professional work. Just speak with our partner SWAP about your work goals and they can point you in the right direction and provide resources for your search.

If you’re interested in our job placement service you will complete an additional form with your InterExchange application and pay an extra fee of $295. After we approve your application, SWAP’s team will reach out with a resume guide so that you can tailor your resume to Canadian expectations (when you’re ready SWAP will review it for you). Then they’ll set up a virtual interview and pass your resume on to your preferred employer(s). If you’re suitable for the job the employer will reach out directly to set up an interview. SWAP will prepare you with an interview guide. After successfully completing the interview the employer will send a formal job offer. InterExchange will continue to advise you on pre-departure processes including the work permit application.

Travel experience

Start your Canadian adventure today

Sign up today, and we’ll be in touch about getting you on your way to Canada. It’s free to get started!

Need more information?

Complete the form and our team will get back to you soon with more details about the program.