How it works
Experience American culture while working and exploring the USA.
InterExchange is offering direct visa sponsorship to eligible participants. Apply directly with InterExchange and experience our exceptional customer service, fast processing times, and affordable prices.
Step 1: Determine Your Eligibility For Direct Sponsorship
Meet the following requirements:
- You are a citizen of Australia.
- You are between the ages of 18 and 28.
- You are a full-time university student actively pursuing a degree or other full-time course of study at an accredited institution and have successfully completed at least the first year of study, or graduated within the last 12 months.
Step 2: Create Application and Upload Required Supporting Documents
Create your account in the InterExchange Online Application and upload required documents:
- Complete all fillable sections of the application.
- Upload all of the required supporting documents.
- Passport copy (must be valid through program dates)
- Proof of student status from university
- Reference letter
- Proof of Funds (at least $2000 USD in bank account)
- Submit your application.
Step 3: Submit Payment
- Submit payment for InterExchange program fees, SEVIS, and insurance for the duration of your program. It will say “Payment Received” in the Payment section of your dashboard within one to two business days of submitting payment.
- If you cancel for any reason, you will be refunded the full amount.
Step 4: Schedule Your Interview With InterExchange Staff
Once we have received confirmation of payment, we will contact you to schedule your interview. During the interview we will discuss whether you prefer to find a job offer on your own, which can be anywhere in the U.S., or prefer for InterExchange to provide a job offer in a seasonal resort town. All job offers must be approved by InterExchange before you can begin work and must be entry-level in nature.
Step 5: Complete InterExchange Online Orientation
- Complete the mandatory InterExchange Work & Travel USA online orientation which you can access in your InterExchange Online Application account.
Step 6: Job Offer Confirmation
If you find a job offer on your own before arrival to the U.S., InterExchange will vet your job offer for approval according to program guidelines and regulations
If you ask InterExchange to find a job offer for you, we will organize an interview with your prospective employer before approving a job offer.
Any job offers procured after arrival to the U.S. will be vetted for approval according to program guidelines and regulations.
Step 7: Receive Job Confirmation and Forms
- You will receive job confirmation in your InterExchange Online Application.
- You will receive your visa sponsorship forms in the mail.
Step 8: Schedule Your Visa Appointment at the Embassy/Consulate
- You will receive an email with important pre-departure information and your SEVIS ID number.
- Complete your DS-160 form and schedule your visa appointment at the embassy or consulate on the embassy website. Use the details from your confirmation email; it is not necessary to wait for your acceptance packet to arrive to start this process (but you WILL need it for the actual visa interview). Be sure to check for visa appointment and processing wait times.
- We will ship you an acceptance packet via UPS. Please review all additional program information and documents, including your DS-2019 Form, which you must bring with you when you apply for a visa.
Step 9: Attend Your Visa Interview & Prepare for Departure!
- Collect all documents required by the embassy or consulate where you will apply.
- Attend your visa interview and receive your visa.
- Review your participant handbook, insurance information, and other pre-departure materials provided in the acceptance packet.
- Finalize your travel arrangements. Remember to enter your visa interview date, visa result, and flight information in your online application.
- Depart for the USA!
To participate in the Work & Travel USA, program you must be:
- A citizen of Australia
- Between the ages of 18 and 28
- A full-time university student actively pursuing a degree or other full-time course of study at an accredited institution, or graduated within the last 12 months
$1500 USD, which includes InterExchange program fees, SEVIS fees, insurance for the duration of your program, and processing fees for your visa sponsorship forms.
What you’ll earn on the program
All InterExchange Work & Travel USA students are covered by basic minimum wage laws and overtime as it applies from state to state. As of July 24, 2009 the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) minimum wage was set at $7.25 per hour. Where state or local law requires a higher minimum wage, the higher standard applies.
You’ll be responsible for costs such as rent, food, entertainment, and more. So make sure to save for your 30-day travel period!
Make your American dream come true
The program is at capacity for summer 2024. Please check back in September 2024 for details about future seasons!