Social Security Numbers for Participants
Social Security Numbers for Participants

Social Security Numbers for Participants

InterExchange Work & Travel USA participants enter the U.S. on a J-1 Visa and are required to apply for a Social Security number. Host Employers must provide information for the most convenient Social Security Administration location in the Arrival Instructions section of their InterExchange account. Use the Social Security Office Locator, to find the closest office to your business. Social Security cards are mailed from the processing center to participants at the address provided on the application form approximately 4 to 6 weeks after applications are submitted. We recommend participants use their host employer’s mailing address when filling out their Online Social Security Number Application. Cards sent to addresses without a mail receptacle may be sent back or severely delayed.Participants are allowed to work and be paid before their Social Security card arrives. After applying, participants will be given a Social Security letter of receipt, which serves as proof that the participant has applied for a Social Security card. Participants should provide you with this letter of receipt and maintain a copy for their own records. Please notify your payroll company that participants may begin work with proof of application.If a participant does not receive his or her Social Security card within 6 weeks, you should have them contact Social Security at 1.800.772.1213 to find out the status of the application.
Important: Participants will not be issued a Social Security number if they have not registered in SEVIS. They must register as soon as they arrive in the U.S. through their InterExchange online account. Participants need to wait at least 3-4 business days after registering in SEVIS before applying for a Social Security number.
There are sometimes issues or delays with a Social Security application because of security flags or issues with their name being correctly entered exactly as it is on their documents.If your participant needs information on how to apply for their Social Security number, please have them visit our Work & Travel USA Participant Resource page.

Social Security Application Process

SSA = Social Security Administration
Register housing address in SEVIS
arrow down black
Wait 3-4 business days
arrow down black
arrow down black

Use the Social Security Office Locator at to find your closest office. You’ll need to bring the originals AND two photocopies of the following documents:

  • Photo page of passport
  • Visa page of passport with print out of I-94 record
  • Dear Social Security Officer Letter
  • Printed DS-2019 Forms that are signed using digital software (make a photocopy of both front and back)
    • On July 20, 2023 the Social Security Administration published this directive to all offices to accept printed Forms DS-2019 that are signed using digital software or printed and signed in ink.
arrow down black
SSA accepts application?
YES and NO flowchart
Wait 4-6 weeks to get your card in the mailbox
arrow down black
Received Social Security card?
YES and NO flowchart
Bring card to employer to copy and keep the original

Call SSA to check status and inform InterExchange.

What are an employer’s responsibilities when hiring international visitors who don’t have Social Security numbers?

Advise participants that they are required to apply for a Social Security number and card. If a participant applied for but has not yet received a Social Security number, ask to see and retain a copy of the receipt letter as proof of application. You should also get the following information as completely as possible: the person’s full name, address, date of birth, place of birth, father’s full name, mother’s full maiden name, gender, and the date he or she applied for a Social Security number.

Yes. Participants may start working and can be paid prior to receiving their Social Security numbers. We encourage all participants to apply for their Social Security number as soon as possible, but wait at least 3-4 days after registering in SEVIS. They should provide proof of application (a copy of the application receipt and/or a copy of the Online Social Security Number Application confirmation page) to their employer.

  • Paper Filers: If the worker applied for a card but didn’t receive the number in time for filing, enter “Applied For” in Box A.
  • Electronic Filers: If the worker applied for a card but didn’t receive the number in time for filing, enter all zeros in the field for the SSN.

Remember to ask your employees for the number and the exact name printed on their Social Security card when he or she receives it.

Learn more on the SSA website.

If you receive their Social Security number after you file your wage report, file Form W-2C (Corrected Wage and Tax Statement). Learn more on the SSA website.

Yes, there is a penalty for not reporting a worker’s Social Security number, but this fine is usually waived if the employer can prove reasonable cause for not reporting the Social Security number. Employers will receive Notice 972CG — or a notice of proposed penalty — and will have 45 days to respond. The employer must prove that they acted in a responsible manner and that the failure to submit a Social Security number was not due to willful neglect.

To help prove reasonable cause:

  • Collect employees’ proof of application, which can include a copy of their paper application Form SS-5 or a copy of their Online Social Security Number Application confirmation page, a copy of the application receipt (sometimes mailed after they have applied) or a signed statement from the participant stating that they have applied.
  • Document the participant’s full name, gender, address, date of birth, father’s full name, mother’s maiden name, and the date of application.
  • Make at least one solicitation for the correct Social Security number either by mail, telephone, electronically, or in person and document this solicitation and the results. Retaining a copy of Form W-4 can also be considered a solicitation for the correct Social Security number, but additional solicitations may be required.

Publication 1586 details the requirements of proving reasonable cause as well as answering additional questions regarding missing Social Security numbers. Section (m) in regulation 301.6724-1 details the procedure for seeking a waiver of the penalty.

If you have a forwarding address for the participant, please forward the card to them. If you do not have an address for the participant, please mail the card to: InterExchange Work & Travel USA, Attn: Social Security Information, 100 Wall Street, Suite 301, New York, NY 10005. We will forward it to the participant.

When Exchange Visitors apply for Social Security numbers, the Social Security Administration (SSA) verifies their documents directly with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Exchange Visitors must be listed as active in SEVIS before the SSA issues a Social Security number. Most applications are verified immediately, but there can be delays. Social Security understands that this process may affect companies who hire Exchange Visitors, but direct verification from DHS is vital to ensuring the integrity of the Social Security number.

Social Security numbers are generally assigned to people who are authorized to work in the United States. They are used to report your wages to the government and when filing your tax return. Also, when opening up a new bank account, most banks require either a Social Security number or proof of application for a Social Security number.

Your card should arrive in the mail within four to six weeks of your application date. It is important that your mailing address that you use in your Online Social Security Number Application is accurate to ensure that your card gets delivered to you. If you change your mailing address after you submit your application to the Social Security office, it is your responsibility to inform the Social Security Administration of this change by calling or visiting any Social Security office. If you do not currently have a valid mailing address, you may have the card sent to InterExchange Work & Travel USA at: 100 Wall Street, Suite 301, New York, NY 10005, and we will forward it to you at a later point in time.

No, you do not need to apply for a new number. If you do not remember your number or have lost your card, you will need to apply for a replacement by visiting your local Social Security office, which can be found by visiting:

The Social Security Administration will not accept a student’s application and documents if you have not yet registered your housing address in SEVIS. We recommend going to the Social Security office at least three to four business days after initially registering your housing address in SEVIS. The Social Security Administration recommends waiting at least 10 days after arriving in the United States before applying. If they do not accept your application, take detailed notes of what the Social Security officer says and report this information to InterExchange by calling 1.800.621.1202.

If you put your employer’s address in your Online Social Security Number Application, check with them to ensure that they have not received your card. The Social Security Administration can be contacted at: 1.800.772.1213. An update on the application status will usually be given over the phone. In the event that there is an issue with the application, take detailed notes and call InterExchange to help resolve the issue. You can also reapply in person at your local Social Security office, which can be found at:

The Online Social Security Number Application will speed up the application process when you arrive in-person to show the Social Security officer your documents and finish the application. If you are unable to submit your Online Social Security Application, you can bring a completed Form SS-5 (paper application form) with you to your local Social Security office.

As long as you have earned income in the U.S. you are still required to file a tax return for the year(s) during which you worked. If you have not been able to receive an SSN but do need to file a tax return, you can apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) alongside your tax return. Please view our resources on Filing Your Tax Return Once You Return Home for more information.